2010+ Speed3 owners wanted

Stavesacre21

:
2010 Mazdaspeed3
Hey guys. I've been noticing some weird popping/thunking sounds when engaging the clutch on my 2010 MS3. Took it to the dealer and he gave me this whole "it's normal in these cars because of the motor mount" BS. Don't believe it for a second.

Anyhow, we don't have a Speed dealer anywhere near us for another 70 miles, and i've yet to even SEE another MS3 around here at all. I was hoping to run into another 2010 or 2011 Speed3 owner closer to me in Ohio. I simply would like to ride along in another 2nd Gen MS3 just to check if this is total BS from the dealer, or if I really am looking too deep into things here.

Are there any Speed3 owners even reletively close to Lima, OH? I won't take much of your time at all...just lookin to ride along on a quick spin to see how "normal" this actually is. Some people might hear it and think it's normal, or like myself, might hear and and think it's out of the ordinary. My car has did it from mile 1, but I'm convinced that I won't hear it if I ride in another Speed3.

I know you guys are out there...lets here it from some buckeyes!

Last edited:
I work in Eastlake Ohio! I can't remember where Lima is, but I used to go there once a year for a bowling tourney my friends and I used to attend. I also have a LSM 10 Speed 3. I think I here the same noise that you are talking about, but not sure. I also have 22k on mine. If you don't find someone closer, let me know. Maybe we could meet somewhere in the middle!

Wow, yeah that'd be great if you could do that sometime. However, it's almost a 3 hour drive, and even with us meeting in the middle (which would likely be Ashland), you're still looking at about an hour and 1/2 drive (90 miles) for each of us each way. As much as i'd love to get this straightened out, i'd NEVER expect someone else to drive such a long drive for something so small, especially when it wouldn't benefit you at all.

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that I can find another person a little closer. However, if I can't find anyone else, I might have to buy you a beer and some lunch for the trouble. My wife is actually from Amherst by Elyria, but we don't really go to her rents too often.

As for the sound, it's MUCH more obvious when you first start the car up cold and the revs hang more. If you engage the clutch before the revs drop to match more accurately, that's when you hear the sound. It just sounds like a shudder as a result of the 2 (engine and tranny) syncing up to the speed. It doesn't sound like tranny noise...but instead a result of the interaction of the 2 meeting. Probably doesn't make any sense.

I'll keep you posted if I don't find anyone else to take me up on it. I find it hard to believe that there isn't another single Speed3 owner that can't lend me an ear for 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Hey, is there any way you can get a sound clip or take a video so we can hear the sound?

Put it in neutral. When you push the clutch in (while still in neutral) does the sound go away? I don't remember what it is called, but it is normal for our cars.

I don't remember mine but I do know the RX-8 has the same thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if this one had it as well

Hey, is there any way you can get a sound clip or take a video so we can hear the sound?

I might try it tomorrow, although my guess is that it won't be too obvious on a video clip with all of the other sounds that might flood a microphone

Put it in neutral. When you push the clutch in (while still in neutral) does the sound go away? I don't remember what it is called, but it is normal for our cars.

I know what you're getting at, and it's not the throw-out bearning or transmission noise. The RX-8 I had 3 years ago had the noisest TOB and tranny noise i'd ever heard. So much so that when the clutch was engaged, it would go from silent to a VERY mechanical sound...almost like a diesel truck idling. Man I sure don't miss that sound.

I don't remember mine but I do know the RX-8 has the same thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if this one had it as well

I'm pretty sure that what you're referring to is exactly what I covered directly above this. When I asked about that 3 years ago, I was told it was simply a noise driveline and TOB. Nothing they could do about it as it was ruled normal.

Just to clarify, it it a sound that only occurs right when you engage the clutch to join the engine and the tranny. It is much more pronounced when the car is both cold started and when the revs are still hanging. It continues to do it once warm, but it's not near as loud or noticable. It almost sounds like a popping sound right when the clutch engages. Most noticable when you are engaging just a hair early before the revs are matched...hence why when the revs hang while it's warming up, it's very obvious.

OK i'm gonna try to go record it now. We'll see how this goes.

Alrighty guys...turned out a little better then I thought it would, but it still doesn't sound as clear as it does in person. It does at least give you an idea though. You'll notice by listening that you can hear the tranny softly shifting beforehand, so it's NOT the sound of the car changing gears.

I'd love to hear any thoughts on the matter. Anyone else noticing similar sounds in the MS3?

Last edited:
Is it that sound around 4/5 seconds? It's a clunk after shifting, when you let out the clutch? If that's the sound you're talking about, I hear the exact same clunk in my 1st gen.

Next time you drive, try feathering the clutch and see if you hear the clunk. Then, try shifting quickly and see if you hear it.

just throwing this out there, could you drive another speed3 from the dealer that you bought yours from. I'm sure they would let you test one out to either prove you right or wrong.

The Speed dealer I bought it from is in Columbus...which is just as far as a couple of people have stated. I'm not a huge fan of Byer's Mazda either. This place wouldn't even left me test drive the car I bought because they claimed that "people that buy these cars want them perfect so we don't let you drive it until your practically signing on it. No joyrides". Yes, they were that retarded. Now granted, that was literally 3 days after they got their first two 2nd gen Speed3's in, but still...completely retarded.

Anyhow, I did manage to get one more video today that was actually even louder and easier to hear. If to vote is that this is normal, i'm gonna be done with it.

The first time I shift and 3rd time I shift you can hear it. 3rd time it's really obvious.

Still all ears guys. Thanks for the heads up so far.

I wanted to say throwout bearing, but didn't want to be wrong, either.

I'm still gonna say that mine sounds the same. Is it hard to shift, or jerky, or anything? Hmmm...maybe check your motor mounts as well. It sort of sounds like mine after I installed my stiffer rear motor mount. I know my car makes those same noises, so I wouldn't be worried. However, any discomfort in shifting can be solved with:

-rear motor mount & tranny mount
-motorcraft xt-q5-s (whatever) tranny fluid
-shoft shifter, solid shifter bushings, etc.......basically the stock shifter sucks!

With my TWM full replacement short shifter and the mods above, I'd argue mine is louder--the mounts transmit more noise and vibration into the cabin, although the fluid makes shifting smoother. And the TWM short shifter is so notchy that it literally 'clunks' into gear! i hope this helps!

Hmmm.... I still can't tell if thats the same noise I have or not! Yeah, I remember it being quite a bit of a drive! Well either way let me know! I'm always down for a road trip! lol. I have the first week in Jan. off! We'll have to see what happens.

Back