'18 CX-9 and Fortin Remote Car Starter...Success!

No no, the EVO-MAZT1 is a brand new product, from what it sounds like it is essentially an EVO-ONE with a built-in T-harness.

https://fortin.ca/en/products/evo-rs/evo-mazt1/

I have not tried it myself and only basing this on internet research. But from what I gather the EVO-MAZT1 is a EVO-ALL and a THAR-MAZ1 T-harness conveniently packaged into one item. The product page doesn't show which harness is included, but when you go to the technical support troubleshooting guide tab, you see when going through the steps that the installations instructions are for the EVO-ALL with the EVO-MAZ1. https://cdn02.fortin.ca/en/download/63031/63031.pdf

The EVO-MAZ1 harness doesn't seem as simple as the plug-in as the THAR-ONE-MAZ3. According to the installation instructions, it is asking to connect individual wires into the fuse box, into the Start-Stop Unit and into the lock-unlock input external controls. I have made red arrows to show where on the attached photo.
MAZ T1 snapshot.JPG
The programmation instructions also seems more complicated, and the last page of the instructions says that the engine will shutdown after the driver door is open.

My opinion: I think it will work and may be worth saving the money if skilled enough to do the splicing, but it wouldn't be quite as plug and play as the EVO-One set-up recommended in this post.

Last edited:
Ahh my mistake then, I thought it was the EVO-ONE + T-harness. If that's the case, then EVO-ONE is the better option specially if you lose the takeover function.

Hello everyone, I just purchased a 2019 CX-5 Signature. Thanks to this page, I just installed the EVO ONEand THAR-ONE-MAZ3 harness. I just wanted to mention for anyone else that I followed the directions on this page which were great and updated the module first. However I could not get the module to sync with the car, the lights never stopped flashing. I contacted Fortin and they had me put the 71.44 firmware onto the EVO ONE which I did and it worked like a charm.

When I plugged the module back in, I held the button until it went blue, then released and connected the other three cables. When i hit the ignition, the lights all came on in order and after a few minutes ended with just yellow and red. I unplugged and reconnected the module to the updater and did the decryptor sequence. Works like a charm.

Also wanted to highlight what a few others mentioned. I did not like the two horn honks when i hit the lock button three times, so i plugged the module back into the updater and on the remote starter tab I changed it to lock/unlock/lock sequence, saved it and plugged it back into the car. Now no horn honks when i start the car.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to post the instructions and walk throughs, it is a great help!

Anyone know if there is a distance limit in which the remote starter will not work? I have had some instances where I am probably 40-50 feet away, hit the remote start command on my key fob, my lights flash like it's gonna start then... nothing. works like a charm when i'm within 20 feet, however.

Can someone post some updated links to where we can buy the evo-one, t-harness, and flash link updater? I want to make sure I'm buying the correct items. Because I see some evo-ones for $199 but others for under $100. Do some come with a t-harness? Thanks.

I was following the instructions posted on here exactly and everything was running smoothly, and then right after I had the evo-one stop when there*s only one blue light, it then asks me to press the ignition without hitting the brake. Here*s the problem. Nothing happened. I discovered that as soon as I disconnected the clips from the steering column and into the t-Harness, and then re connected the battery the car said *keyless entry malfunction* and the fob stopped working. I started over and plugged the clips back into the steering column and the car worked again, but then I tried to plug it into the t harness again and the car said *keyless entry malfunction* again. I called Fortin and they said the clips from the steering column aren*t plugged all the way into the t-harness. So I tried again and I even used pliers to push down as hard as I could. It still said the same error. I called back and he thinks I have a bad t-harness even though I got it from the same Amazon one as everyone else. I guess I*ll order another and try again. Did anyone else have this problem?

Actually, I think I might have figured out the problem. In the instructions posted here step #4 is incomplete. It only says to unclip the clip from the steering column and clip it into the t-harness, it doesn*t say you need to clip the other 2 clips that are attached to the t-harness back into the steering column. Is this what you need to do? So all the Tharness clips are used?

Thanks to eplur, I installed it in my new 2019 CX-5 Signature. Yes I had some trouble, but knowing what I know now, it would have saved me hours. I used eplur's steps entirely without any other instructions. If you do the same, please note the highlighted notes I added to the below quote/steps.

Thanks guys did mine too. I ordered all 3 items; THarness, Evo One, and the Updater tool from Amazon as Crutchfield was out. As others have mentioned, here*s the outline as well. Once you do it, it is actually really easy. Their instructions are crap.

1. Download the app. You need Windows. (The recent Windows 10 update didn*t detect the device so I had to go back to previous version)
2. Start the app. You will have to create a fortin account, and verify your email address
3. Select the vehicle models etc
4. Connect the updater and EvoOne with the wires that come with the Updater.
5. App will detect that it is connected.
6. Click on Bypass tab, update firmware if it asks you to.
7. Click on Remote Starter tab, update if it asks you to.
8. Confirm those 3 settings as mentioned (set it if not already set)
a. Bypass tab: C1, D2 on (Save if you had to change)
b. Remote Starter tab, option 38 set to 38.2 (Save if you had to change) Do 38.5 I believe if you don't want the annoying beeps.

