2 amps + 2 subs wiring diagram

dannyboy17

:
MSP Protege
I just sketched this (original image from crutchfield.com) and I was wondering if thats the best way to wire them?

wiringdiagram.jpg

I have 2 600W amps, and 2 DVC subs. The problem is that the amps are different brands so to avoid powering one sub more than the other, I was thinking about using this diagram that I sketched. It wont mess up the other amp by both going to the same subs?

Wont work and you will likely kill both amps.
Please give me the amps and subs model numbers.
What you can try is to get a resonably priced voltage meter and set the amplifier gains with that.

All you have to do is connect one sub to one amp. Set it up and then disconnect the suwoofer wires. Use a volt meter on the AC voltage setting and record the value playing a 50hz tone at 3/4 volume on your head unit. Then while playing the same tone at the same level use the meter on the other amps speaker outputs. Then dial in the amplifiers gain until it matches that of the other amp.

That should work out rather well. Atleast enough that you will not hear the difference. Do not put the subs in a single air space though. You want them in essentialy seperate boxes.

DO NOT EVEN ATTEMP THIS WITH A BANDPASS BOX.

2 different amps can be used for sealed or nothing.
Also the box should be built for the subswoofers specificly to do bandpass or it should not be done at all. A decent ported or sealed box will destroy the bandpass in most every way when the bandpass is a prefab.

are you kidding me?
I paid $200+ for that box, its supossed to be perfect for my setup...at least thats what they told me.

damn it

are you kidding me?
I paid $200+ for that box, its supossed to be perfect for my setup...at least thats what they told me.

damn it

They cant possibly know that unless they ran a box building program for your subwoofers, your car,, and your deisred tuning frequency and Q.
If you saw the equations involved in real bandpass boxes it would blow your mind.

The reality is that the sealed chamber, ported chamber, port length, and port cross sectional area are incredibly important to what the box will sound like. A bandpass box only allows for a very small and specific range of sound to pass. This also allows the box to play alot louder in only those frquencies. Outside of that range there is almost no sound what-so-ever. So a sealed or ported box will play far better over a much larger bass range as with your combo you have no clue what range, gain, or roll off you will have. What makes bandpass even more fun is that you can not hear distortion or a subwoofer getting its ass kicked in one. So if you are over driving the sub or it is screaming out for help, you will not hear it and you will destroy that subwoofer.

You can see what you get with the combo but realize that you are better off tuning with a volt meter then your ear with a bandpass. Otherwise I would ebay that sucker before you end up needing new subs.

I am not saying you wont like the sound, you very well might. I am saying that a well constructed ported box, which needs to be likewise matched to the sub, will dominate it.

Bandpass are loud and thats about it. Not really anyone that even consideres SQ would bother with them any longer.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=147

im already over my budget for this sound sytem so I think my only choice is to set all the gains to the minimun in both amps, and run each amp to each sub in the current box. If I dont like the sound I will have to wait till I can save up money again to build a nice sealed or ported box (i like hip hop, so I think sealed is better, right?).

argh, Im frustrated tho.

I think you are making things too complicated. Just hook up one sub to one am and the other sub to the other amp. Make sure they are in separate boxes and you are good to go.

Your system will be unbalanced powering the same subs with different amps. Why not just sell one amp and get a matching second of the one amp you decided to keep? Or sell them both a get a larger amp to run both subs.

may I impart a golden nugget of knowledge to you?

read www.bcae1.com please.

The whole thing. It will take time, but if you have the least bit of interest in learning about car audio (and indeed audio in general), you need to take the time to learn for yourself.

thanks for the link.
Im gonna try to run both subs seperate, one with each amp and see how it sounds. If im not happy...then Im selling everythign seperate.

thanks for the link.
Im gonna try to run both subs seperate, one with each amp and see how it sounds. If im not happy...then Im selling everythign seperate.
Again, your just asking for things to blow up.
Ditch that box, and all else will be fine. You shoul dbe able to easily seel it for the cost of a quality sealed box.

Back