2013 CX-9 needs engine coolant

Hi, it's a 2013 CX-9. Just found out that the engine coolant is low (on L mark). Went to an auto shop and pick up a gallon which is a "conventional green" that has: ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol denatonium benzoate, corrosion inhibitors defoamer and dye. Based on a char in the auto shop, all Mazda uses green color coolant. I am not totally savvy when it comes to car maintenance, so just want to get some feedback regarding if this is the right product to top off before I do it myself.

If the reservoir is on the L mark when the engine is cold, you don't need any coolant, the level is fine.

The Mazda coolant is FL-22. You need something that can be added to FL-22. Pentofrost A2 works, there is a Ravenol FL-22 product out there as well, and I think there's a Peak formulation for asian brands that works.

If the reservoir is on the L mark when the engine is cold, you don't need any coolant, the level is fine.

The Mazda coolant is FL-22. You need something that can be added to FL-22. Pentofrost A2 works, there is a Ravenol FL-22 product out there as well, and I think there's a Peak formulation for asian brands that works.
Thank you for your reply, jal142. May I ask why it's fine on the L mark when the engine is cold? would it be okay if I take the car to interstates for a several hours on this level? and would it be bad if I top off to "H" mark?

The purpose of the reservoir is to allow the coolant to expand somewhere when the engine heats up. The radiator, engine block, and hoses have a fixed volume for coolant. As the engine heats up, the coolant expands slightly and needs somewhere to go, otherwise the pressure in the cooling system would rise and break something. As the engine cools, it will pull coolant back out of the reservoir and into the radiator.

As long as there is enough coolant in the tank to prevent air from getting pulled into the radiator it's fine. I've been driving around for years with the level at the L mark. Adding more won't hurt anything but it won't do you any good either. Frankly, unless you know exactly what type of antifreeze is in there, I would avoid adding anything to it on the off chance there is a reaction between the old coolant and new.

The dye color of the antifreeze is nearly meaningless. There is much more to the decision than that. Some "Any make Any model" products are probably OK. Some "Asian Engine" products are probably OK. Prestone makes 3 Asian Engine antifreezes...dyed green for a list including Mazdas, dyed red for Toyotas, and dyed blue for certain other Asian cars. This Prestone Asian Green is likely fine--that's not to say that any other green product is OK. I think Zerex uses the same color codes, but you gott'a read the info to be sure.

The chemicals in the antifreeze must be compatible with the metals in the cooling system. The safe way is to spend a bit extra for the real thing, FL-22. As noted, when it's cold and at the L isn't bad. Even a highway drive in winter might not warm the reservoir enough to get it to H. Go ahead and take the drive and see how much it rises. Touch the reservoir (carefully) to see how warm it gets. It'll get a lot hotter, and expand more, in summer.

Some antifreeze is concentrated and must be mixed half & half with (preferably distilled) water before adding to the system. Some is premixed with the water already added--pour away. Straight concentrated antifreeze is not suitable for engines, it's gott'a be mixed with water.

Last edited:
Back