2016 CX-5 EPB malfunction

I have a 2016 Mazda CX-5 with 140k kms. I replaced the driver side Electronic Parking Brake a few years ago, where it plugs in was broken (perhaps road debris?). Anyways, both the parking brake light (solid) and brake light (flashing) came on today after my wife put it through the car wash and then applied the parking brake at work. I determined that when applying the parking brake, the side I replaced kept making a whirring noise for a a good 15 seconds. Once I took it apart, I noticed that the o-ring must have not been set properly and had pinched, moisture had gotten in. My question is, what do I replaced? The EPB motor again, or the caliper? Thanks in advance.

I have a 2016 Mazda CX-5 with 140k kms. I replaced the driver side Electronic Parking Brake a few years ago, where it plugs in was broken (perhaps road debris?). Anyways, both the parking brake light (solid) and brake light (flashing) came on today after my wife put it through the car wash and then applied the parking brake at work. I determined that when applying the parking brake, the side I replaced kept making a whirring noise for a a good 15 seconds. Once I took it apart, I noticed that the o-ring must have not been set properly and had pinched, moisture had gotten in. My question is, what do I replaced? The EPB motor again, or the caliper? Thanks in advance.
Did you replace just the EPB motor as the wire connector was broken, or also the EPB rear disk caliper on the driver side? Did you DIY or have someone else did it? Do you known there’s the “EPB Maintenance Mode”? And do you know there’s a TSB for rear EPB disk brake dragging?

If only the o-ring of the motor got damaged, you can replace the o-ring as the EPB motor itself should be fairly reliable but the original caliper isn’t. Other than the water intrusion due to the out of position o-ring, your EPB could also have developed disk brake dragging issue which triggered both brake warning lights in dash.

TSB R052/16C - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

Hi, I only replace the EPB motor since only it was damaged. I did it myself and yes put it in brake maintenance mode. I try to clean and lube rear brake components annually since everything seems to fit so tight. I wasn't aware of any known issue with actual epb motor. I knew that not regularly servicing brakes could cause issues, or assumed anyways. But definetely when I engage it, the driver's side which I previously replaced makes a consiatant engaging/disengaging noise for a good 15.seconds. I took.it apart and noticed.the o- ring, and put it back together (without the ring it's damaged) and drove it. That side heated up quick and hot so was dragging bad, so I tried putting it in brake maintenance mode which thankfully stopped the dragging so I could keep driving it.

Hi, I only replace the EPB motor since only it was damaged. I did it myself and yes put it in brake maintenance mode. I try to clean and lube rear brake components annually since everything seems to fit so tight. I wasn't aware of any known issue with actual epb motor. I knew that not regularly servicing brakes could cause issues, or assumed anyways. But definetely when I engage it, the driver's side which I previously replaced makes a consiatant engaging/disengaging noise for a good 15.seconds. I took.it apart and noticed.the o- ring, and put it back together (without the ring it's damaged) and drove it. That side heated up quick and hot so was dragging bad, so I tried putting it in brake maintenance mode which thankfully stopped the dragging so I could keep driving it.
If you DIY and you know EPB Maintenance Mode as well as not turning the piston of the rear disk brake caliper when you push it in, you shouldn’t have done any damage to the caliper. Once the water is dry inside the motor and caliper area you can get the EPB motor seal kit KAY0-26-44Z which includes the motor o-ring you need to replace. Read the TSB above for more details.

Depending on how long you plan to keep your 2016 CX-5 with 140K kms / 86,992 miles, if the EPB warning lights are still persistent, you may have to consider to replace the original disk calipers to the newly improved version.

Thinking back now, when I replaced the rear pads I didn't know about vehicle maintenance mode and may have turned the pistons to tried and push them in. That's when I learned about brake maintenance mode lol. So here is an update: I have figured out the reason for the epb motor taking several seconds to attempt to engage. The spinal on the back of the caliper that the epb motor uses.to engage/disengage the parking brake just keeps spinning. So when I turned the caliper piston several years ago, before learning about maintenance mode, I must have done some damage. I will buy another caliper, and update.

Latest posts

Back