[2018 CX-5] What’s this white plastic in my fuel tank? Prevents refueling at most gas stations

I’m not sure if this piece is supposed to be there or how it even got dislodged like that (don’t think that’s the correct orientation for whatever that is).

Refueling is a pain in the ass, only a few nozzles will work, most will stop because the white piece causes fuel back flow and causes it to shut off.

Can I safely push the white piece into the tank or try pulling it out? See pictures.

IMG_7110.jpeg
IMG_7113.jpeg

If you're under warranty take it to the dealer.
Are you the original owner?
If not it might be something to prevent gas from being siphoned out.

That's odd.

I'd be VERY tempted to get that thing outta there myself.

Out of warranty, not original owner, bought the car a month ago.

It's possible that the previous owner jammed that in there to prevent people from siphoning their fuel. Definitely doesn't look like its by design. You could try taking it to an independent shop for a second opinion, but if it's loose enough, I would try fishing it out with a grabber tool or a pick of some kind.

If it's an original part and came from lower down, its broken and probably can't be fixed from the outside. If it's meant to connect in that hole, you should be able to pull it up. If it's not tethered, and not broken, you should be able to get it back to where it is now.

I would try pulling up with moderate force and see if it comes up easily, and take it out. I wouldn't jam the gas nozzle in there for fear of pushing it in to where it is difficult to get out.

If it ruins your car, oops.

I'm pretty sure my 2018 doesn't have anything like that visible.

I just checked, nothing but smooth metal. I'd get some needle nose pliers or forceps and pull it out.

Last edited:
Just looked at our 2018...no plastic down the filler hole. But the back of the gas cap is made of white plastic. Is the backside of your gas cap intact?

Thanks guys, you just made me have to go out to check my gas cap, and it's raining.

My cap looks exactly like CX5Nut's cap.

Looking back at the OP's pics, it doesn't look like what's under the cap at all to me, but we can't see the entire piece.

Is the white plastic missing from your cap??
Never mind, that white part was not missing from the cap.

UPDATE: I fished out the white piece from the fuel filler neck, refueled without any issues (previously wouldn’t refuel easily).

Now the mystery is finding out what this piece is and why it was dislodged in there, I’m wondering if it’s part of anything inside the fuel tank. Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_7401.jpeg
    IMG_7401.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_7403.jpeg
    IMG_7403.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7409.jpeg
    IMG_7409.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 86
It's possible that the previous owner jammed that in there to prevent people from siphoning their fuel. Definitely doesn't look like its by design. You could try taking it to an independent shop for a second opinion, but if it's loose enough, I would try fishing it out with a grabber tool or a pick of some kind.
I am pretty sure this is a foreign object, whether placed there by the previous owner, their child, etc...

Back