2016 CX-5 Sport Pennzoil PZ-37 oil and filter change

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
I did an oil change at Tires plus last weekend. They used Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 0w-20 oil with a Pennzoil PZ-37 oil filter. My vehicle has about 57k. I have normally done my oil changes at the Mazda dealer which use castrol 0w-20, but these days they are charging way too much for synthetic oil changes.

How good is the PZ-37 oil filter? I normally get my oil changed every six months/5k miles.

How does the engine sound when it starts up? I've used Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 several times and it seems fine.

I did an oil change at Tires plus last weekend. They used Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 0w-20 oil with a Pennzoil PZ-37 oil filter. My vehicle has about 57k. I have normally done my oil changes at the Mazda dealer which use castrol 0w-20, but these days they are charging way too much for synthetic oil changes.

How good is the PZ-37 oil filter? I normally get my oil changed every six months/5k miles.
The oil is fine. But according to Pennzoil website, there’re 4 different kind of oil filters for CX-5 2.0L / 2.5L. Purolator PL14612、Pennzoil PZ-37、Pennzoil Platinum HPZ-37、and Performax PO-37. PZ-37 definitely is not the best oil filter offered by Pennzoil for 2.0L / 2.5L although their oil filters are made by someone else (Purolator?).

Almost all after-market oil filters are one-size-fit-all for many different vehicles. On the other hand, Mazda OEM has different oil filters for specific engines. I’d use OEM oil filters all the time.

The oil is fine. But according to Pennzoil website, there’re 4 different kind of oil filters for CX-5 2.0L / 2.5L. Purolator PL14612、Pennzoil PZ-37、Pennzoil Platinum HPZ-37、and Performax PO-37. PZ-37 definitely is not the best oil filter offered by Pennzoil for 2.0L / 2.5L although their oil filters are made by someone else (Purolator?).

Almost all after-market oil filters are one-size-fit-all for many different vehicles. On the other hand, Mazda OEM has different oil filters for specific engines. I’d use OEM oil filters all the time.
I also prefer the Mazda oil filters at the dealer. I know the Oil change places don't use the best filters.

OEM is best since it is custom for Mazda. What we don't know about non OEM filters is the amount of spring tension for the pressure release, or the density of the filtering media. If it has a weaker spring, oil might bypass the filter. If the filtering media is too dense, it would restrict oil flow and again oil might bypass the filter.

Back