2016 CX-5 help with brake noise

Hey all, thanks in advance for anyone’s help. I’ve had this noise issue with my brakes since I bought the car over a year ago.

I brought it back to where I bought it from which was a Mazda dealer and they said they don’t hear anything so they cannot help. I brought it to a different Mazda dealership that’s closer to my house and they said it’s probably just the sprain noise and it needs to be lubricated.

I got my car back and they said they lubricated the spring and it should be good. I went to drive off and the car is still making the same exact noise and I’m just not sure what to do since Mazda keeps saying that there’s nothing wrong with it and every car is like this. When I said another car is in the show room and even test drove all the cars none of them made this noise.

I understand the sound is a pressure building up in the brake booster which I know is normal, and I also can hear the spring making noise which I suppose is normal even when lubricated?

My issue is once I release the break there is a high pitch squeak noise or some noise that I can’t help to always here when I lift my foot off the brake.

Does anyone else have this issue? Does this seem like a normal operation for this car or is there something wrong with it? I tried everything on my end and I just cannot get it to stop and without the dealership helping me I feel like my hands are tied even though I have an extended warranty that I pay for.

I attached two videos, if anyone could possibly watch them and tell me if they hear anything wrong or if it’s just me.

Once again thank you everyone for your time and I really hope I can get this fixed because it’s annoying the hell out of me. Ty!

Hey all, thanks in advance for anyone’s help. I’ve had this noise issue with my brakes since I bought the car over a year ago.

I brought it back to where I bought it from which was a Mazda dealer and they said they don’t hear anything so they cannot help. I brought it to a different Mazda dealership that’s closer to my house and they said it’s probably just the sprain noise and it needs to be lubricated.

I got my car back and they said they lubricated the spring and it should be good. I went to drive off and the car is still making the same exact noise and I’m just not sure what to do since Mazda keeps saying that there’s nothing wrong with it and every car is like this. When I said another car is in the show room and even test drove all the cars none of them made this noise.

I understand the sound is a pressure building up in the brake booster which I know is normal, and I also can hear the spring making noise which I suppose is normal even when lubricated?

My issue is once I release the break there is a high pitch squeak noise or some noise that I can’t help to always here when I lift my foot off the brake.

Does anyone else have this issue? Does this seem like a normal operation for this car or is there something wrong with it? I tried everything on my end and I just cannot get it to stop and without the dealership helping me I feel like my hands are tied even though I have an extended warranty that I pay for.

I attached two videos, if anyone could possibly watch them and tell me if they hear anything wrong or if it’s just me.

Once again thank you everyone for your time and I really hope I can get this fixed because it’s annoying the hell out of me. Ty!

View attachment 301778

View attachment 301779
Any noises you can’t here from a new car that you’ve test-driven but you can hear on your CX-5 is not normal. You should contact Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations and complain.

When the dealer says the tech can’t hear anything, you should ask the tech to ride with you and show him the noise.

Upvote 0
Any noises you can’t here from a new car that you’ve test-driven but you can hear on your CX-5 is not normal. You should contact Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations and complain.

When the dealer says the tech can’t hear anything, you should ask the tech to ride with you and show him the noise.
I have and they "don't here" anything. Anytime I suggest the brake booster may be the issue, they will do anything in their power not to take apart the car for that.

My next step was going to write to Mazda corp. Just curious, do you hear the noise I hear or am I going crazy? I do have very sensitive ears but I still feel like it shouldn't do that.

It's hard to get a good video while driving to really show the annoyance of it. I also am worried something may fail or not be functioning correctly. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I have and they "don't here" anything. Anytime I suggest the brake booster may be the issue, they will do anything in their power not to take apart the car for that.

My next step was going to write to Mazda corp. Just curious, do you hear the noise I hear or am I going crazy? I do have very sensitive ears but I still feel like it shouldn't do that.

