2008 Sbm Cx9 Gt

Kymerik

:
2003.5 Mazda Protege5
Well it's official. My mom picked up here 2008 Stormy Blue Mica CX9 Grand Touring today and I went with her to pick it up. I talked her out of getting a POS Honda Pilot, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, Toyota Highlander. It's fully loaded with the Navigation, Rear seat DVD, Sirius, Black leather interior, power lift gate, rear view camera et all. When we picked it up it had a whoppin 317 Miles on it (had to be driven from Indianapolis to dayton to cincinnati) She loves it already.

Photo Op coming when i can pry it out of her hands to mate it with my Protege 5 and my fiance's 2006 Mazda6

Questions: is there anyway to make it so you can change your destination in the navigation while the vehicle is in motion?

Questions: is there anyway to make it so you can change your destination in the navigation while the vehicle is in motion?

Sure! Via MENU, cancel the original route. Then enter the new one. Although, while in motion, the new destination selection will be limited to places that are already listed as POI, etc. So, you won't be able to type in an address.

Sure! Via MENU, cancel the original route. Then enter the new one. Although, while in motion, the new destination selection will be limited to places that are already listed as POI, etc. So, you won't be able to type in an address.

Is there ANY way around this? this seems a bit rediculous that you would have to pull over to the side of the road to change the destination.

Of course, there is a way as always.
You have to install a switch that cut open the speed sensor input to NAVI unit.
When you need to enter destination, switch it open so the NAVI is confused by the current speed (5mph is the cutoff point) and let you enter data (it assumes it is 0mph). Once done, switch it back to close so that the NAVI continues to receive speed input for dead-reckoning (or deduced reckoning - which ever you believe is right).
I am trying to get a Wiring Manual to see where the speed sensor wiring input is. You need to find one that is close to driving position to be useful. Otherwise, the wiring will be very long. In case you don't know yet, the NAVI unit is hidden on the right side of cargo area.

I realize that I'm going to flamed here but, apart from aesthetics, I can't think of a single reason to have an OEM Sat-Nav Unit. If you disagree with me, please convince me otherwise:

Cons:

1. Redundancy: Nothing ages faster than technology. When selling your car, an out of date Sat-Nav on a 3 year old auto is like an albatross on your shoulders.

2. Cost. USD 500 buys a top of the range portable device compared with a mundane OEM for USD 1500

3. Flexibility: In the case of Mazda, portable devices can change destination mid-route.

4. Updates: Just plug your portable into the USB port of your computer. Firmware is updated

5. Portable: Portable is portable, just that, renting a car, take your portable device with you rather than paying USD 20 extra.

6. Userbility: Most OEMs devices are poor cousins of their portables, don't believe me, check out this Marketwatch link

Pros:

1. Stealing OEMs is a rarity.

OEM navigation devices are like the supermarkets selling fresh produce, they don't make a penny profit on them, but customers still insist they supply them.

Imagine how this guy did it:
http://www.coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_MAIN.htm
Look also here
http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/2006/05/24/hack-your-toyota-prius-gps-navigation-system/
I also know another guy who teaches people how to cut wires and install switch. I will find the site and post it here. I have no big interest in doing it since I don't entry destination that frequently.
Note: Toyota NAVI is also made by DENSO, same as our CX-9. I have a Prius. They look almost the same.

Pros of having an OE NAVI:
- start up much much faster than your portable (my portable takes a good 30 seconds, my OE only takes 2 seconds)
- dead reckoning (deduced reckoning). Not available on portable since there is no VSS input and steering angle.
NAVI continues to work even when signal is lost due to blockage (tunnel, tall buildings, etc.)
- better reception due to factory position sensors
- last but not the least, better integration. Yes, integration has a price tag on it.
(I compare it to my NAVIGON 5100).

Cons:
- initial price
- costly update

Last edited:
I;m with you. I can't see spending that much money for a map that has to be programmed and isnt even that accurate. We used a laptop version for a recent trip, and the one time I followed it's directions, it got us lost in the LA projects. Scary.
When they perfect the maps and data, and can make it all voice input for safety, I MAY consider one. I have been looking at the Navigon 7100, though. Has a very different approach to exits and other direction changes; A photo-realistic image of the upcoming intersection. Also has live traffic updates, large screen, and a much nicer mount.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1oZFsm...ain.aspx?showAll=N&g=270650&i=528N7100&tp=145
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2007/528/h528N7100-f.jpeg

The main reason we got the Nav was because it was bundled with the rear camera and auto lift gate. I probably would have skipped it otherwise. My wife likes the larger rear camera image on the nav screen as opposed to the mirror.