Install T Harness (All wires are color coded and they fit only in the right places, you will only use the ones with adapters that plugin)
1. disconnect the *ve battery power. Make sure the terminal does not touch metal
2. As shown in the instructions using a Philip screw driver remove the bottom two screws.
3. Pop open the top cover section. There are no more screws you need to unscrew. The top and bottom covers are then snapped together. So, you will need some little squeezing and pulling pushing to dislodge them apart. Once the top come loose, you just leave it there, do not try to pull it all the way out. Now the bottom section you pull it out a little towards the driver seat and out. There is a little metal thing where the bottom section slides out of.
4. Now on the bottom as shown on the instruction, there are two plugs you need to unplug. Look at the one that looks like those plugs on the Tharness to figure out where to squeeze to pull them out. Remove those two from and plug them into the Tharness. They will only fit in the right adapter in the THarness. No guessing work here. Not only do you plug the Mazda (steering column) plugs into the T-Harness, you also then have to plug the 2 remaining plugs from the t-harness into the steering column.
5. Connect the *ve terminal back
6. cut the yellow loop wire on the Evo one
7. Now hold the only button on the EvoOne, then plug the power from the THarness which is the biggest plug in the EvoOne. The 3 lights will start flashing one at a time different color. Let go of the button only when there is only 1 blue light.
8. Now plug the other wires from the Tharness to the EvoOne; one next to the power you just plugged and other two on the other side, they are color coordinated.
9. Now push the ignition button twice without pushing on the brake pedal. Car will not start but the ignition will be on
10. The evo will flash bunch of lights. Wait until you get blue flashing light, then turn off the ignition.
11. Unplug your evoone

Decryptor
1. Connect your evoone via the updater back again to your app. Check to see if the Bypass C1 & D2 items are back to default. Might have to turn them on again.
2. Go to Decrypter tab (on the left) and click on *Send Data*.
3. It will do buncha things decrypting blah blah.
4. Once done, take the EvoOne back to the car and plug everything back in.
5. Test the remote starter by pushing the lock button on your key fob 3 times.

You*re done. Put everything back together. I used the tie that came with the THarness to tie the loose wires together and used a zip tie to hold the EvoOne to some fat cable on the right. I just found a place for the Evo-One to snuggle up against. No ties. Doesn't look like it'll move around.

As someone mentioned, my auto down-up windows didn*t work. I had to reset it as mentioned somewhere here by rolling all the way down, holding it there for a sec or two and rolling it all the way up and holding it up for sec or two. Had to do this to all 4 windows.

Good luck guys.

Hi,

New to this thread but interested in purchasing and installing the Evo-one into my 2019 CX-9 Touring. Reading threads above, I saw "You need Windows." Is this true, can I not do this with my MacBook pro? Any information I can get is helpful. Thanks.

K

I have completed the install on a mac. The fortin software is windows only but here is how to do it on your macbook for free using an application to run windows 10 in a window on your mac. It has a free trial period of 14 days so make sure to wait until you are ready to complete the install. I used parallels desktop, there are other options (virtual box, etc) but this one I found was the most easy and also didn't have any issues accessing my usb port on my iMac to recognize the flash updater tools.

1. Download and install parallels desktop. https://www.parallels.com
2. Activate your 14 days trial period, if you like it you can buy a registration number later.
3. Parallels will ask if you want to install windows 10. Unless you already own a copy of windows, go ahead and select that option. Windows 10 is free to download, install and use for a certain period of time (as opposed to earlier version of windows). Parallels will download and install windows automatically.
4. You can now launch parallels to run windows on you mac in a separate window. Use windows to download and install the Fortin software and run the installation as per the fortin instructions.

It works like a charm, that is exactly on I did my install a month ago. Good luck !

Installation could not be simpler.

Thanks guys did mine too. I ordered all 3 items; THarness, Evo One, and the Updater tool from Amazon as Crutchfield was out. As others have mentioned, here*s the outline as well. Once you do it, it is actually really easy. Their instructions are crap.

1. Download the app. You need Windows. (The recent Windows 10 update didn*t detect the device so I had to go back to previous version)
2. Start the app. You will have to create a fortin account, and verify your email address
3. Select the vehicle models etc
4. Connect the updater and EvoOne with the wires that come with the Updater.
5. App will detect that it is connected.
6. Click on Bypass tab, update firmware if it asks you to.
7. Click on Remote Starter tab, update if it asks you to.
8. Confirm those 3 settings as mentioned (set it if not already set)
a. Bypass tab: C1, D2 on (Save if you had to change)
b. Remote Starter tab, option 38 set to 38.2 (Save if you had to change)​

