Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 47 39.8%
  • No

Votes: 71 60.2%

• Total voters
They extended the warranty for the cracked monitor from 5 ys to 7 here is the document Mazda put out.

Unfortunately mine is 2019 though they use the same part for the screen and same issue. Of course they declined to fix my crack since it's not part of the TSB.

I have the leak problem now at only 53,300 miles and my warranty ran out in Dec. 2022. I had to file a claim with Mazda to cover this in good will and going on two weeks now. I have been posting on all social media sites and even wrote on their wall on FB and finally got a response from them. I am getting ready to go to the media because they are well aware of two issues and even issues a Technical Service Bulletin on the collant leaks. I question why they didn't do a recall or why there isn't a class action lawsuit for this issue. It's rediculous they want you to pay for the repair knowing it's a manufacturing defect on their part! I have an extended warrante who wants to inspect the parts and the tear down is $3,500 which they won't cover. i refuse to pay anything out of my pocket for this. I am ready to contact the media to make this issue very public!
Hi, I am sorry you are having to deal with this issue especially with low mileage and not getting any headway from your Dealer / Mazda. I have a 2016 CX-9 and it had 104K. It was over the extended warranty of 100k. Originally my local dealer said it would have been a sure shot to get this issue covered if I was under 100K miles, but he was going to submit it anyway. I worked with a really good service guy (luckily). I was sincere and not aggressive in my initial discussions.

My symptoms to come to the conclusion that I had this specific issue noted in this TSB were: white billowing smoke, funny exhaust smell. Then the following day overheated. Come to find out I had zero coolant with no visible leaks. So I refilled the coolant and headed over to my local dealer (San Diego area). I had to pay a non-refundable $250 diagnostic fee which would end up going towards the final bill. They concluded the leak was internal and qualified for the fix (see attachment). Initially they quoted me 11K for a new motor if Mazda was not going to cover it! I was thinking time to cut my losses, trade in and start looking for a new ride. Gratefully, Mazda agreed to cover for a replacement engine which I had to pay $1K of it (my initial $250 included). So new motor (block and head, sparkplugs, gaskets etc. Kept my original turbo and they provided a 12K mile warranty on the new motor. One thing to add is how this service guy went above and beyond was that I had a modified air filter and catch can (though I knew it had nothing to do with this issue). I told him I would swap back to the OEM parts, but he said don't worry about it and he would not mention it in his report.

From all the different post and Mazda forums I read up on, it seems to boil down to your dealership / service person and ultimately Mazda corp. I agree they should be handling this in a procedural way. I to purposely bought my car knowing it was built in Japan where quality standards are high. Car runs like a champ now and plan on driving it till the wheels fall off. Glad to provide any more information to anyone if it can help.

Attachments

• IMG_1444.jpeg
    IMG_1444.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 89
Hi, I am sorry you are having to deal with this issue especially with low mileage and not getting any headway from your Dealer / Mazda. I have a 2016 CX-9 and it had 104K. It was over the extended warranty of 100k. Originally my local dealer said it would have been a sure shot to get this issue covered if I was under 100K miles, but he was going to submit it anyway. I worked with a really good service guy (luckily). I was sincere and not aggressive in my initial discussions.

My symptoms to come to the conclusion that I had this specific issue noted in this TSB were: white billowing smoke, funny exhaust smell. Then the following day overheated. Come to find out I had zero coolant with no visible leaks. So I refilled the coolant and headed over to my local dealer (San Diego area). I had to pay a non-refundable $250 diagnostic fee which would end up going towards the final bill. They concluded the leak was internal and qualified for the fix (see attachment). Initially they quoted me 11K for a new motor if Mazda was not going to cover it! I was thinking time to cut my losses, trade in and start looking for a new ride. Gratefully, Mazda agreed to cover for a replacement engine which I had to pay $1K of it (my initial $250 included). So new motor (block and head, sparkplugs, gaskets etc. Kept my original turbo and they provided a 12K mile warranty on the new motor. One thing to add is how this service guy went above and beyond was that I had a modified air filter and catch can (though I knew it had nothing to do with this issue). I told him I would swap back to the OEM parts, but he said don't worry about it and he would not mention it in his report.

