2014 CX-5 2.2L Diesel with oil pressure problem

My Cx5 purchased Dec, 2015 with 51,000 kms. When purchase I confirmed with the Mazda dealer that every service was performed almost on time and every update was applied. Changed the oil immeadiately, and then changed oil at 55,000 k's and then at every 5,000. Oil filter at every 10,000. Used correct spec DL1 & C1 Penrite.

At the end of October, with about 98,800 k's up, check engine light & low oil pressure light came on. Car went into limp mode. Check OBD reader which came up with low/high oil pressure faults. Cleared faults. Codes came back almost straight away after starting. Engine was not rattly and had oil pressure. Limp moded 200 meters to my house. Decided to change oil & filter even though the oil was only 3800 k's old.

Last week 1700 k's in on new oil & filer, check engine light & master warning light came on. Cleared faults again, car started and the codes did not return.

Immeadiately booked it in with Mazda, they have confirmed the fault came back on eventually, and Mazda Aust want dealer to remove rocker cover for camshaft wear. Mazda dealer confirmed that loan vehicle is being looked at subject to findings. Mazda Aust are going down a different path for fault finding.

My research suggests that the engine is toast and will need to be replaced.

Firstly, local Mazda dealer has been leading the charge with my CX 5. It has suffered the shutter valve problem which is subject to a recall. So they have the car for about 4 week to replace exhaust camshaft, shutter valve, injectors, vacuum servo, remove sump & clean, inspect oil pump. Subject to other findings Mazda wll replace those items as well.

Now the kicker. My CX 5 is almost 7 yrs old and has 100,000 k's on it. It has been serviced by me alone for half its k's. At no stage did I have to do any form of fight back. None whatsoever!

I have a CX 8 for 4 weeks & all costs will be by Mazda. So I pay nothing. How good is Mazda Aust ;)

Looks like I have the CX 8 over the holidays for most likely another 4 weeks.

Mazda confirmed that they replaced all the parts for the Shutter valve recall. They had the car running and performed further tests in relation to the oil pressure problem.

Results?? Test confirm it is out of range and motor is now toast. A new engine is to be installed along with all new ancillaries.

Mazda confirmed it is all at their cost, and I keep the CX 8 until the job is done.

This whole drama is still yet to play out to a final conclusion. The current thinking is that it will be the same problem in another 100,000 k's. Most likely have to decide to keep the car or move it on at a loss.

EDIT: For those who think these posts are a bit weird, these posts have been a copy & paste from another Australian forum which I frequent.

Last edited:
I am suggesting to try to
Totally understandable, but I'm sure they wouldn't want you to keep a car that could be a big financial burden in the future. I think that if they were aware of the situation, they would probably recommend selling it off as well.

It sucks because if you cannot escalate any higher than your dealership, you're at the mercy of the dealership, and it sounds like they aren't willing to assist. The presence of a corporate office in South America may be something to consider for your next purchase (should you decide to sell the car and replace it with something else).
I have decided to kind of fix the car so that i can sell it and just look for another car. I have worked with honda and vw dealer locally as i own a honda and they were very helpfull to me but mazda has a big NO for me.

I used 5W-30 didn’t work now i am using 10w-15 synthetic shell ultra. One more thing most of the time if i put fresh oil and filter the car drives normal for like 1 month so most of the time every month i need to change

You are most likely using the wrong oil. The diesel engine requires a totally different oil compared to the petrol version. You cannot just jump up or swap around to what ever grade oil. It requires to be specific and you would most likely find the oil strainer & pump is clogged up due to the high ash content of the petrol variety oil.

This is the Australian recommendation for the CX-5 Diesel.

Helix Ultra Professional AF-L 5W-30. It is a low ash diesel oil.

The fact that it’s a diesel should have been in your first post. It will need the oil pan off and the oil strainer cleaning or renewing, they get clogged with carbon. Once you’ve done it, reduce the oil change period to 6000 miles and only use C3 oil which has a low ash content.

