2008 CX9 NAV routing engine sucks!

2008GT

I just recently took a 200mi trip over the weekend. Now I've been to the same location without nav, with portable GPS, and this time in the CX9's nav. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS ROUTING ENGINE? IT PICKS THE WEIRDEST ROUTE. AT ONE TIME, IT TOLD ME TO GET OFF OF INTERSTATE ONTO 25MPH STREET FOR ABOUT 10MI WHEN IT RUNS PARALLEL TO THE SAME INTERSTATE(setting=most use of freeway, toll rodes) than later tells me to get back on to the interstate....so I've basically unnecessarly lost like 10-15mins due to slow speed, stop sign, traffic. . This is just an example. I've tried playing with every setting possible for routing options and not one setting finds the most efficient route for any of the places that I drive regularly. I've used many Portable GPS devices as well as in-dash nav so I'm no stranger to this area. IMH Honda nav systems are the best ones out there not to mention the ease of use. I really wish there would be a better routing engine/software. My little Magellan Roadmate GPS outperforms my CX9's..(help) Am I the only one with this complaint?

Last edited:
look in your gps settings where you can select PREFER TOLL ROADS/FREEWAY....or something like that so it will pick the main roads/freeways instead of the local/back roads. try it. Don't get pissed yet

look in your gps settings where you can select PREFER TOLL ROADS/FREEWAY....or something like that so it will pick the main roads/freeways instead of the local/back roads. try it. Don't get pissed yet
That exatly what I did. I've even stopped into a parking lot during the trip trying to make it pick the freeways only with routing preferences. My map version says 2007 so it's not the database, it's the funky routing engine.. (smash)

well, there are 3 routing preference: quick, short, and alternate. You'll figure out from there the best route that uses the freeways. If that doesn't work, have patience. The system will learn your usual route. It uses Navteq which is the same GPS engine that Magellan, TomTom, Garmin and Navman uses.

Make sure to set it to fastest route as shortest and alternate might result in a less logical routes.
I have no complaints so far with using it in Los Angeles area.

Amen...

This past weekend, my family drove from NY to Florida. The $%^& navigation system actually started to take us into DOWNTOWN DC!!!!! I won't go into the other poor directions it was trying to have us follow (which thank goodness we knew enough to ignore). Another time I was driving from Tampa to West Palm Beach (3 hour trip) and the shortest trip had me taking over 4 hours to get there. The "alternate" route had me at about 5.5 hours! My community is about 5 years old and this stupid navi system has only about half our streets on it. My particular street is over three years old and it isn't on the navi. I won't get into the other countless bad, mileage and time adding directions it's given me. I could have found a lot better things to do with the thousands of dollars I wasted on it. I now take my Garmin Nuvi with me and kick myself for spending the money on what I though was going to be a good option.

No real help, just wanted to vent...

This past weekend, my family drove from NY to Florida. The $%^& navigation system actually started to take us into DOWNTOWN DC!!!!! I won't go into the other poor directions it was trying to have us follow (which thank goodness we knew enough to ignore). Another time I was driving from Tampa to West Palm Beach (3 hour trip) and the shortest trip had me taking over 4 hours to get there. The "alternate" route had me at about 5.5 hours! My community is about 5 years old and this stupid navi system has only about half our streets on it. My particular street is over three years old and it isn't on the navi. I won't get into the other countless bad, mileage and time adding directions it's given me. I could have found a lot better things to do with the thousands of dollars I wasted on it. I now take my Garmin Nuvi with me and kick myself for spending the money on what I though was going to be a good option.

No real help, just wanted to vent...

EXACTLY why I wont waste my money on a Nav in a car.

I still hate my Stupid NAV. I only use it on local roads. It is awesome at finding local roads but when most of your trip is going to be on a freeway, for get it, it will make you get off the freeway every 10minutes because it thinks you're saving time.....braking from highway speed, speeding back up to freeway speed will waste gas like no other. Honda/Acura still offers the best nav ever! I live in WA incase anyone is wondering

Last edited:
Back