2016~2023 2.5T Engine replacement time (actual labor hours)?

For those of you who have completed the engine replacement process: What kind of waiting periods did you experience once the engine arrived and the dealer began work?

I'm starting a new thread because I don't want to hi-jack the other threads (more than I already have). My CX-9 is at the dealer with a cracked block, getting a the long block replaced. My car has been there since September 14, but the engine arrived Saturday, November 13. For reasons unknown to me, they didn't touch my car until Wednesday, November 17, and I was told 3 to 4 days. I'm now at 6 days, and I'm told it likely won't be ready this week, meaning it's going to be more like 10-14 days. This seems like they're dragging their feet, but maybe I'm just anxious and frustrated.

If it's of value to others, I could start some type of data collection so we can see patterns or something (maybe it's not worth it, you tell me).

Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer to have some data vs. no data. I can't recall exactly, but I believe some people got their cars back within 1 week of the dealer receiving all of the necessary parts.

I think the actual "turnaround" would vary depending on a lot of factors, like part supply, competence level of the tech performing the work, other jobs that may interfere with work being done on your vehicle, manpower available, etc.

It's unfortunate, but communication is one of the most overlooked parts of providing good service. If they're going to push something back, they should at least let you know why.

Last edited:
That's great news you finally got your engine. It really depends on work load to prioritize the customers. But without ranting on and to answer your question... 2 days. Now keep in mind I have no way of verifying but I received a call late Wednesday saying my engine came in Tuesday and the vehicle will be ready on Saturday which it was ready. If I take their word, they only had Thursday and Friday.

It really depends on work load to prioritize the customers.
Yeah, and I absolutely understand this. Knowing that it's Thanksgiving week, I also expect there to be people taking time off to be with family. I was expecting hoping the 3-4 day timeline would hold true, but the SA re-confirmed I won't have it back until next week.

For those following my situation, I'm still without my CX-9. I just got off the phone with them, and they promised I'll have it back tomorrow (assuming the overnight cold start test drive goes well).

Back