2016 CX-5 Sport oil change interval?

Yes, if you want to keep the car for long, change the oil within 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. Make sure to reset the Oil Change with Flexible setting after you changed the oil.

The only thing I’d be concerned is changing oil at “Tiresplus”. Mazda dealer should be better, but you still want to find out what kind of bulk oil they use.

IMO, the best way to change oil without DIY is you buy your own oil (preferred 0W-20 or 5W-30 SP / GF-6 full synthetic oil) and correct OEM oil filter and take them to a reputable indie for the oil change paying them only the labor (~$20). And make sure ask them to save empty oil bottles and oil filter box for you.
I am afraid to take it to Tires Plus again because of the oil filters they use. I believe Pennzoil PZ-37. The dealer probably uses a Mazda oil filter.

Pretty much not one single quick lube place uses correct oil filters for the cars they service. Because of the myriad of different cars they service, and the fact that almost all car manufacturers really only use one of just a couple of different oil filter thread sizes, the quick lube places will only keep the most basic oil filter SKUs. They pick one that will physically screw onto the majority of cars, and just use that one, no matter if it's a Chevy, Mazda, or Porsche.

I am afraid to take it to Tires Plus again because of the oil filters they use. I believe Pennzoil PZ-37. The dealer probably uses a Mazda oil filter.
Honestly Pennzoil PZ-37 at least is listed on Pennzoil website as the oil filter used on the Mazda 2.5L. But PZ-37 is also listed for Mazda 2.5T and many other engines from other car manufactures.

You can buy the oil filters directly from the dealer's parts desk. Just make sure you ask for the filter that is made for your engine. I usually buy 4-5 filters at a time. They cost about $10 CAD each, and the drain plug washers are included in the box.

I believe many Mazda dealers either disabled Oil Change in Maintenance Monitor or set it to Fixed at 5,000 miles, although the default from factory is Flexible. You can review the setup on your Maintenance Monitor, although your Sport is not as easy as just bringing up the App on infotainment screen if I remember it correctly. Check your owner’s manual.
Sounds right. Had my oil changed not long ago and it's set to fixed/5,000 miles.

You can buy the oil filters directly from the dealer's parts desk. Just make sure you ask for the filter that is made for your engine. I usually buy 4-5 filters at a time. They cost about $10 CAD each, and the drain plug washers are included in the box.
I buy mine by the 6 pack from a dealership that sells on eBay, and get them for $6 USD each. Smokin' deal for sure.

Not anymore. Cost cutting...Filter was shrink wrapped no box...had to buy crush-washers 89¢ each.
They'll get my 89¢ for another few years/84k miles.

Last edited:
Yes, if you want to keep the car for long, change the oil within 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. Make sure to reset the Oil Change with Flexible setting after you changed the oil.

The only thing I’d be concerned is changing oil at “Tiresplus”. Mazda dealer should be better, but you still want to find out what kind of bulk oil they use.

IMO, the best way to change oil without DIY is you buy your own oil (preferred 0W-20 or 5W-30 SP / GF-6 full synthetic oil) and correct OEM oil filter and take them to a reputable indie for the oil change paying them only the labor (~$20). And make sure ask them to save empty oil bottles and oil filter box for you.
Yes... If not DIY, find a good local mech you can trust. It will cost you less $$ in long run with better service. Grew up with local mechanic... even when moved out of state, just asked the locals who they used.

I use mine for inspections and all the difficult grunt work no longer wish to do...
Or oil changes when too busy to DIY.

You may want to DIY your oil, brakes, battery, sparks and alternator unless they are in some hard to reach places.

If you don't have a trusted mech, then ask around.
Friend, family, neighbors, coworkers, someone will get you to the local sage.

Last edited:
Not anymore. Cost cutting...Filter was shrink wrapped no box...had to buy crush-washers 89¢ each.

Sounds like they were offering the -MV filters. Still suitable for ensuring warranty remains intact, but likely not as "good" as the Thailand-made 1WPY/1WPE filters or the Japan-made PY8W/PE01 engine oil filters. You should be able to request the Thailand-made filters, those ones come in a box, with the top of the filter pre-lubed and shrinkwrapped. They'll cost a bit more.

Sounds like they were offering the -MV filters. Still suitable for ensuring warranty remains intact, but likely not as "good" as the Thailand-made 1WPY/1WPE filters or the Japan-made PY8W/PE01 engine oil filters. You should be able to request the Thailand-made filters, those ones come in a box, with the top of the filter pre-lubed and shrinkwrapped. They'll cost a bit more.
Hmmm.. they didn't offer those. Yeah they gave me Mazda branded ones with the MV on the end. Coming from a Ford, they're the smallest filter I've ever seen. Even the Toyota filter back in the day we're middle sized.

Hmmm.. they didn't offer those. Yeah they gave me Mazda branded ones with the MV on the end. Coming from a Ford, they're the smallest filter I've ever seen. Even the Toyota filter back in the day we're middle sized.

Yeah I think I remember seeing a photo somewhere that compared the -MV filter to the Japanese filter, and the Japanese one appeared to be bigger in size.

This’s another “to be different” Mazfa way selling a different “MV” line of Mazda maintenance parts which makes no sense to me. Yes, you’ve got a Mazda “Value” Mexican made oil filter. The “normal” OEM oil filter do have a box, pre-lubed and sealed on the opening of the filter like sm1ke said above. All Mazda dealers sell both normal and “Value” maintenance parts, you just hsve to ask. Apparently your Mazda dealer is pushing the “Value” products.

And my Mazda dealer always gives me a free drain plug washer with oil filter purchase.

This’s another “to be different” Mazfa way selling a different “MV” line of Mazda maintenance parts which makes no sense to me. Yes, you’ve got a Mazda “Value” Mexican made oil filter. The “normal” OEM oil filter do have a box, pre-lubed and sealed on the opening of the filter like sm1ke said above. All Mazda dealers sell both normal and “Value” maintenance parts, you just hsve to ask. Apparently your Mazda dealer is pushing the “Value” products.

And my Mazda dealer always gives me a free drain plug washer with oil filter purchase.
Thanks.

Just profit hungry.

Bought my last Ford from this dealer but got a better Mazda deal elsewhere... but this one is still way closer for parts.

Back