2010 MS3 shifting sounds

Well after 14 months and 16K miles, the thunking has gotten the best of me and I finally scheduled an appointment to get it looked at. Honestly, there's a good likelihood that it'll get blown off, but it'll make me feel a heck of a lot better that I at least got an offical opinion. I just find it so hard to believe that something this noticable is expected to be normal. I'll let everyone know after it gets checked out Monday. For anyone still following, we'll see if all of us are actually crazy or not.

After taking them for a test drive to point out the sound I was noticing, the tech heard it as well and i dropped the car off. When I went to pick it up, they told me that the #3 motor mount wasn't as tight as it was supposed to be, and that physically pushing the engine made a very similar sound alone. So they loosened and readjusted the #3 motor mount as well as the rear transmission mount.

Golden question...did it fix it? Well, it did quiet it down a little bit, but it's still not completely gone. That said, i'm gonna have to rule this out as a regular noise of the engine/tranny as it sits. Apparently i'm just a little too in-tune with my car. Now that I know it's not something that even the dealership is alarmed about, it's time to finally move on.

For anyone else wondering if they should take their car in for the same thing...i'd say go for it just to have any adjustments made. It's under warranty, so why not take advantage of it?

Update - 12/4/10

After about a week, i've noticed that the "adjustment" they did has actually made is easier to now hear the thunk/popping sound in 5th and even 6th gear now. I didn't originally have problems with those 2 gears before. I'm thinking that they loosened the motor mounts and adjusted them, then left them looser...thus creating even more of a problem.

I'm all but ready to get under it and start dinking around with it myself now. This is getting insane. So if their adjustments have made it louder and more obvious in 5th and 6th, then obviously something has to do with the motor mounts. Now, if I can just locate all of the motor mounts to tighten them on down.

Last edited:
Alrighty guys...finally was able to capture a video/audio for everyone to hear so prove that i'm not just hearing things. It actually turned out a little better then I thought it would, but it still doesn't sound as clear as it does in person. It does at least give you an idea though. You'll notice by listening that you can hear the tranny softly shifting beforehand, so it's NOT the sound of the car changing gears. The sound you're hearing is happening exactly when the clutch is being engaged.

Feel free to chime in if this is normal for you.

My car sounds exactly the same... Sounds normal to me...

My guess is still the same, noisy gearbox or as it was said before, shifter linkage.

Ive heard it since new, if your really cautious and precise in your gear-changes you might not hear, but I keep hearing it constantly...

Nothing to worry about IMO

Well i'm glad I have one person to help vouch for this.

I did get one more video today that was actually even louder and easier to hear. If the vote on this is normal, i'm gonna be done with it.

The first time I shift and 3rd time I shift you can hear it. 3rd time it's really obvious.

Well.... now that I heard this new video Im afraid to tell you...

SOUNDS NORMAL!! chill out, enjoy your car, and zoom-zoom your way, everywhere!

(drive2)

I hear that same exact sound when I shift too! Until I found this thread I was unsure but I feel fine with it now and will take that it's normal to heart! :)

Glad to hear that i'm definately not alone!

I'm about to rule it out as normal...but even if so, I think it's awefully odd that i've never heard anything like it in any of the other 7 stick shifts i've owned...2 of them being Mazdas and 1 even being a Speed6. How odd.

My 2008.5 MS3 had a clunk when shifting from 1st-2nd and sometimes from 3rd-4th. It's been happening since I bought the car with 10k miles. Consensus seems to be that the sound is typical of the car.

HEy i Own a 2011 Speed 3 and your fine its regular sounds coming from the tranny i work with alot of mazdas and all the speeds do the same thing some a little louder than others but they all usually have it.

Same here, I get the same exact noise from 2-3 especially. Took mine to the dealership since mine is still under warranty, they first replaced the motor mount; then after that didn't fix it, they dropped the tranny and replaced all of second and third gear (there was wear on the gears for some reason, thus thinking it was the problem) and... it wasn't. I just got my car back after two weeks of driving a POS rental car and it still makes the clunking noise! So I hate to rule this out as normal, as it is a crazy neusance to hear everytime you shift.

PS mine is a 2010 Mazdaspeed3 made 08/09

OMG freak'n god, hello you guys. I'm new to this post and have been reading about this so called clunk noise, and I am totally beside myself. First of all does anyone here know anything about turbos and the way they sound with built in acuators. Let me just say that it not you mounts, it's not your tranny, it's not your shift linkage, ect---- people understand how your k turbos operate, and the sounds they make with the little tiny releve valve opens, to transfer out pressure. Thus hearing a tiny clunk sound. People enjoy your ms3 and stop worring about them. They are great cars and dependable. This should end all relating post gooooooodninght

Yea I been noticing this too on my 2011 with 2500 miles. I put it in the air and it seemed like it was coming from more the passengers side floor so on the right front axle I seen oil leaking from the bearing in the center. Dont think its the prblem but it sounds like slopp in the axle bc I dont feel it in the shifter. but I dont think that is a mount making a noise. I saying something at the dealer about it.

Again i have a brand new 2012 MS3, I got it with 105 miles on it and it does the same thing. Kinda sounds like a beep or a boop rather then a clunk. I'm not worried about it, but it does drive me a little crazy. I kinda just want to know what it is. It happens at about 3.5 seconds in this video http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/stavesacre21/?action=view&current=Movie-1.mp4

I think it's something dull hitting something hollow, like the engine hitting the rubber motor mount then being transferred into the cockpit. Almost sounds like if you hit your upper jawbone with your finger and your mouth open. That dull hollow sound. I wouldn't worry about it. I drove a rx8 for 6 years and know about strange sounds and rattle, ha. These types of cars have low amount of sound deadening, high vibration and noise. I'm not concerned really just interested.

Also my first post here, the car is about 2 weeks old. I was a solid contributor to rx8club and hope to do the same to the rest of the Mazda community.

Ok I went to the dealer last week. They checked it out but they cant find anything wrong with it. They let me drive another 2011ms3 with 5miles and it was that same clunking sound. I told them its the right axle and they agreed but they cant find anything physically wrong with it so they said dont worry about it. It doesnt sound healthy plus my trans is notchy goin into gears which I also said but they didnt really reply to it so I dunno but screw it beat the crap out it and hopefully the trans goes before my 60k warrenty

There is a TSB for the sub frame bushings...I have the same problem. Took it to the dealership last week and I had to drive it for them so they hear the clunk. They ordered the bushings and I went to get them installed today but no-go. The master tech came out and said I would have to leave it cuz it's a 16 hr job...he said they have to drop the engine and trans just to swap out the parts. I now have to drop it off next week for a couple days so they can give me a loaner car.

Back