2016 CX-9 Wheel well trim became detached

Check this video out from the dealership service department. https://tvidnow.com/73v5dqw This is crazy as you can clearly see the holes that have markings that had retainers which is only 3 out of the 12 holes! Yes, it would have held in place just fine had it NOT been missing the majority of its retainer clips.
That's crazy how they keep saying you had to hit something. Imo, Any collision hard enough to dislodge that would have caused other visible and extensive damage to the vehicle as well.

Using their explanation that it was held on by many fasteners and it would take a lot of force to remove. Assuming that is right, only possibility is someone purposely ripped it off because if it was done by impact, there would be more carnage then a missing molding. And so why would someone randomly rip it off? Doesn't make sense.

I also have a 2018 CX-9. I purchased it with only 28k miles so it was fairly new in great condition. Probably about 6 months later the right rear trim fell off while I was driving. I was able to recover it and attach it back on but it ended up coming off again while I was driving on the highway. Unfortunately that time, I was not able to recover it and I had to go through my Mazda dealer to replace it. It was not covered by warranty so I came out of pocket $350 for parts and labor. A few months later the LEFT rear trim flew off while I was driving on the highway and I wasn’t able to recover it. I called the same Mazda dealer and the part was back ordered a month out. But it hasn’t been recalled by Mazda yet. SMH. It’s obviously an issue with the manufacturer. And I’ve seen a few Mazdas (CX-5 and CX-9) in my area that have the trim missing! We as Mazda owners need to start calling and complaining about this issue and maybe they will look into it.

Happy to find this thread but this seems to be a major problem with these cars and hazardous to both the mazda driver and anyone else behind that could be a recipient of car debris flying off.

My story: Wife ran over some very minor debris on the freeway in two separate incidents and in both incidents the wheel trim became detached. 1st incident, the entire trim was taken off the car and could not be found on the freeway.

2nd incident, the trim came partially off and was hitting against the tire.

No damage in both cases to any other parts of the car but I inspected the trim and it's clear what's happening in her case. The debris is hitting the rubber "mud flap" and that's pulling the rest of the trim with it. Clips are doing their job and holding their plastic pieces in place. Where the plastic "bracket" meets the main part of the trim for each clip perpendicularly, this seems to be a weak point in the plastic and breaks away. It happened in several spots :(

I plan to notify Mazda as to me this seems dangerous enough to warrant a recall or at least an investigation since it's placing both the Mazda driver as well as any other drivers in harms way.

I also was traveling on the highway in my 2019 CX-9 and the molding just flew off for no apparent reason! I tried contacting Mazda USA, they advised me to take it to the dealer (Wilkens Mazda, Elmhurst, Illinois. Took it in. Service writer sent me a video saying that it is a very common issue. Called Mazda USA back, they told me the dealer had to file a claim. After calling the dealer several times, I finally got ahold of the service Manager (Bob) who said he doesn’t understand why Mazda USA is telling me to contact him. He cannot do anything because he doesn’t have the molding! So, I was supposed to stop on the expressway and pick it up?????? Long story short, I will be paying for the molding, which is up to over $200.00. Oh, and by the way, I made a claim with the National highway traffic safety Administration.

I also was traveling on the highway in my 2019 CX-9 and the molding just flew off for no apparent reason! I tried contacting Mazda USA, they advised me to take it to the dealer (Wilkens Mazda, Elmhurst, Illinois. Took it in. Service writer sent me a video saying that it is a very common issue. Called Mazda USA back, they told me the dealer had to file a claim. After calling the dealer several times, I finally got ahold of the service Manager (Bob) who said he doesn’t understand why Mazda USA is telling me to contact him. He cannot do anything because he doesn’t have the molding! So, I was supposed to stop on the expressway and pick it up?????? Long story short, I will be paying for the molding, which is up to over $200.00. Oh, and by the way, I made a claim with the National highway traffic safety Administration.

I'm pretty sure the service desk is supposed to file a claim with Mazda USA to have them cover the cost of the fender molding and the labour. Then the service desk orders the part, and technicians install it when it comes in. To me, it sounds like the service manager didn't want to buy the part, they wanted Mazda to send it to him. I don't think that's how it works, but I don't know for sure.

BTW, you should not be paying for the replacement part. You have a 3yr/36k mi bumper-to-bumper warranty for a reason, and this is one of those reasons. Call Mazda USA and explain the situation with the service manager, maybe there is a lack of communication somewhere between the manager and Mazda USA.

I'm pretty sure the service desk is supposed to file a claim with Mazda USA to have them cover the cost of the fender molding and the labour. Then the service desk orders the part, and technicians install it when it comes in. To me, it sounds like the service manager didn't want to buy the part, they wanted Mazda to send it to him. I don't think that's how it works, but I don't know for sure.

BTW, you should not be paying for the replacement part. You have a 3yr/36k mi bumper-to-bumper warranty for a reason, and this is one of those reasons. Call Mazda USA and explain the situation with the service manager, maybe there is a lack of communication somewhere between the manager and Mazda USA.
I called Mazda USA and they said the dealer had to file a claim. I finally called the dealership where I bought it. I explained to them what the Mazda dealer near my house, said to me. They said for me to bring it in. They took a look at it, said it was no fault of mine, they would order the part and let me know when it comes in and it would be covered. I guess it just depends on the dealership. Definitely a defect!!!

I called Mazda USA and they said the dealer had to file a claim. I finally called the dealership where I bought it. I explained to them what the Mazda dealer near my house, said to me. They said for me to bring it in. They took a look at it, said it was no fault of mine, they would order the part and let me know when it comes in and it would be covered. I guess it just depends on the dealership. Definitely a defect!!!
Yes. If the dealership could have got you to buy a part, that's extra profit for them. They make no profit when Mazda USA provides the part...only the labor hours.

Likewise I've found that dealerships don't appear to like servicing other dealers customers unless there a hefty profit in it for them.

That's par for the course. Whether it be cellular phone sales, appliances, cars, etc. ,no one likes servicing others customers.
When in sales, I took advantage of that and serviced other customers,.. and they ended up buying all future products from me. Most business are shortsighted though.

I am the original owner of a 2016 CX-9 and my right rear wheel opening molding flew off driving down the interstate as well. I have also seen at least 3 other Mazda CX's missing the molding over the last year or so. It is a great vehicle, but this is clearly a design flaw or at least poor assembly.

Look on the bright side. These plastic parts are pretty cheap and pretty easy to replace.

@Lnaq, if something flew up and knocked it off (e.g. a piece of tire, a rock, a tree branch), put in a comprehensive claim. I keep my comprehensive deductible at $100 for this very reason -- I dont want to pay out of pocket for stuff that's not my fault or out of my control.

Back