From all the different post and Mazda forums I read up on, it seems to boil down to your dealership / service person and ultimately Mazda corp. I agree they should be handling this in a procedural way. I to purposely bought my car knowing it was built in Japan where quality standards are high. Car runs like a champ now and plan on driving it till the wheels fall off. Glad to provide any more information to anyone if it can help.
thank you so much for this uplifting information. I was very kind as I had no idea what had happened or why. I was patient waiting but got nowhere. I started to google and research and soon realized all of this information on the defect. I was clearly denied coverage by the Mazda Corp. At this point, I was going on two weeks and now I was starting to get a bit more aggressive. I decided to go to the dealership and speak with the manager yester and he called in the head of mechanics. They were trying to get out of assuming responsibility by telling me I was not a loyal customer because I did not have my car serviced with them and that if I had things would have been different! I could not believe they were even saying this. I asked them if they were discriminating me. I showed them the documents that supported my findings and provided them with all of my service documents from day 1 to current to show proof it had nothing to do with my negligence in maintaining my car. When they saw the documents I had, the mechanic stated that was for inhouse to know how to fix the leak. He said they felt the problem was not a safety issue and that's why a recall has not been done. I asked them what if my engine would have blown on the freeway is that not a safety issue? He finally agreed to call the warranty dept and stated they were good friends and he would see what he could do. This was short of me having to tell them my next step was the media to make others aware of the problem. In the end, the manager continued to mention that if I would have serviced my car with them things would have been different as I was not considered a loyal customer. I told him that is discrimination, manipulation and illegal and he nodded his head yes! In the end, I now realize it was the dealership. They are assuming responsibility and working with my 3rd party warranty and finally gave me a loaner and going to cover my rental car expenses.

Unfortunately mine is 2019 though they use the same part for the screen and same issue. Of course they declined to fix my crack since it's not part of the TSB.
I am confused because the TSB is totally separate. I had mine replaced once and at it happened again so requested they put in the new screen that was updated since the warrantee for the cracks in the display was extended to 7 years. Did you show them the document that states the extension?

I don't know if this has been addressed but this poll is meaningless. Here is why. The sample being polled is not a valid sample. You really need to remove any of 38 vote that were made by people BROUGHT TO THIS FORUM BECAUSE THEY WERE SEEKING INFO ABOUT THIER CRACKED HEAD. It not a random sample. We dont have people in this forum that signed up because GOD DAMIT I NEED TO FIND OUT WHY MY HEAD ISN'T CRACKED, and then placing thier votes. This poll just adds to the consternation. I might not be explaining it well but the group that voted is heavily biased towards "cracked head". Its like being in an AA meeting and asking the question "how many people have had problems with alcohol". You get 100% yes, and then us that info to think everybody who drinks is an alcoholic. There needs to be a disclaimer on the OP to calm people down. 38% of the CX9 owners have cracked heads?? Really???

Reactions: JPL
I don't know if this has been addressed but this poll is meaningless. Here is why. The sample being polled is not a valid sample. You really need to remove any of 38 vote that were made by people BROUGHT TO THIS FORUM BECAUSE THEY WERE SEEKING INFO ABOUT THIER CRACKED HEAD. It not a random sample. We dont have people in this forum that signed up because GOD DAMIT I NEED TO FIND OUT WHY MY HEAD ISN'T CRACKED, and then placing thier votes. This poll just adds to the consternation. I might not be explaining it well but the group that voted is heavily biased towards "cracked head". Its like being in an AA meeting and asking the question "how many people have had problems with alcohol". You get 100% yes, and then us that info to think everybody who drinks is an alcoholic. There needs to be a disclaimer on the OP to calm people down. 38% of the CX9 owners have cracked heads?? Really???

You're saying a lot of things that people have already discussed in previous posts (in this thread and others). There's no need to edit or remove votes from the poll as long as people understand what it actually represents.

Yea, it represents gibberish statistically. Another good analogy is if you're standing in a Firestone Tire store and ask everybody that walks in the door have your tires worn out? And they answer yes! and then the dumb people say THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS! :). (maybe using Firestone wasn't the best choice for my analogy)

Most forums I have been to the threads that are sticky-ed are reserved for solid info that new and old members can quickly find to assist them. This is far from that. This puts Mazda in a bad light in the eyes of people who can't get their head around that the info is gibberish. Mazda sells vehicles to those people too. If I was Mazda I wouldn't be happy about this pole. Maybe something near the OP that the poll is obviously skewed towards people having their heads crack and try to explain why. I see people linking this poll on Facebook. Just doesn't seem fair to Mazda AND the people that aren't able to understand that it's bad info. Just my 2 cents.

