Tips on Buying a CPO Mazda or any cpo vehicle

Jack Rabbit

Banned
:
18 Mazda CX5 AW
The following are tips for anyone buying a CPO Mazda or other vehicle:

1.) Get the paperwork for all work done by the dealership to sell the vehicle.
2.) Check the Carfax for accidents and maintenance.
3.) Have them put new brake pads on the vehicle.
4.) Have them put new tires on vehicle.*
5.) Have them put new air filter, cabin filter, wiper blades, etc. on.
6.) Have them change oil and filter.
7.) Have them update all control modules to include the TCM, PCM, and connect modules.
8.) Buy a CPO which is still under the original warranty plus gets the CPO warranty. If the original warranty has expired, your CPO warranty won't extend as long.
9.) Have them address and repair any recalls.
10.) Try to have them address any TSB. May be hard to do.
11.) For future additions.

The dealer may try to do the minimum prep work to sell the vehicle. For what used car prices are now, you should try to get maximum maintenence done before purchase.

* Some of these are difficult in a hot market. But the market has slowed so at least try to get some of these completed. For example, I got stuck in a hot market and even though the tires were just above legal, they wouldn't change them out for new ones. In a slow market I was able to request they drop a few hundred dollars off price at which point they put new tires on. cheaper for them to put new tires on than drop the price.

Last edited:
Same here on the tires, at 22k miles they wouldn’t change them even thought they were on the lower side. I’m not sure I’d want the dealer tires anyway, the toyos they put on are crap.

Recalls by law I believe have to be addressed to be cpo.

Pads and rotors they won’t do unless needed. most cars shouldn’t need them until at least 40k miles.

If the car is in the 3-4 year range of age, I’d ask for a new battery.

but, like you said, can’t hurt to push on these items.

it’s tough, or it was. I bought a cpo 2018 last October and a 2019 cpo back in February and i had little negotiating power. Inventories weren’t great and cars were moving off the lot quickly…terrible time to buy a car. I sold my 2016 exl pilot and bought the 2019 cx5 touring straight up so that was good. The 2018 sport with 18k miles was for my son, who had just turned 17…used car market at that time was really tight. Best I could do was get a bit off their asking price.

I bought many CPO’s in my life and they rarely did an inspection. I bought CPO CX-5 and the tricks they played are a joke. They barely do anything to “inspect.”

During the test drive, drive the car hard on the gas and brakes. Also, get it over 50mph to make sure no weird noise or issues with alignment/suspension or brakes.”

My recommendation for negotiation is to ask for things if they won’t budge on the price. At least 4 things (oil change for life, all weather mats, window visors, tires/brakes). The 4th one is a throw away to let the dealer feel like you’re not going to get everything you asked for.
*Make sure to have it in writing into the final paperwork you sign so they can’t back out later and say the “don’t remember.”

Last edited:
Back