Great mpg so far on 2023 CX-5 Turbo

So for those with the turbo, any truth that using premium improves MPG?
on my 23 I get the same mpg ie 28-31mpg on the highway no matter if I am using 91 octane (generally the highest I can get here) or 87. I have run many tanks of both and when I run 91 I make sure the prior tank is near the E mark so as not to dilute it. If I am in an area where I can really use the turbo I can feel a difference in power but not in mpg. I live in Montana where speed limits are high and enforcement is low so I like use the turbo and sport mode. I just returned from a 500 mile trip where I was rarely under 80mph. my actual mpg is always slightly better than the computer shows. I always fill up the same way so I am confident in my mpg as i check every fill up.

Last edited:
So for those with the turbo, any truth that using premium improves MPG?
No difference for me. 2000 miles on 93 vs 2000 miles on 87 and tank averages were 25-26 mpg regardless of octane. US driver, majority of gas was Marathon, 10% ethanol content same gas station.

With a 2 liter, natural aspirated manual, 165 hp, mild hybrid with cylinder deactivation CX-5 (2023) engine and 50% highway / 50% urban driving I have an average of 37 mpg (6,3 liter/100 km) gasoline consumption.

Attachments

• Mileage-900x600.jpg
    Mileage-900x600.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 26
Don't fill it past the shutoff. It can damage something. There was a bunch of threads awhile back about it. When it clicks and shuts off don't add anymore.
I almost always fill it past the shutoff and never had an issue. I try to squeeze in every drop possible. 🤣

With a 2 liter, natural aspirated manual, 165 hp, mild hybrid with cylinder deactivation CX-5 (2023) engine and 50% highway / 50% urban driving I have an average of 37 mpg (6,3 liter/100 km) gasoline consumption.
Hybrid CX-5? Are you from the future?

Anyway, though I see 30mpg on some trips, my tank average is 22 this time. Must be the winter gas partly to blame.

Hybrid CX-5? Are you from the future?
In Europe, Mazda has been selling CX-5 models with mild hybrid since 2023.
In addition to being slightly more economical, it also makes the i-Stop (start-stop system) very smooth.

on my 23 I get the same mpg ie 28-31mpg on the highway no matter if I am using 91 octane (generally the highest I can get here) or 87. I have run many tanks of both and when I run 91 I make sure the prior tank is near the E mark so as not to dilute it. If I am in an area where I can really use the turbo I can feel a difference in power but not in mpg. I live in Montana where speed limits are high and enforcement is low so I like use the turbo and sport mode. I just returned from a 500 mile trip where I was rarely under 80mph. my actual mpg is always slightly better than the computer shows. I always fill up the same way so I am confident in my mpg as i check every fill up.
I've noticed a couple of times when I manually computed my MPG it was higher than the dash gauge indicated. I got 36mpg on one leg of my recent 1200 mile trip (2.0NA 6MT)but not as good on the return. Probably wind. I get noticably better MPG with no ethanol gas, no matter what the octane.

Back