1st stereo install

eszoom

eszoom
:
blk protege es
ok, i'm gonna buy a basic stereo from best buy cause i got a gift cert. my sons gonna do the install. (the young got more guts than knowledge)
what kind of wireing kit do i have to buy? want to keep it simple, plug and play. do i have to buy the dash kit, i have the msp pocket going in too. any other things i need to know? any tips appreciated. thanks, rod

the wiring all depends on what amp you have.
once you have that information, then you can decide what size wire.

Its all really simple, just hard to grasp at first..

And what do you mean by basic stereo system?
subs,deck,speakers??
-Matt

basic deck

i'm just talking a cd/mp3 player, w/ stock speakers. no exotics. i've had my stereo stolen when i was in my teen yrs. also my sons expensive stereo, poof! kinda want to know about idiot proof harness, is there such a thing? i figure it's 2008 so just snap in and done, son. i would'nt even buy one ,but my cd player skips and i got a gift certificate. thanks for response

Yea no problem.
Yea since its a 2008 they should make a harness for the car.
but you would still have to connect the wires from the 2nd harness to the stereo harness.

soldering then heat shrinking would be the best way. other then that, it should all be "plug n play"

What model do you have?

Here's a little paint I did real quick to show what I'm talking about. good luck with the install
harness.jpg

Yea no problem.
Yea since its a 2008 they should make a harness for the car.
but you would still have to connect the wires from the 2nd harness to the stereo harness.

soldering then heat shrinking would be the best way. other then that, it should all be "plug n play"

What model do you have?

Here's a little paint I did real quick to show what I'm talking about. good luck with the install
harness.jpg

i have a 01 protege es, and gonna get a pioneer unit. which one not sure yet. i was trying to get away from matching wires and soldering. thanks empire for all the info. rod

Yea no problem..The wires Should be the same color.
Ive noticed out of all the ones Ive used that a lot of it is the same color wires.
There might be one or two wires that aren't the same
(btw im selling a Sony deck if your interested.check my fs thread)

Glad I could be of some assistance

thanks, empire/matt, the wires wern't that bad. i was paranoid for nothing. in fact the hardest part was taking out the old stereo w/ the ghetto clothes hanger trick. the face broke off then the main unit came off. looks good w/ the msp pocket.

Back