2.2D Photos.

:
2022 2.5GT
As more and more questions start to pop up about the forthcoming diesel engined KF (2017 on) model, I thought you might like a look under the hood. With the cover on it looks very much like the 2.5G.

IMG_3861.jpg

.....and on the inside, the box is the same conventional six speed auto but note the absence of the Sport Mode.

IMG_3860.jpg

Lots of sound deadening but under there is a 16V twin cam with variable valve timing. The silver tube with the injector pipes is the common rail. It supplies very high pressure fuel to the four piezo injectors which are computer controlled and the pressure is so high that they atomise the fuel as it sprays into the cylinders.

IMG_3863.jpg

This is the high pressure pump that generates 25-30,000 psi. That's not a typo.

IMG_3865.jpg

Another filter for you to think about is the fuel filter that lives behind that truck battery. . It is electrically heated to stop the fuel waxing in winter but as about 80% of the high pressure fuel is returned to the tank, the whole system including the fuel in the tank gets quite hot. How often you change it depends very much on how good your diesel is. Many of these truck stops get water in the storage tank and if that gets pumped into your tank the filter will catch it. In that case, it can freeze or wax the diesel. I change mine every two years as a precaution. A common rail diesel will cause some bizarre problems so don't let it get to that.

IMG_3862.jpg

You can just about see the larger turbo behind all the shields and the smaller one is underneath.

IMG_3864.jpg

This lives down the front and is the EGR, (exhaust gas recirculation). Both it and the particulate filter are a source of trouble if the wrong engine oil or bad quality diesel are used.

IMG_3866.jpg

That's a great read! Thanks for sharing!

I couldn't even tell you where the turbos are on my M4. [emoji23]

wow, I did not know that this engine is a sequential turbo. Very impressed with this motor. Seems like Mazda and BMW are the only two pushing the tecnological envelope these days with the most impressive diesel engines.

So are we getting this engine in the states? If you could do a write-up reviewing this motor that would be great. Im curious to know how it sounds and the power delivery it being a sequential turbo design. I'm very impressed with it's powerband and 4500RPM peak torque for a diesel engine is nothing short of impressive. I think it was a really good move on Mazda's part to make this engine a 2.2L .

Hey it looks like it's got a dead pedal cover too.. (photo #2)... LOL....

It does but only because I made it. I bought a square foot of rubber mat off eBay then cut it to the contour of the dead pedal. I used gaffer tape to stick two stripe ov Velcro to the bottom and that is now stuck to the carpet. It will stop that outer edge wearing away with time?

IMG_3441.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

Last edited:
As more and more questions start to pop up about the forthcoming diesel engined KF (2017 on) model, I thought you might like a look under the hood. With the cover on it looks very much like the 2.5G.

IMG_3861.jpg

Very similar to 2.5G but with some differences including shape:

image.png

Thanks for the photos and information though!

It does but only because I made it. I bought a square foot of rubber mat off eBay then cut it to the contour of the dead pedal. I used gaffer tape to stick two stripe ov Velcro to the bottom and that is now stuck to the carpet. It will stop that outer edge wearing away with time?

IMG_3441.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

Very good job, I was unaware you made that; I thought it was factory, Outstanding Anchorman..!! I'm be making one next week...

My VW TDI looks similar. VW had a minor problem with the HPFP made by Bosch. For some reason some of the fuel pumps would come apart internally and scatter metal fragments throughout the entire fuel system. Everything had to be replaced including pumps, lines and injectors. The parts and labour bill at the dealer was typically $8,000 US give or take. Mazda has sold their 2.2 for some time. Any such problem with Mazda that you know of?

My VW TDI looks similar. VW had a minor problem with the HPFP made by Bosch. For some reason some of the fuel pumps would come apart internally and scatter metal fragments throughout the entire fuel system. Everything had to be replaced including pumps, lines and injectors. The parts and labour bill at the dealer was typically $8,000 US give or take. Mazda has sold their 2.2 for some time. Any such problem with Mazda that you know of?

I heard about that fuel pump issue. It wasn't uncommon here.

Some early diesels had turbo and cam problems but they've all been resolved now. The emission system wasn't easy to live with on early models as it tended to dilute the oil and that had knock on problems with warnings and alerts. It also made it very thirsty

I'm pleased to report that my 2017 model has no such problems.

Last edited:
I heard about that fuel pump issue. It wasn't uncommon here.

Some early diesels had turbo and cam problems but they've all been resolved now. The emission system wasn't easy to live with on early models as it tended to dilute the oil and that had knock on problems with warnings and alerts. It also made it very thirsty

I'm pleased to report that my 2017 model has no such problems.

If memory serves, some also had DPF issues

If memory serves, some also had DPF issues
Yeah, that's the emission side I was on about and that links in to the oil thread too. These engines take oil with a low ash content if any gets burned in the engine otherwise they just block up the particulate filter and the cat. Mazda will not pay one penny towards a claim where the wrong oil has been used. I've never seen low ash oil in the US so maybe it's dealer only until the market opens up. Maybe it is there and I've never noticed it but ours has a C3 rating to indicate low ash.

I know it's financially stupid, but the 2017 Diesel is really really tempting to trade into from the "but it's nice and I like it" standpoint!

Yeah, that's the emission side I was on about and that links in to the oil thread too. These engines take oil with a low ash content if any gets burned in the engine otherwise they just block up the particulate filter and the cat. Mazda will not pay one penny towards a claim where the wrong oil has been used. I've never seen low ash oil in the US so maybe it's dealer only until the market opens up. Maybe it is there and I've never noticed it but ours has a C3 rating to indicate low ash.

The importance of "low ash" oil cannot be overstated. Many TDI owners had their oil changed at the "quick lube" places who never ever heard about the correct oil. Others thought it was just a way for dealers to get more money from owners. I bought mine when it went on sale from a few dealers and Amazon.com also sells it. My VW oil (Mobil 1 507.0) was also certified for use in diesels made by BMW and Mercedes. This should be one of the first things to get organized after you pick up your Mazda diesel.

Back