2015 CX-5 Oil Leak Above Alternator

I just got a used cx5 with 125k miles on it. Wen poking around I noticed some oil built up on the engine. I have attached some pictures.

There was a similar post but it looked like it turned out to be his tensioner causing the problem? Or something like that. It was slightly different.

So what do you guys think it is from? The top by where oil would be put in is clean so I don't think it would be from someone missing when filling the engine back up after an oil change. Thanks for the help in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20240614_010631923.jpg
    PXL_20240614_010631923.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20240614_010617966.jpg
    PXL_20240614_010617966.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20240614_010556580.jpg
    PXL_20240614_010556580.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 36
The more I look around, that sounds correct. Would you (or anyone else that sees this) suggest wiping it up and seeing how fast it comes back? Or leave it and see what a shop says. I have a total warranty that should cover this so that makes me feel better.

I don't have much to say tbh. I personally have a difficult time chasing leaks unless they are obvious. Cleaning helps. I would clean up the area and buy something like a UV Leak Detection Dye. I would spend a few minutes and try to find the areas using the dye and a UV light to see where I think it is leaking from. Then I would take it in and have the warranty service to see what they say. I would also re-read over the fine print to see what they cover.

Seems like Timing Chain Cover issue to me also.
My '14 Mazda3 has this issue... Not fixed. Dealer wants $1700 for it 2 yrs ago.
I just clean it once in a while and monitor it.
No oil on the floor. No worry from me.

Seems like Timing Chain Cover issue to me also.
My '14 Mazda3 has this issue... Not fixed. Dealer wants $1700 for it 2 yrs ago.
I just clean it once in a while and monitor it.
No oil on the floor. No worry from me.
I have the same thing on my '14. Some seepage/greasy smudge behind the water pump. No leaks, not wet. Not worried.

The more I look around, that sounds correct. Would you (or anyone else that sees this) suggest wiping it up and seeing how fast it comes back? Or leave it and see what a shop says. I have a total warranty that should cover this so that makes me feel better.
You might want to closely check that "total warranty". They are not always "total" and have deductibles (maybe multiple for one job) and have the customer responsible for the difference between what the repair shop/dealer charges and what the warranty company pays. Not to mention exactly what is detailed out in writing concerning parts and labor covered.

I just got a used cx5 with 125k miles on it. Wen poking around I noticed some oil built up on the engine. I have attached some pictures.

There was a similar post but it looked like it turned out to be his tensioner causing the problem? Or something like that. It was slightly different.

So what do you guys think it is from? The top by where oil would be put in is clean so I don't think it would be from someone missing when filling the engine back up after an oil change. Thanks for the help in advance!
It could also be the problematic Oil Control Valve which is on top of the engine leaking:

FCBD0868-0239-4AFD-AF55-DE19DACEA2E5.jpeg

⋯ also, after getting the ATF up to temp, my OCV looked like this. Guess I’ll look at getting a replacement. Would I need to change my brand new valve cover gasket again also?
View attachment 295015

Fortunately I haven’t been bit by the oil control valve leak and my tensioner is leak free as well

Like others stated… I live with my small timing cover leak that seems to toggle between a weep and a seep between seasons for some odd reason. I just clean it up a couple times a year and doesn’t result in any noticeable oil loss on the dipstick.

I was looking around online and possible this cutover occurred 9/2015 for 2016 model year. Not sure when ‘16 models started being built but my ‘15 has a build date of 4/14

Same issue with my 2015 GT. All signs pointed to some seepage between the block and timing chain cover. Super slow and not worth fixing. Never has dripped.

Back