This is my first Nav system, so I have don't have much to compare to. It's very basic, but does the job. I don't use it much for directions or commuting (work from home), but the kids like watching the screen move and hearing the voice guidance (it annoys me). they are amazed that the car knows how to get home ;)

Well it's official. My mom picked up here 2008 Stormy Blue Mica CX9 Grand Touring today and I went with her to pick it up. I talked her out of getting a POS Honda Pilot, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, Toyota Highlander. It's fully loaded with the Navigation, Rear seat DVD, Sirius, Black leather interior, power lift gate, rear view camera et all. When we picked it up it had a whoppin 317 Miles on it (had to be driven from Indianapolis to dayton to cincinnati) She loves it already.

Photo Op coming when i can pry it out of her hands to mate it with my Protege 5 and my fiance's 2006 Mazda6

I am pretty sure you can use the voice command to put in the address while in motion. Maybe not as fast as thru the screen option... I think the command is something like "enter address". I find the voice command convenient to find POI's such gas stations, ATMs etc.

I think some newer OEM NAV systems can be updated via a USB stick, but it could just be wishful thinking. What they should really do is make the OEM NAVs have WIFI capability so they can be updated directly from your home wireless network.

I did not buy the OEM NAV because of all the restrictions mentioned above. I do have a portable Garmin, but it is more of a pain to get it all set up everytime you want to use it.

My main reason for going with the oem nav is the seamless integration with the rest of the car. For example when voice turn guidance comes on and you are listening to the radio or sirius, the audio shifts to the right speakers and the voice guidance is played out the front left speaker.

Then there's also the convenience of having everything on one screen, audio source, backup cam, and nav.

I don't like the cluttered look of having things stuck to my winshield especially with the luxurious interior of the GT. This is also the reason I went with the OEM Sirius tuner. Also where I live (Northern NJ), portbable GPS thefts are on the rise.

The hassle of having to take it with me everytime I leave the car is something I don't want to have to deal with.

As for features and functionality I mainly use it to when I drive long distances or to unknown destinations such as when I drive from New Jersey to Vermont to go snowboarding. I'm more concerned about getting to my destination and back without getting lost rather than getting there using the most efficient route. And I'm still not sold on real-time traffic info features that some portable and OEM navs offer.

I've done comparissons with the time mapquest said it would take for me to get to my destinations and the times were similar to the times the oem nav said it would take.

Being that the oem nav is out of date, so far I've had no isssues with the various destinations I have used the oem nav to help me get to. I don't use it for frequent destinations like work, the grocery store, or home. But I do have them saved as memory points and will use the nav to route me when I am stuck in traffic and need an alternate route. It's been hit or miss but mostly hit.

My main reason for going with the oem nav is the seamless integration with the rest of the car.

I agree, and if the NAV had been 1/3 the price it was listed for, I probably would have gone for it. Scrolling for Sirius stations would be so much easier on the NAV, as opposed to the one line they give you without the NAV (and to the engineer who thought of that, you're an idiot: would it have killed you to to have a 2-line display!)

My main reason for going with the oem nav is the seamless integration with the rest of the car.

I agree, and if the NAV had been 1/3 the price it was listed for, I probably would have gone for it. Scrolling for Sirius stations would be so much easier on the NAV, as opposed to the one line they give you without the NAV (and to the engineer who thought of that, you're an idiot: would it have killed you to to have a 2-line display!)

I got it because integrating an aftermarket soluiton is more expensive. Yes, I can hang a box off the widow with a suction cup. But I'm not a fan of that having already had one stolen leaving a broken window for me to replace. And it's just ugly.

That said, the OEM nav is very dated. Not just the maps, but the unit in general. It does boot fast, but the feature set is weak. No nav traffic, the voice recognition is pathetic and the bluetooth phone support while fucntional is alos super sad.

Hopefully we'll see "sync" as an option in the near future as Fords exclusive will expire this year.

Back