2003 Protege Repeated Wheel Bearing Failures

,.. The bearing seemed smooth and tight. Got it back from him and I was right, put it back together and no change in the noise.

A grinding that gets louder as speed increases. Not too noticeable until 35 or so.

Yeah dude, you did the wrong side.

Even a fake bearing will last a couple of weeks before it fails and starts to rumble.
(unless you tighten the axle nut to 600 ft/lbs like I did, but even that took a day or two to start rumbling)

,..no change in the noise.

,.. Gets slightly louder when going left, pretty much goes away when going right. Acts a lot like my first video, except the noise is not as aggressive and it makes it when driving straight and turning left, but not when turning right.

The turning right or left only tells you whether it's the inner or outer race and bearing set that is worn out.
It could be either wheel.
The pressure of turning switches from side to side of the bearing as well as side to side of the car.

The rumbling is good because you can hear it when the car is jacked up and the steering wheel is pointed straight.

I could hear and feel the rumbling of the bad wheel with it jacked up.
(be careful when you do this. Your car is running and your wheels are spinning.)

Bearings tend to go in pairs.
I didn't wait for my other side to go bad.
I just did them both.

Back