2016 CX-9 Roof Rack

pdats

:
CX9 Sport
Hi,
I have a somewhat new CX-9, Sport model that didn't come with any roof rails. I want to install a rack. I seem to be getting conflicting reports on the model of rails and crossbars that will fit the 2016 CX-9.
My dealer gave me these numbers - 00008LR01 and 00008LR02 which turned on searching out to be the ones for CX5.
0000-8L-N01 & 0000-8L-N02 seem to be the numbers for the CX-9 but some dealers comments say that they fit the 2015 and not the 2016. I was wondering If anyone has installed rails and crossbars on their sport model CX-9.
Thanks.
Datta.

I'm not delighted with the Mazda rack system. The roof rails have (as far as I know) only one option for cross bars. The Mazda cross bars are not adjustable fore and aft, and have a significant side-to-side curve that prevents anything flat (like a full-width cargo box) from being attached. Also, the rails are fairly wide, so you should verify that the attachments you plan on using will fit.

If my CX-9 hadn't come with the roof rails, I would have been much happier with some low-profile feet that attach directly to the roof. But, if the side-to-side curve doesn't bother you, and you aren't carrying anything too long (like a kayak or stand-up paddle board) the factory racks don't create much wind noise and they look really good.

These are the ones I ordered: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
We dont get roof rails in Australia...
I'm not quite sure what the deal is with the Mazda roof rails. The don't perform any of the functions of normal roof rails in terms of allowing some flexibility in terms of how rack accessories are attached. But they do make it mandatory for us to buy Mazda cross bars.

Pat, if you don't already have roof rails, you might want to look for something more like the Australian rack system.

Wondering if anyone solved the mystery of best roof rack for a non rail CX-9. Have one you really like?

I did find the OEM part numbers but kind of hoping there was a better aftermarket solution. Any thoughts here? Anyone try rhino rack? Yakima? Inno? Thule? Rola? Another? I have no roof rails.

Hi - I'd like to bump this thread. I'm considering buying a 2017 CX-9 but no roof rails. If I want the dealer to install roof rail, the option is the ones flush with the roof... why are manufacturers going with these kinds? You can't tie anything underneath them, so it seems much less useful that standard raised rails (like on my Forester or 2015 and earlier CX-9s). Anyway, we do long trips with a cargo box often and I have universal cross bars that attach to the raised rails on my Forester. Any suggestions for the best cross bar option for a newer CX-9 without the flush roof rails? I worry about the kind that sort of attach where you close the door scratching the paint... but would like to hear about any recommendations and experiences. thanks

Hi - I'd like to bump this thread. I'm considering buying a 2017 CX-9 but no roof rails. If I want the dealer to install roof rail, the option is the ones flush with the roof... why are manufacturers going with these kinds? You can't tie anything underneath them, so it seems much less useful that standard raised rails (like on my Forester or 2015 and earlier CX-9s). Anyway, we do long trips with a cargo box often and I have universal cross bars that attach to the raised rails on my Forester. Any suggestions for the best cross bar option for a newer CX-9 without the flush roof rails? I worry about the kind that sort of attach where you close the door scratching the paint... but would like to hear about any recommendations and experiences. thanks
I'm sure CAFE standard for fuel economy and design trends are both part of this.

The side rails can be fitted later by yourself or the dealer. They are easy to install.

The mount points can also be used for aftermarket.

Look at Thule and their rack picker tools for other guidance.

Guess this would be the best option:

Thule AeroBlade ARB60
Thule Rapid Traverse Foot Pack
KIT1854

The whole bit is over $500 which seems like a lot but that appears to be the situation
So this setup will definitely attach where you close the door, and you mentioned you were worried about the paint scratching. I wasn't sure if you were aware of that.

Honestly - I think you're better off getting the OEM roof rails and crossbars and installing them yourself. MazdaSwag.com has the whole setup for under $500 (https://www.mazdaswag.com/index.php...scatgrp=cargo-management&scatsubgrp=roof-rack). That said, I know the Mazda OEM crossbars sit kind of low, so I don't know if there would be clearance issues with the antenna for your cargo box. I have Thule crossbars and the appropriate Thule feet and attachment kit, with a Force L cargo box that has no problem clearing the antenna. But I know the Thule crossbars sit higher than the OEM crossbars.

Back