After back and forth with Mazda, gathering information to enlighten me about the coolant leak, I was able to compile enough supporting evidence with regard to the manufacturing defect. Don't get me wrong, I love my car and that is why I purchased it but....I had no clue of the defect issues until now. I did have to educate myself in order to defend my rights so I joined groups and found this site to see what others were saying. I have been disputing this issue with Mazda Corp since 3-18-23 because they would not accept liability and it was a back and forth thing.

I decided to go and met with the Manager who called in the head mechanic after I explained my situation. I provided all the documentation I had as well as my maintenance records from the time of purchase to current. I further advised them that social media was the greatest thing. That they should google this problem to see all the complaints everyone is having.

1. I was told that I was not a loyal customer because I did not have my car serviced with them and if I had, the outcome would have been different since the get go. I asked them if I was being discriminated because I went to my own certified mechanic. This sort of manipulation or discrimination is illegal which I did mention to them. If I am still paying for my car and own a Mazda, I am a loyal customer. I have my car serviced with a certified mechanic.
The manager went so far as to ask me if he was Mazda certified! I replied he is not required to be.

2. I had to mention exposure to the medial regarding this issue so others would be aware of Mazda's knowledge on this defect.

3. I asked why there hasn't been a recall, they do not consider it to be a life threatening issue...really what if I were on the freeway and my engine blows?

4. I was told that because I have a 3rd party warranty, that supersedes theirs. I stated I didn't need to tell you I had one, but why lie about it. I had to inform them that if it's a manufacturing defect, my warranty would not cover as I have read this happen to others.

I stood firm with my decision to move forward with exposure if needed. I reiterated that I honestly do not care how t's taken care of as long as no money comes out of my pocket.

I finally got a call today from Mazda's head mechanic and was told I needed a whole new engine. He also went to say that Mazda's warranty company told him "just order her a new engine” Mazda is well aware of this problem and it's happened a lot.

Finally light at the end of the tunnel!!! I couldn't be happier to have this nightmare resolved.

I am attaching the two bulletins that show how far back this issue has gone should you need them.

Attachments

• Mazda Bulletins.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 89
After back and forth with Mazda, gathering information to enlighten me about the coolant leak, I was able to compile enough supporting evidence with regard to the manufacturing defect. Don't get me wrong, I love my car and that is why I purchased it but....I had no clue of the defect issues until now. I did have to educate myself in order to defend my rights so I joined groups and found this site to see what others were saying. I have been disputing this issue with Mazda Corp since 3-18-23 because they would not accept liability and it was a back and forth thing.

I decided to go and met with the Manager who called in the head mechanic after I explained my situation. I provided all the documentation I had as well as my maintenance records from the time of purchase to current. I further advised them that social media was the greatest thing. That they should google this problem to see all the complaints everyone is having.

1. I was told that I was not a loyal customer because I did not have my car serviced with them and if I had, the outcome would have been different since the get go. I asked them if I was being discriminated because I went to my own certified mechanic. This sort of manipulation or discrimination is illegal which I did mention to them. If I am still paying for my car and own a Mazda, I am a loyal customer. I have my car serviced with a certified mechanic.
The manager went so far as to ask me if he was Mazda certified! I replied he is not required to be.

2. I had to mention exposure to the medial regarding this issue so others would be aware of Mazda's knowledge on this defect.

3. I asked why there hasn't been a recall, they do not consider it to be a life threatening issue...really what if I were on the freeway and my engine blows?

4. I was told that because I have a 3rd party warranty, that supersedes theirs. I stated I didn't need to tell you I had one, but why lie about it. I had to inform them that if it's a manufacturing defect, my warranty would not cover as I have read this happen to others.

I stood firm with my decision to move forward with exposure if needed. I reiterated that I honestly do not care how t's taken care of as long as no money comes out of my pocket.

I finally got a call today from Mazda's head mechanic and was told I needed a whole new engine. He also went to say that Mazda's warranty company told him "just order her a new engine” Mazda is well aware of this problem and it's happened a lot.

Finally light at the end of the tunnel!!! I couldn't be happier to have this nightmare resolved.

