2014 CX-5 2.5L KE Turbo swap

Ok, before I start this i want to ask that you do not say, get a new car, trade it in, etc. My 2014 mazda cx5 with around 157k miles is running strong but i dont know for how long, i go to auto collision school with a mechanic school right next door, once my motor goes id love to put a 2.5l turbo mazda engine from the newer models into my cx5, i have the time and money, im just wondering what it would take in order to swap it properly, just an idea, its going to happen sooner or later but id like to know from some of the long time owners on here what has to be done, suspension and drivetrain wise, im not looking for any negative comments or wise remarks, simply just a nice thread that can answer a few underlying questions i have, and probably many more are wondering. Im keeping this car for a long time and not getting rid of it, not looking for a new one

There's been quite a few examples of the 1st gen CX-5 going 300k or more. It can be a very reliable engine if you keep up with basic maintenance.

I don't think it's likely that you'll find anyone doing this swap, here or anywhere else. It's just not a popular swap for all of the effort and cost. With all that said, the 2.5T is basically just a modified version of the original 2.5 Skyactiv-G motor that came in the 1st gen CX-5. You're going to have to do a ton of legwork, researching dimensions of both motors, and accounting for all the extra parts you may need to fit and fabricate mounts for (like the intercooler, for example). You would likely need to swap over the ECU, make sure all the wiring is correct, make sure the existing TCU and transmission would work with the 2.5T engine. If it doesn't, you'd have to swap in a transmission too, and then make sure that it would mate to other driveline components without throwing anything else out of whack. Keep in mind that your CX-5 was engineered for an engine that outputs about 185hp and 185tq, not 250hp and 310tq. You may have to replace or custom fabricate some components to handle this extra power. Its not like you could just buy a ready-made kit or get parts or fab work done quickly.

It will take a LOT of money, and even more time due to trial and error. But since you have a mechanic school next door, it would be a good idea to speak with some of the teachers there, they would have a much better idea of what could be involved in doing an engine swap like this.

Ok, before I start this i want to ask that you do not say, get a new car, trade it in, etc. My 2014 mazda cx5 with around 157k miles is running strong but i dont know for how long, i go to auto collision school with a mechanic school right next door, once my motor goes id love to put a 2.5l turbo mazda engine from the newer models into my cx5, i have the time and money, im just wondering what it would take in order to swap it properly, just an idea, its going to happen sooner or later but id like to know from some of the long time owners on here what has to be done, suspension and drivetrain wise, im not looking for any negative comments or wise remarks, simply just a nice thread that can answer a few underlying questions i have, and probably many more are wondering. Im keeping this car for a long time and not getting rid of it, not looking for a new one

What does the bolded section above have to do with anything?

Are you saying that you'll have the students at this mechanic school do the work of installing a brand-new engine in your CX when it comes time?

Really?

Good luck with that.

If that's not what you're suggesting, then again, what does it have to do with anything?

There's been quite a few examples of the 1st gen CX-5 going 300k or more. It can be a very reliable engine if you keep up with basic maintenance.

I don't think it's likely that you'll find anyone doing this swap, here or anywhere else. It's just not a popular swap for all of the effort and cost. With all that said, the 2.5T is basically just a modified version of the original 2.5 Skyactiv-G motor that came in the 1st gen CX-5. You're going to have to do a ton of legwork, researching dimensions of both motors, and accounting for all the extra parts you may need to fit and fabricate mounts for (like the intercooler, for example). You would likely need to swap over the ECU, make sure all the wiring is correct, make sure the existing TCU and transmission would work with the 2.5T engine. If it doesn't, you'd have to swap in a transmission too, and then make sure that it would mate to other driveline components without throwing anything else out of whack. Keep in mind that your CX-5 was engineered for an engine that outputs about 185hp and 185tq, not 250hp and 310tq. You may have to replace or custom fabricate some components to handle this extra power. Its not like you could just buy a ready-made kit or get parts or fab work done quickly.

