2003 Protege5 back from the brink: budget rebirth.

Thanks for the info, any more and any more pics are welcome :p Car looks great, just keep telling us how it is holding up.

Thanks for the image, now i'll blow it up and put it on my roof BWAHAHAHAHA...no really :(
Love your taste in digital art. I had a folder like that on my parents desktop back in the day, but who knows what's on their computer now.

UPDATE TIME!!!! HOLY CRAP THOSE WHEELS IS BRIGHT!

So at the last minute before the car show I went to this weekend I decided to go for it and re-finish the Mazda 3 wheels I have until I get some nice aftermarket 18's later. I ended up spraying these with rattle can graffiti paint as well to keep it on the cheap. I wanted to keep it with the All City brand like the car body, but the local retailer for them was out of stock on the color I wanted and didn't have anything even close. But a friend of mine found this smoke shop in town that carries tons of graffiti paint (as well as other weird stuff like r/c-cars and such. Actually it was like a Hobby Bench where you could also buy a bong.) Very weird, but at least they had the bright paint I was looking for. The color was actually supposed to be more purple and less pink, but the cap didn't quite match the color that sprayed out. Either way it was still bright and flashy so I was ok with it. It took 2 cans to cover all 4 wheels.

The color is Ironlak brand: Pose Sushi (gloss)

I was a bit nervous at the show, but I could not believe the positive responses I heard on the whole car. Everyone seemed to love it and It was really fun to appreciate my car again for myself. I actually had to step away for a bit because my mouth was dry from talking so much! I think the bright wheels really fit the vibe I'm going for with the car as well as matching my personality. Hope you guys dig it.

6874044651_fbc0de3301_b.jpg

6874049371_9ec302fed4_b.jpg

6874051585_938b4da36b_b.jpg

6874053465_6336f0fabb_b.jpg

6874047333_7128abe587_b.jpg

6874144285_c0c3facbe4_b.jpg

6874145567_eebe38f412_b.jpg

Good stuff man, really. I'm glad to see someone actually doing their own thing, rather than following the trends set forth by so many people who have come and gone from the community... or trends that VW people had set forth (and you know who you are).

Keep up the good work!

I think you could use the wheel color as an accent elsewhere on the car just to tie it in a little more. Maybe the mirrors and roof rack, or maybe a pinstripe along the graphics Could be too much though. I like the look, nice work!

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I'm definitely going to look into those bumper brackets. As far as using the wheel color in other areas, I may do that, but not till after I get new wheels and figure out the final color I will be using. The aftermarkets will be professionally painted or powder coated.

I'm possibly thinking about doing some rotiform BLQs, but I'm not sure yet.

http://www.rotiform.com/products_cast_1piece_blq.htm

I think the BLQ's would be pretty interesting. Maybe if you experiment with color options. 1 color for the face of the wheel, and 1 color for the beveled accents. Maybe if you did a flat black face with the bevel edges color match your car. Just some ideas. I'd like to see it

Thats the magic of photoshop. I will definetly render the wheels before I actually buy/paint them. Just to be sure. Thats how I decided to only paint the lower half of the rear bumper black and not all the way up to the line like everyone else. It looked better with just the lowest section when I did it on the computer and I think it was the right decision.

Holy hell does that color for wheels ever make your car stand out (as if the body color doesn't).

Yeah, I notice how you did the valence that way. Made me wonder, what if you just did the outline/border, but I don't think that would look so great

Small update: Some of you may have noticed in a few of the pics above that I'm down to one original incandescent bulb for my license plate. Unacceptable! So I ordered a set of led bulbs. These babies are way bright. Not a huge thing, but I think it makes the car look a bit newer. I always notice the newer Lexus cars on the road with factory led plate lights. A good $8 ebay buy if you ask me. I've got some coming in too for my dome and map lights inside.

6890108991_0e8941c952_b.jpg

6890109625_1621a45bc9_b.jpg

6890110149_c5a6fe3a27_b.jpg

Looks great, I've been meaning to buy some for ages. Could you post a link to the dealer you bought from? that way I can be certain they look good and fit

Thanks for the link, just paid for them. I eventually want to change anything I can out to LED as not to worry about burning out or moisture. Hopefully I can change everything in My tail lights

are they pretty white like the lexus lights or are they really blueish? i bought some and they turned out too blue for my liking

Back