2010 MS3 climate control question - A/C always comes on...??? How to avoid?

not sure about gen 2 but gen 1 has 2 knobs, one for fan speed and one for temp. turn up or down as you see fit and the ac wont come on. if i push auto then the ac comes on, but only to remove humidity to prevent condensation on the windows. after a few minutes it turns itself off

Daily,

Unfortunately, the Auto Climate Control will activate the air conditioning compressor each time to regulate humidity if I remember correctly. It also activates when the HVAC is switched to Floor, Defrost+Floor, or Defrost.

I actually like when the compressor activates, because between shifts, the rpms will fall faster. Say you drop from 6th to 4th and floor it on the highway, with the compressor on, the rpms will drop fast between shifts. With the compressor off, the rpms can float if you don't let off the throttle quick enough before engaging the clutch.

I've wondered if a lighter flywheel will do the same..

I've never seen the compressor turn off at WOT. Because i've never heard it re-engage after I let off..

But yeah, I stopped paying attention really lol. Especially when I'll be rockin the defrost+floor all winter long. The AC will be well lubricated.

Here's how...

Instead of pushing the "ON" button, simply turn the middle dial (fan control) and the fan will start blowing. Then use the temp dial to control the temp of the incoming air. It won't function like auto climate control and try to achieve the temp you have it set to, rather it just gets warmer or cooler (like all old cars used to be). You can use the button below the fan control to adjust where the air blows.

I do this all the time because I don't like using AC unless I WANT to use it.

jeebusm3, you are the KING! Awesome, man... thanks!

I just tried it, works beautifully. No more having the A/C come on when you want the climate control to run. NICE! Just turn the fan control dial and that turns the system on in "manual mode", no A/C.

It's funny because I kind of remember at one point being able to turn the system on WITHOUT the A/C coming on... I suspect I had turned the fan control by "accident" in the past and just didn't remember. I don't think this is mentioned in the owner's manual. I didn't see it anyway.

Thanks... I'm now a happy climate control user.

(headbang)

It drove me nuts too, so I kept fiddling with the controls until I found something. I figured it HAD to be possible.

On our Mazda5 we always just left it on auto and it would cycle the compressor on/off quite a bit. And (I dunno if it's a coincidence or not) the AC compressor took a crap after 13k miles, lol. Replaced under warranty of course, but geez.

I much prefer to control when the compressor comes on myself.

I absolutely HATE the auto climate control on this car. In my wife's minivan, you have complete control over which vents you want the air routed through (floor, dash, defrost, or any combination thereof), whether or not you want A/C on, and whether you want fresh or recirculated air. Just set the temperature and it will automatically regulate the amount of air needed to hit that tempterature. If you want to route the air through the defrost vents or the floor or whatever, go ahead. If you want to turn the A/C on or off, it doesn't care. The 'auto' will still stay on.

On the MS3, any time I turn on 'auto' it activates the A/C, even if it wasn't on previously. I also can only have recirc activated if defrost is not. What's up with that? If I'm behind a truck or something spitting out horrible fumes that I really don't want coming into my car, pressing the recirc button won't do a damn thing unless I switch to dash or floor or both. Also, if I want to change which vents the air is routed through, it disables 'auto.' Why? Why does the car feel that it can only regulate the cabin temperature if the air is blowing through the dash vents and floor? Or the defrost? And it doesn't necessarily select the same vents every time. What conditions does it require in order to determine which vents it selects? It doesn't make any sense.

I was really excited to get the auto climate control, but now that I have it I never use it. It just isn't implemented well in this car.

Last edited:
Here's how...

Instead of pushing the "ON" button, simply turn the middle dial (fan control) and the fan will start blowing. Then use the temp dial to control the temp of the incoming air. It won't function like auto climate control and try to achieve the temp you have it set to, rather it just gets warmer or cooler (like all old cars used to be). You can use the button below the fan control to adjust where the air blows.

I do this all the time because I don't like using AC unless I WANT to use it.

beat me to it. The only thing that "ON" is for is the auto climate control. The fan speed dial turns the climate control on without turning A/C on.

I personally like auto climate control, however I'm annoyed by the A/C coming on EVERY time i turn it on. No reason to rob HP and MPG when it's not needed. And yea, there's no way around it if you want auto on...A/C every time.

I've never seen the compressor turn off at WOT. Because i've never heard it re-engage after I let off..
I believe on most vehicles, the compressor clutch disengages (free spins) until out of a WOT condition. You wouldn't see/hear anything especially considering all the noise the engine is already making at WOT.

I also can only have recirc activated if defrost is not. What's up with that? If I'm behind a truck or something spitting out horrible fumes that I really don't want coming into my car, pressing the recirc button won't do a damn thing unless I switch to dash or floor or both.

Personally, in all 10 vehicles I've had since 1997, I've never once seen a system allow recirc in defrost mode.

I believe on most vehicles, the compressor clutch disengages (free spins) until out of a WOT condition. You wouldn't see/hear anything especially considering all the noise the engine is already making at WOT.

I know my gf's CX-7 does. Because the air gets hot instantly if you go WOT. But i've never experienced that with my car. And considering, it's belt driven, it's just run the course i'd assume?

Another helpful hint, you can disable that small amount of moving air when you turn the system 'off' by putting it in recirc with the system off.

^
took me a good while to catch onto this in the Mazda family. MS6 pretty much forced me to because it was always so friggin cold in that car lol

Back