The fact that it’s a diesel should have been in your first post. It will need the oil pan off and the oil strainer cleaning or renewing, they get clogged with carbon. Once you’ve done it, reduce the oil change period to 6000 miles and only use C3 oil which has a low ash content.
The oil pan was cleaned already and still after +- 800 km the oil pressure/check engine light came on

yrwei52 where is your airplane picture? That is how I know who it is.
I’m still trying to get used to the new website. I haven’t tried to recover my P-38 avatar after the website conversion, but noticed some members have recovered theirs.

I’m still trying to get used to the new website. I haven’t tried to recover my P-38 avatar after the website conversion, but noticed some members have recovered theirs.
I uploaded a fresh avatar. I didn't even think to try to recover from the old site.

I liked your avatar. My uncle was a Spitfire pilot. I have his commemorative RAF watch.

Not the oil pan, the oil strainer.
IMO if the oil strainer got clogged with carbon, then the oil pressure should be consistently low and shouldn’t fluctuate with fresh oil?

One would think if the dilution were so bad as to rapidly cause a decrease in oil pressure, that the level on the dipstick would be extremely high and strongly smell of fuel.

I cannot recommend a Mazda or a CX5 to anyone; in fact I would urge everyone to avoid buying this car. There is a big problem with the Mazda engines that allow them to block the oil strainer causing P055F and P0524 error codes to come up. These codes cause the red oil pressure and yellow check engine light to come up on the dash.

My car is a 2017 CX5 Skyactive diesel. Mazda have fixed it at a cost of £1600 and the car has been regularly serviced by a Mazda main dealer in the UK. The car has been used for long motorway miles, so it really should not have had this problem.

It turns out the strainer was blocked by carbon deposits. The strainer is essentially a filter inside the car, which cannot be replaced without significant dismantling of the oil sump, removal of the oil pump, and dismantling the oil pump to get to the oil strainer. The oil strainer costs just £25 but the labour made up the lion share of the cost. Why would you put a filter in such an inaccessible part of the car? Oil filters, air filters and even cabin filters are easy to get to - so why do this? Why make it so hard to replace a part that is going to get blocked?

This is my first and last Mazda - awful experience. Costly and stressful. Not impressed with Mazda at all.

I cannot recommend a Mazda or a CX5 to anyone; in fact I would urge everyone to avoid buying this car. There is a big problem with the Mazda engines that allow them to block the oil strainer causing P055F and P0524 error codes to come up. These codes cause the red oil pressure and yellow check engine light to come up on the dash.

My car is a 2017 CX5 Skyactive diesel. Mazda have fixed it at a cost of £1600 and the car has been regularly serviced by a Mazda main dealer in the UK. The car has been used for long motorway miles, so it really should not have had this problem.

It turns out the strainer was blocked by carbon deposits. The strainer is essentially a filter inside the car, which cannot be replaced without significant dismantling of the oil sump, removal of the oil pump, and dismantling the oil pump to get to the oil strainer. The oil strainer costs just £25 but the labour made up the lion share of the cost. Why would you put a filter in such an inaccessible part of the car? Oil filters, air filters and even cabin filters are easy to get to - so why do this? Why make it so hard to replace a part that is going to get blocked?

This is my first and last Mazda - awful experience. Costly and stressful. Not impressed with Mazda at all.
It’s a Mazda SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel, what do you expect? You should also change the oil pump chain while replacing the oil strainer or that would be the next thing to fail.

It’s a Mazda SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel, what do you expect? You should also change the oil pump chain while replacing the oil strainer or that would be the next thing to fail.

This attitude is unwarranted. You should not assume that all owners would be familiar with all of the issues that their car could potentially have. Most people buy and drive, they don't research into the nitty gritty like the enthusiasts here and on other social platforms.

This attitude is unwarranted. You should not assume that all owners would be familiar with all of the issues that their car could potentially have. Most people buy and drive, they don't research into the nitty gritty like the enthusiasts here and on other social platforms.
Another 2.2L diesel CX-5 guy came over here and complained, and said don’t buy ANY Mazda’s. I simply pointed out the problem is the 2.2L diesel, not all Mazda’s. Anything wrong with that? :unsure:

Back