2016 CX9 Owners Thread

wow, so the Mazda chrome "wing" grille below the logo actually lights up ?

I'm surprised there's no picture of that in any of the brochure or official press release pictures......

that's very cool, thx cubanomx, love the red color, nice touch with the turbo emblem under the Skyactiv emblem ;)

Last edited:
i thought only the signature trim had the LED grille lighting? GT as well??????

i thought only the signature trim had the LED grille lighting? GT as well??????

You are correct. Only the signature trim have the LED grille lighting, according to the info I read on the Internet. But my GT have some signature items already like Led grille lighting, interior led accents and other minor stuff add-ons.

I'm surprised there's no picture of that in any of the brochure or official press release pictures......

that's very cool, thx cubanomx, love the red color, nice touch with the turbo emblem under the Skyactiv emblem ;)

yes, the "wing" grille below the logo lights up. the photo don't make real world justice, the led is not so bright. It's a discreet signature. I take the photo in low light condition with an old Blackberry.

Last edited:

here's a video of the LED grille, it's very subtle, not bright enough to distract driver's in front of you......

but I'll bet you'll know it's a CX-9 at night once you see it in the rear view mirror, no other car out there right now

that has that grille wing LED, although it does remind me of the 2010-2012 CX-9's front bumper design with the big smile

Last edited:
There is a good video comparing quality and details between the MDX 2016 and Mazda CX9 2016.

https://youtu.be/-4sH0T1V-u8

What do you think?

Obviously is a Mazda's Marketing video, but surely highlight strongly good points about the build, materials and quality.

About painting, it make you think, how can a Shop match the paint job when you get the need to fix an external panel, if the original paint job is so exotic; that may result on mismatch on the paint tone/color/feel result after a repair. That is not a concern on any model 2015 or previous.

Obviously is a Mazda's Marketing video, but surely highlight strongly good points about the build, materials and quality.

About painting, it make you think, how can a Shop match the paint job when you get the need to fix an external panel, if the original paint job is so exotic; that may result on mismatch on the paint tone/color/feel result after a repair. That is not a concern on any model 2015 or previous.

That was a concern I had thought about. If Mazda goes through this specialized process, how could your neighborhood auto body shop match it perfectly? I wonder what Mazda would say about this.

Anyone installed car seats yet? I would like to put 2 car seat on the 60 split portion so an adult can sit on the 40 split. Is that possible?

Anyone installed car seats yet? I would like to put 2 car seat on the 60 split portion so an adult can sit on the 40 split. Is that possible?

Yuuuup.

Depends on the brand. 2 diono car seats will work in the configuration you want. 2 graco 4evers will be a tight fit. I've had to switch between those 2 brands over the past for weeks for non car reasons.

Cool thanks. When I looked at the back of the middle seat, there is a top tether icon but where is the hook? And is there latch or seat belt for the middle row?

Cool thanks. When I looked at the back of the middle seat, there is a top tether icon but where is the hook? And is there latch or seat belt for the middle row?

Check out Alex on Autos review of the CX-9. I believe he mentions something about tethers in most of his car reviews. He's quite mindful of that, for some reason.

[video=youtube;wiJCGow7EoA]2016 Mazda CX-9 First Drive Review - in 4K UHD![/video]

Speaking of car seats, is anyone that owns a CX-9 6ft tall? I'm wondering if a car seat would fit behind a 6ft driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of car seats, is anyone that owns a CX-9 6ft tall? I'm wondering if a car seat would fit behind a 6ft driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 6'3"....my kids are in boosters. However, if you slide the second row aft as far as it will go, you should be ok with a car seat, even if it's rear facing.

So, I got to spend some time in a CX-9 while waiting for an oil-change on my CX-5. Overall, really nice car. I drove a GT version. Some immediate things were the car felt like it had plenty of power, the interior felt very nice but simple and the rear storage was shockingly small.

Sport trim in the U.S. does NOT have the Bose system.

Sport trim in the U.S. does NOT have the Bose system.

I have the BOSE sound system but the audio it's inferior in quality compared with my old CX9 where I had Infinity speakers. I will check if I can change the speakers in the doors for something with more quality.

Current audio power, bass, distortion levels and channel separation are more than OK, but I miss my super bright high freqs.

Back