I am attaching the two bulletins that show how far back this issue has gone should you need them.
What year is your car? Did they say where the leak was coming from? Just an FYI, the water pump document is not an issue. Well actually it is an issue, the issue was people that didnt know what they were doing were unnecessarily removing and replacing good water pumps. Small evidence of coolant at that weep hole is normal for water pump with this design. Not unique to Mazda. Honda, Toyota, all Asian engines use this. But the other TSB you posted is the infamous cracked head tsb. And one more point. I try to differentiate between MazdaUSA and a lowly Mazda Dealership. The dealerships are often disreputable. Be interesting if the Stealership was smart enuf to know where your leak was coming from.

Last edited:

The second TSB you've identified is for the V6 in the first generation CX-9 and has nothing to do with the turbo 4 head issue.

Most forums I have been to the threads that are sticky-ed are reserved for solid info that new and old members can quickly find to assist them. This is far from that. This puts Mazda in a bad light in the eyes of people who can't get their head around that the info is gibberish. Mazda sells vehicles to those people too. If I was Mazda I wouldn't be happy about this pole. Maybe something near the OP that the poll is obviously skewed towards people having their heads crack and try to explain why. I see people linking this poll on Facebook. Just doesn't seem fair to Mazda AND the people that aren't able to understand that it's bad info. Just my 2 cents.

This isn't a stickied thread. The two threads that are stickied contain related TSBs and recommendations for actions to take if you have the issue.

While we are a Mazda-centric forum, we do not represent or speak on behalf of Mazda. We're just a bunch of people who happen to own or like Mazdas. Again, the poll is fine as long as people understand what it represents. It isn't up to us to enlighten those who don't understand, but you do make a good point. I'll try to edit the OP to include a disclaimer.

Recalls are typically only issued for widespread safety concerns. A slow coolant leak by itself would not result in any loss of power, or create an unsafe situation on the road. When the coolant gets low, there are warnings that show up on the dash. The engine wouldn't "blow"

I finally got a call today from Mazda's head mechanic

That's interesting. What is the name of the "head mechanic"?

Head machanics dont call customers and this member posted a water pump tsb. So everything on this individual will have to take with a grain of salt

This isn't a stickied thread. The two threads that are stickied contain related TSBs and recommendations for actions to take if you have the issue.

While we are a Mazda-centric forum, we do not represent or speak on behalf of Mazda. We're just a bunch of people who happen to own or like Mazdas. Again, the poll is fine as long as people understand what it represents. It isn't up to us to enlighten those who don't understand, but you do make a good point. I'll try to edit the OP to include a disclaimer.

Recalls are typically only issued for widespread safety concerns. A slow coolant leak by itself would not result in any loss of power, or create an unsafe situation on the road. When the coolant gets low, there are warnings that show up on the dash. The engine wouldn't "blow"

That's interesting. What is the name of the "head mechanic"?
You're right it's not sticky. I don't know how I made that mistake, I could have sworn I saw that there was a sticky there. My apologies. I doubt there's a way to do this but it would be a fun stat to know how many of the 36 cracked head members voted while their membership was less than a week old.

Last edited:
So, the head replacement is probably in order, though I believe the engine has to come out of the car for them to do the head, so it's pretty much a wash on labor to replace the head vs. replacing the engine. If the "just" do the head, they have to swap everything over onto your "old" engine block and that is a lot of work...seems easier just to do the engine swap, BUT only if MAZDA is paying, right?

Anyway, here I would say if you have a good Mazda dealer, with conscientious and patient service advisors/service managers, they may be able to get Mazda corporate to pay something towards the repair. In my case, I ended up paying about $2800 on a repair that would have cost close to $7000, which, while I was grumbling that I shouldn't have to pay to have a manufacturer defect on my vehicle repaired, it was better than nothing.

My CX-9 had 78K miles on it at the time, so they may not cover as much of the repair given the higher mileage on your CX-9, but I really don't know. It would help if you have meticulously maintained the vehicle and have detailed service records to provide to them, if they ask; (in my case they apparently asked the dealer to see their service records for my vehicle, but I do all my own maintenance (and keep meticulous records!!) and I offered to share my records with them, but they didn't ask for them. I did write Mazda corporate a "complaint" letter after it was all over and they called/e-mailed me and asked me what I wanted. I told them: 1) a little transparency about what the actual problem is (what is actually causing these heads to fail?) and 2) that they apply a consistent repair policy across the board, don't cover some repairs and not others...cover them all in full, regardless of the mileage, or decide on some pre-set percentage and let the dealers know what the policy is...and apply it consistently.

