(SOLVED) Neither key fob recognized, 2023 CX-5 won't start, all batteries good

So last evening my 2023 CX-5 (2,500 miles on it) wouldn't recognize either key fob. The fobs have new batteries, car is garage kept and was last driven three days ago. This morning one fob started the car, stupidly I turned it off to try the other fob which didn't work. Checked the car battery, it's good. Now I have to have the car TOWED to the dealership to check things out. 😡:eek::cry: Thankfully the tow is covered under the new vehicle warranty.

ANY idea what the problem might be??? Boy, I miss the old days of cars without all these electronics.

Last edited:
Hmm, interested to see what the dealer says. One good thing is that it's a hard failure, not intermittent, so make it easier for them to diagnose.

I don't know about Panasonic, may depend on where you purchased, could be fake if you purchased on Amazon or eBay. My experience is that I had problems with new off-brand batteries that I purchased from Amazon but problems went away when I replaced with Duracell from local retailer.

I forgot to come back to post an update. I AM AN IDIOT. I had (right) foot surgery on1/3/24 and had not been behind the wheel until last Friday when I could finally remove my "boot" and drive. Long story short......I was depressing the gas pedal, not the brake. :rolleyes:🫣 My husband started the car right up, and when I got in he saw I was stepping on the wrong pedal. The manager at the Mazda service center said it's not the first time he's heard that.

Thanks for the tip about Sleep Mode.

We’ve all been there. I took my kids when they were younger to a Miami Heat night game and drove my CX-5 to downtown Miami and parked in a sketchy lot. When we got back to the car, I noticed my driver’s side window was not in the same position. I turned the knob to the drivers side and tried to adjust it and the mirror didn’t move. I thought that whoever messed with it must have broken the mechanism for adjustment. It took me a couple of minutes to realize that I had turned the switch to the passenger side mirror and was moving that one the whole time. In my defense, it was dark and I couldn’t see the markings telling me which side the switch was pointed to. 😄

I've gotten annoyed at passengers riding in the back seat, between my two car seats, because they couldn't figure out how to open their doors to get out. Turns out that I forgot that I had the child locks on. I was so embarrassed!

I don't know about Panasonic, may depend on where you purchased, could be fake if you purchased on Amazon or eBay. My experience is that I had problems with new off-brand batteries that I purchased from Amazon but problems went away when I replaced with Duracell from local retailer.

I've been buying batteries from Amazon for years and years, I even had a work account on Amazon, I was in charge of purchasing for our department at the time. In all those years and all those batteries, I've never had an issue with the name brand batteries that I bought. Never.

And yet see this all the time. Fake batteries, fake this and fake that. :rolleyes: Panasonic is a well-known supplier of batteries and I've used them many a time.

I forgot to come back to post an update. I AM AN IDIOT. I had (right) foot surgery on1/3/24 and had not been behind the wheel until last Friday when I could finally remove my "boot" and drive. Long story short......I was depressing the gas pedal, not the brake. :rolleyes:🫣 My husband started the car right up, and when I got in he saw I was stepping on the wrong pedal. The manager at the Mazda service center said it's not the first time he's heard that.

Thanks for the tip about Sleep Mode.

Thanks for coming back and fessing up! Lots of folks won't. (y)

I've gotten annoyed at passengers riding in the back seat, between my two car seats, because they couldn't figure out how to open their doors to get out. Turns out that I forgot that I had the child locks on. I was so embarrassed!
:D
Thanks for coming back and fessing up! Lots of folks won't. (y)
I had to tell what I'd done--I couldn't believe it myself. 🫣 It's like I'm re-learning the car all over again. Thanks to all who shared their "mistakes"--it made me smile.

Back