It will take a LOT of money, and even more time due to trial and error. But since you have a mechanic school next door, it would be a good idea to speak with some of the teachers there, they would have a much better idea of what could be involved in doing an engine swap like this.
I believe somewhere on this forum there was some talk of the transmission having different components.

Are you saying that you'll have the students at this mechanic school do the work of installing a brand-new engine in your CX when it comes time?

Really?

Good luck with that.

I think that's exactly what they're hinting at. Its pretty common for auto collision schools to do something similar, where someone can bring them a car to repair and/or paint for practice at a reduced price for the owner (to reflect the experience of the painters). Which brings to mind another concern.. would you really want inexperienced hands doing work on such an involved project?

I think that's exactly what they're hinting at. Its pretty common for auto collision schools to do something similar, where someone can bring them a car to repair and/or paint for practice at a reduced price for the owner (to reflect the experience of the painters). Which brings to mind another concern.. would you really want inexperienced hands doing work on such an involved project?
To reply to both of you, you really think id trust any inexperienced kids working on my car? No i work with the teachers on many projects like this before, its common in my school to do something like this, well not really a school for kids but for adults

What does the bolded section above have to do with anything?

Really?

Good luck with that.

If that's not what you're suggesting, then again, what does it have to do with anything?
What are you talking about? Im talking about what it would entail, it would be very time and money consuming and im expressing that i have the resources to supply a engine swap, also be aware that its not kids but full grown adults, “what does it have to do with anything”, honestly, what are YOU talking about because you have me confused

Thank you!!! The reply that i was exactly looking for!

Yes, I know that some schools have programs that do what you're suggesting. The local community college has a program like this. It's a good program and a good idea. I certainly wouldn't want students learning on my car, but hey.

To reply to both of you, you really think id trust any inexperienced kids working on my car? No i work with the teachers on many projects like this before, its common in my school to do something like this, well not really a school for kids but for adults

Do we think that you'd trust your car to inexperienced kids? How in the heck would we know what you would do?

What are you talking about? Im talking about what it would entail, it would be very time and money consuming and im expressing that i have the resources to supply a engine swap, also be aware that its not kids but full grown adults, “what does it have to do with anything”, honestly, what are YOU talking about because you have me confused

What am I talking about? Did you not say this?

", i go to auto collision school with a mechanic school right next door, once my motor goes id love to put a 2.5l turbo mazda engine from the newer models into my cx5"

If you weren't considering having the students do the work, then why even bring any of this up? What does it have to do with anything?

Do we think that you'd trust your car to inexperienced kids? How in the heck would we know what you would do?

What am I talking about? Did you not say this?

", i go to auto collision school with a mechanic school right next door, once my motor goes id love to put a 2.5l turbo mazda engine from the newer models into my cx5"

If you weren't considering having the students do the work, then why even bring any of this up? What does it have to do with anything?
I dont know why it was in bold letters, i was just mentioning it so i could avoid people bringing it up, and stating where my resources would be for the swap

yes a can of worms, the whole driveline is likely not engineered for the additional power -

Agreed. Though it is certainly possible.. more than a few LS-swapped Miatas out there. I've even seen an LS-swapped IS250.

I did a search to see if that IS250 was still around, and found this thread. Its pretty thorough and the guy basically walks the reader through almost every step. He started at the end of 2016 and had it running properly as of 2020, so over 3 years of work. This guy is pretty experienced too, I think he either works out of a shop that does a lot of custom fab work, or he has easy access to one. Again, the LS is one of the most popular engine swaps out there, but it still took a long time. A 2.5 NA to 2.5T swap should be less complicated theoretically, but I don't think anyone's done it, so if you go through with it, there will be tons of trial and error. It would be a good idea to have a backup car while this one is down.

Former mod here Chris_Top_Her installed a turbo on his '14 years back

Back