It's hard to get a good video while driving to really show the annoyance of it. I also am worried something may fail or not be functioning correctly. Thanks again.
I did hear some abnormal noise when you’re either pressing or pumping the brake pedal. You can ask the tech at your Mazda dealer riding with you and letting him hear the brake noise in front of him.

You can ask a friend driving the CX-5 while you’re shooting the video. You can also contact the Mazda North American Operations complaining the dealer service about the brake noise with your video as the evidence if you CX-5 carries any new car warranty or CPO warranty.

Upvote 0
Hello, any tips on getting help from Mazda corp operations? I called multiple times and each time they just say I have to bring it to a dealer... but only if dealer finds something wrong will they will help. They said if the dealer says nothing is wrong there is nothing they could do.

I cannot get the dealership to help and Mazda corp said regardless of videos or anything I sent, they still need to hear the dealership say it's wrong which is the problem I've been having.

Is there any way to get in touch with someone higher up or who can help? Any info would be really appreciated. After $20k spent, Mazda really turned my excitement for this car into something I don't enjoy driving at all.

Am I at the dealerships mercy and there's nothing I can do? Thanks again for your time.

Upvote 0
If the brakes are working ok you may need to wait until you notice some actual decline in brake function.
If there is a problem it will probably get worse, and the worse it is the more obvious the solution.
If the booster starts leaking you might have a hard pedal. If the pads are shot you might start getting a lot of screeching noises.
I've had to grease all of the caliper pins on mine(16.5) There was a crunchy, scraping noise occasionally. I thought I ran over a cardboard box and was dragging it along.
It has a little over 40k. How many miles on yours?

Upvote 0
There definitely is a metallic vibration caused by depression (spring stretch noise) and release of the brake pedal (squeak of metal joint rubbing noise).

AVSJay, have you tried lubricating all the movable joints in the brake pedal assembly?

My guess is that the noise is coming from a lateral bias. In other words, you may inadvertently depress the brake pedal laterally (towards the right/left), which stretches the spring with a lateral bias. Therefore, when you release the pedal, the spring pulls counter laterally, making the hinge rub on one side stronger.

Try releasing the brake pedal by putting lateral pressure towards the left and again towards the right. One of these sides should produce the sound louder, presenting you with which side of the hinge you should focus the lubrication on.

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic and this is just a deduction on my part. Take it with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0
There definitely is a metallic vibration caused by depression (spring stretch noise) and release of the brake pedal (squeak of metal joint rubbing noise).

AVSJay, have you tried lubricating all the movable joints in the brake pedal assembly?

My guess is that the noise is coming from a lateral bias. In other words, you may inadvertently depress the brake pedal laterally (towards the right/left), which stretches the spring with a lateral bias. Therefore, when you release the pedal, the spring pulls counter laterally, making the hinge rub on one side stronger.

Try releasing the brake pedal by putting lateral pressure towards the left and again towards the right. One of these sides should produce the sound louder, presenting you with which side of the hinge you should focus the lubrication on.

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic and this is just a deduction on my part. Take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks for the response. I had a friend who works on cars lube up everything he was able to. Also the Mazda dealership last time said they lubed up the spring and all parts around it.

I’m ok with the spring noise I hear but the quick high pitch noise when releasing the pedal every single time is what makes the car so unenjoyable to drive. Stop and go traffic during rush hour is hard to not hear.

Unfortunately when I left the dealer that day it still made the noise and i was told it’s normal.

I will try what you suggested with putting pressure on the right and left. Ty, I really appreciate the help.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this will help but I had noise from the rear brakes of my 2016 CX5 so I had my dealer perform the service described in this TSB and it fixed the problem.

Attachments

• MC-10165341-0001.pdf
    463.9 KB · Views: 169
Upvote 0
^ This seems to be a fix for squeaking from the braking output (brake assembly), not the braking input (pedal assembly and hydraulic cylinders).

AVSJay, if lubing the pedal assembly hinges doesn't do the trick, I'd move a bit more downstream and lubricate where the brake piston slides on the rubber(?) dust boot seal in the firewall.
1633033249555.png

Upvote 0
Back