2003.5 MSP Keys

I bought a 03.5 from a recovery service recently. So of course, it has no keys. Can I get a regular key, or does it have a chip ? Someone said it was just a normal key, but I want to be sure. If it is, ive seen MZ19 and MZ31. One for ignition and one for trunk or just different years. I just need to be able ti move it around. Thanks !

My 2003 Protege5 came with a black handle Mazda key + fob and a generic metal key. Both work the same and start the car just fine, so I would be 99% sure there is no chip for the P5, and very likely same for the MSP.

I know that doesn't fully answer your question, but hopefully it helps a smidge.

I got my P5 with two keys and no remote.

Mazda wanted $184 for an OEM remote.
I got two remotes at a wrecker for $10.

No fancy key, but I did get a copy made about 12 years ago and he needed proof that I owned the car before he would copy the key.

IMG_20220901_223811.jpg

Someone said it was just a normal key, but I want to be sure. If it is, ive seen MZ19 and MZ31. One for ignition and one for trunk or just different years. I just need to be able ti move it around. Thanks !

That's ringing a bell.
My car came with two keys. A valet key and a regular key. (I think?)

Screenshot_20220901-231810_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I'm not positive, I also had a 1985 Mazda 626 that may have had both keys? But I'm pretty sure that I could lock the Valet out of my glove box and tailgate with my P5.
(it doesn't work for the tailgate. You just fold down the rear seats to gain access, but you can lock your glove box.)

I found this in my owners manual.

IMG_20220904_071633.jpg

It looks like the keys are the same and open all locks.

ive seen MZ19 and MZ31. One for ignition and one for trunk or just different years. I just need to be able ti move it around. Thanks !

I guess the different part numbers are for either the plastic covered key or the plain metal key.
(the valet key must have been for my 626)

Back