Install T Harness (All wires are color coded and they fit only in the right places, you will only use the ones with adapters that plugin)
1. disconnect the *ve battery power. Make sure the terminal does not touch metal
2. As shown in the instructions using a Philip screw driver remove the bottom two screws.
3. Pop open the top cover section. There are no more screws you need to unscrew. The top and bottom covers are then snapped together. So, you will need some little squeezing and pulling pushing to dislodge them apart. Once the top come loose, you just leave it there, do not try to pull it all the way out. Now the bottom section you pull it out a little towards the driver seat and out. There is a little metal thing where the bottom section slides out of.
4. Now on the bottom as shown on the instruction, there are two plugs you need to unplug. Look at the one that looks like those plugs on the Tharness to figure out where to squeeze to pull them out. Remove those two from and plug them into the Tharness. They will only fit in the right adapter in the THarness. No guessing work here.
5. Connect the *ve terminal back
6. cut the yellow loop wire on the Evo one
7. Now hold the only button on the EvoOne, then plug the power from the THarness which is the biggest plug in the EvoOne. The 3 lights will start flashing one at a time different color. Let go of the button only when there is only 1 blue light.
8. Now plug the other wires from the Tharness to the EvoOne; one next to the power you just plugged and other two on the other side, they are color coordinated.
9. Now push the ignition button twice without pushing on the brake pedal. Car will not start but the ignition will be on
10. The evo will flash bunch of lights. Wait until you get blue flashing light, then turn off the ignition.
11. Unplug your evoone

Decryptor
1. Connect your evoone via the updater back again to your app.
2. Go to Decrypter tab (on the left) and click on *Send Data*.
3. It will do buncha things decrypting blah blah.
4. Once done, take the EvoOne back to the car and plug everything back in.
5. Test the remote starter by pushing the lock button on your key fob 3 times.

You*re done. Put everything back together. I used the tie that came with the THarness to tie the loose wires together and used a zip tie to hold the EvoOne to some fat cable on the right.

As someone mentioned, my auto down-up windows didn*t work. I had to reset it as mentioned somewhere here by rolling all the way down, holding it there for a sec or two and rolling it all the way up and holding it up for sec or two. Had to do this to all 4 windows.

Good luck guys.

Followed the steps exactly as described. A couple things to consider which wasnt very obvious above are -

> In the FlashLink application, when you plug the EvoOne, all options on the BYPASS tab might be greyed out. The first ON OFF is a settings override toggle. Switch to OFF and then you can make changes to C1, D2 etc.
> To pry open the covers, try the right indicater toggle location, it easily creates a gap for you to slip a screwdriver in and twist to pop it open.
> My T Harness socket was backside front so it did not snap in with that audible click sound. Just ensure you push all the way in so there is no loose connection.
> When you plug the power cable and wait for the blue light, it wont really STOP on the blue light. It keeps cycling constanly. You just have to make sure you release the power button when it pauses at the Blue light for 2 sec. If you miss it not issue, just unplug and try again. Only if the EvoOne is solid blue when you release the power key you should proceed.
> Make sure you have internet when you use decryption. I took my laptop to the car and had to hotspot using my phone.

Everything took about 2 hours especially since I was working in -15 C and had a hard time grabing onto things as my hands had frozen!

PS: You will be kneeling on the floor outside the car so make sure you have a knee pad or something!

Last edited:
Thanks to all the great advice in this thread I too have successfully installed the EVO-ONE in my 2019 CX-9 GT. I re-used a Tele-Connect / Autolink cellular remote start device from my previous vehicle which also had a Fortin unit installed and can start my car from my cell phone. This is a feature that one you have you can't live without.

LFxJwP7

Antenna location

Thanks to all the great advice in this thread I too have successfully installed the EVO-ONE in my 2019 CX-9 GT. I re-used a Tele-Connect / Autolink cellular remote start device from my previous vehicle which also had a Fortin unit installed and can start my car from my cell phone. This is a feature that one you have you can't live without.

LFxJwP7

Can you describe where you mounted the cellular antenna and how you routed it.

thanks

Completed this today on a 2019 GTR, very easy to do, hardest part was finding a place to put the fortin unit and extra wires.

I also added a 2-way 1 button Fob, to use when at work during the winter, as my car is a few hundred feet away, and the Mazda fob would not reach.
I placed the antenna in the footwell area, outside the fuse door area, so its hidden as I was having a hard time removing the a-pillar cover, range has proven to still be good.

Great write up and input. I do have a question - why is it that everyone goes with the Evo One and not the Evo all? Getting ready to buy and dont really understand why people arent going for the cheaper one if they are only after remote start.

Great write up and input. I do have a question - why is it that everyone goes with the Evo One and not the Evo all? Getting ready to buy and dont really understand why people arent going for the cheaper one if they are only after remote start.

The Evo All works with a different harness that isnt as plug and play. It requires more splicing. It also does not allow take-over when installed with the t-harness which means the car will shut down when the drivers door is opened. It can be installed with the take over option but that needs to be wired in directly without the help of a t-harness (100% splicing).

Back