So after that they (Mazda) contacted the dealer to see how much I actually paid for the repair, and based on what the dealer told them, they decided they had paid "enough" and wouldn't pay me any more. Remember, I DID NOT ASK them for money!! They simply ignored my other requests. I may call them again sometime to close the loop and see if they are able to provide me with what I actually asked them. Meanwhile our car just passed 80K miles and other than an over sensitive TPMS that I have had to reset TWICE since we got our car back, we have had no other issues. Knock on the proverbial wood...🪵
Thank you for your detailed reply. I really appreciated. I turned in the car on Monday. It's been four days and I have not heard back from them. On the bright side, they did provide me with a loaner vehicle which was a life saver.

You're right it's not sticky. I don't know how I made that mistake, I could have sworn I saw that there was a sticky there. My apologies. I doubt there's a way to do this but it would be a fun stat to know how many of the 36 cracked head members voted while their membership was less than a week old.

Fully agree with the statistical issue of forums, but i think most are aware of it. You can even see the total number of vote isn’t really high.

What i can say though is that i browse this forum on at least a weekly basis, and there is about a new person reporting a coolant leak issue per two week on average on the other two threads on this topic. I still can’t figure out statistically if this is a large percentage or not, but it is definitely trending in the wrong direction in my opinion. Remember that there is also a large percentage of people not reporting on forums and using Facebook or reddit instead.

But i agree. Forums are a concentration of concerns and we shouldn’t panic about it, but it allows people to identify potential problems and address them early. For example, i had the screen spider web crack happen on my 2018 and i caught it 2 weeks before the end of my 3 years warranty because i new what to look for and that it wad serious thanks to the forum.

Fully agree with the statistical issue of forums, but i think most are aware of it. You can even see the total number of vote isn’t really high.

What i can say though is that i browse this forum on at least a weekly basis, and there is about a new person reporting a coolant leak issue per two week on average on the other two threads on this topic. I still can’t figure out statistically if this is a large percentage or not, but it is definitely trending in the wrong direction in my opinion. Remember that there is also a large percentage of people not reporting on forums and using Facebook or reddit instead.

But i agree. Forums are a concentration of concerns and we shouldn’t panic about it, but it allows people to identify potential problems and address them early. For example, i had the screen spider web crack happen on my 2018 and i caught it 2 weeks before the end of my 3 years warranty because i new what to look for and that it wad serious thanks to the forum.
I completely agree with every thing you said, from this trending in the wrong direction, to these forums being an absolute gold mine of information for people. I can not even begin to remember all the things forums have helped me with over the years. Thats why I always try to add any tidbits of info I discover to help others going forward. Thanks for yours, and everyones insights

So an update to my cracked cylinder head. Got it fixed after 3 weeks at the dealership. Picked it up today and when I got it home, noticed the engine coolant level was bone dry!!! I didn't see any in the reservoir! But engine didn't overheat on my drive home and didn't see or smell any coolant. I grabbed my bottle of coolant in the garage and was able to fill it up to the full level but only used maybe a quarter gallon. So obviously there was coolant in my system but either it leaked out again or the dealership decided to not top her off. Not sure which is which. I drove around some more today and the level stayed rock steady. I guess I'll have to keep my eye on it again and see if this repair job holds.

So an update to my cracked cylinder head. Got it fixed after 3 weeks at the dealership. Picked it up today and when I got it home, noticed the engine coolant level was bone dry!!! I didn't see any in the reservoir! But engine didn't overheat on my drive home and didn't see or smell any coolant. I grabbed my bottle of coolant in the garage and was able to fill it up to the full level but only used maybe a quarter gallon. So obviously there was coolant in my system but either it leaked out again or the dealership decided to not top her off. Not sure which is which. I drove around some more today and the level stayed rock steady. I guess I'll have to keep my eye on it again and see if this repair job holds.
Either there was still trapped air in the system that wasnt fully purged after the repair and it sucked up all the coolant from the resovoir after the drive cycle OR they just never filled the resovoir to begin with.

After all that, not to take another 15 min and "burp" the engine. Crazy. So on your repair order did they list the part number PYY1-10-SJ0C for the new head. My mazda guy says they have had about 4 revisions over the years. Curious which one is the latest and greatest

Back