15.942 @ 87.456mph 3rd Gen 2.0L N/A

Rac3rX

As some of you may know Ive been on the hunt to break into the 15's. Over the last week Ive preppaired the car for tonights visit to the track. The track is still un-prepped, but I was able to get 16.0 when I was there already, so I was hoping to get into the 15's with all the work I did to the car (Click here for the thread on the preperations made).

Unfortunatly I was all by myself, so I couldnt get any Vids, but I got some pictures.

I almost thought tonight wasnt going to happen because all day the weather was irratic, sunny one minut pooring the next, then back to sun, & it even hailed for a bit.

When I got to the track the conditions were

Temp: 66.2 F
Wind: NW 20klm/h
Humidity: 64%

& It hadnt rained in a few hours. It could of been better, it could of been worse.

The track was good for a un-prepared track while the sun was out, but as soon as the sun went down the track got cold quick, and hook up was getting worse as the night progressed.

I ran a Bunch of races tonight, 7 in total.

I kept the tire pressure at 32PSI for the first run, then dropped it to 16PSI for the night. Stock tire pressure slowed me down by about .250 of a second, but due to more slip at the start, I got a high trap speed.

The Finish time was 16.232 @ 88.141mph.

First break into 15's

The second race, right after dropping the tire pressure to 16PSI, and doing a nice burn out. I BROKE INTO THE 15's, set my fastest time of the night and ever!!!!!

The Finish Time was 15.942 @ 87.465mph

159423gb.jpg

After that I pulled up to the fence to chill for a bit and watch some races. Here is where I was parked.

13eu2.jpg

While Chilling, I spotted noticed this car parked not to far from me.

dsc001767vz.jpg

I checked her out

dsc001775vy.jpg

And made sure the
dsc0017723ff.jpg
Was there also.

I went over to the owner and asked if he wanted to...

24xq.jpg

Vs
dsc001828ev.jpg

He was fine with it, and before running I looked inside the car

dsc001791th.jpg

I had to make sure the
shifter4gv.jpg
was a 5spd.

Then we headed out to race.

Mazda3 2.3L S-GT 16.851 @ 82.680mph

Protege 2.0L LX 15.963 @ 87.610mph

159632rb.png

Later on that night, a friend of the 2.3L Mazda3 who also had a Mazda 3, But it was the 2.0L also with a 5spd.

Say hello!

dsc001789yv.jpg

He wanted a race, I oblidged

Mazda3 2.0L 17.070 @ 85.463mph

Protege 2.0L 15.991 @ 86.729mph

159913mw.png

After that the sun was completly down and the track because more slippery, I pulled 3 16.0 times and called it a night.

Last edited:
you love PWNing Mazda3s :D I love how close the 2.0 vs 2.3 Mazda3 times are. 150hp vs. 158hp.. what's the point of the 2.3 haha

KanseiZM said:
you love PWNing Mazda3s :D I love how close the 2.0 vs 2.3 Mazda3 times are. 150hp vs. 158hp.. what's the point of the 2.3 haha

Yeah, I cant help it ;)

The times are pretty close, Im sure the 2.3 is good for a few more tenths, R&T got 16.4 out of her. I also think the 2.0 is good for .2XX faster.

My car is faster then STOCK Mazda3's, and suprisingly it didnt take as many mods as I would of thought, given the Hp difference at stock.

Most people say the gains from the mods I put in are small or even questionable, I think the times speak for themselvs

must be nice to race with 66 degree weather

the best we get down here is 70 on a freezing night, most of the time is 80+

JCell said:
must be nice to race with 66 degree weather

the best we get down here is 70 on a freezing night, most of the time is 80+

Yeah the temp is an screwy thing at a un-prepared track.

The hotter it is the better the track is, as far as grip, BUT the diff in heat also effects the hp of the car and its performance.

66 at a preped track would be a great race night. I would pull a mid 15 no doubt.

Last edited:
KoRn said:
Those are some super bad drivers then. Because a 5 speed 2.3l with intake exhaust headers and a really GOOD driver would rip you a new one. Just look at some of these times stock.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=3518.0

And look at the thread above that one. People are getting lower times than you STOCK. If you cant find it. Here it is.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

First off in your 1st links you show me stock 3's getting mid low 16's.

Ill also have to ask if you know the difference between a Prepped track and a un-prepped track?

My Times come from an un-prepped track.

Also notice how there are only 3 confirmed times, and dont forget I WAS AT a un-preped track, knock off a few tenths from my time if I bring her to a prepped track.

In FACT it shows somebody posting a 15.8 stock, then all the other 3 owners calling BS (As I would have) him failing to be able to produce a slip (Or go back and prove he could by getting another time close to his dial in. As I ran I was able to pull off 3 15.9 second runs and have slips for them all. There is one slip, but it looks Fishy, there is a vid posted of the run, but it cuts off before we can see the time boards to match any of the slip readings, so I will call BS on that one. I find it hard to beleve they would stop filming right before the time boards come up, but we watched them sitting at the fine for 10 seconds for no reason. Im not the only one questioning it, as others are finding the slip info to look off. To me it looks like the time from a Civic V-tec, not a Mazda 3 (Looking at 1/8 time and speed vs the 1/4 time and speed of other 3's). REGUARDLESS, That car is NOT stock, and later on in the thread you can figure that out. Well just look at it in the Vid, its obviously lowered right off the Bat.

AHAHAH, this is great. Go cry me a river because your looking at my ass while I cross the finish ahead of you. Its always the Driver, yeah I beleve he could of went a half a sec faster but SO WHAT it still wouldnt be enough to beat me.

I state VERY clear That They were STOCK 3's No s*** one with a bunch of mods should beat me (Well, they will have to do better then a 15.9 so some skillz will be needed non the less, on a preped track, arround 15.6) 130 Vs 160 its not rocket science.

As I am now I pull away from Stock 3's, thats it, thats all.

Last edited:
I dont see how a modded protege vs a stock 3 is anything to boast about? It's a 3 not a RX-8. Good work on finding your way into the 15's

MazdaAxela said:
I dont see how a modded protege vs a stock 3 is anything to boast about? It's a 3 not a RX-8. Good work on finding your way into the 15's

I feel good about it, Im not that modded and still have less hp then the 3's, and even being a tad lighter, they still have a better power to weight ratio..

Quite honestly I love off the 2.3L engine, and Most likely a 3 will be My next car, if I dont move up a class to the MS6)

Dont let my contentness with beating 3's get to you, Im just getting kicks out of my Protege.

MazdaAxela said:

Why not? A stock pro is what 100 whp to the stock 3 with 130-140 whp stock. Now put just a few bolt on mods and the pro is running with and whipping the 3! That's pretty good IMO. And to run a 15sec 1/4 mile in a car that wasn't meant to do 16s is pretty good driving. I got a 16.3 with (at the time I didn't know) broken motor mounts.

Good work man, dont listen to the haters!

Hughes412 said:
Why not? A stock pro is what 100 whp to the stock 3 with 130-140 whp stock. Now put just a few bolt on mods and the pro is running with and whipping the 3! That's pretty good IMO. And to run a 15sec 1/4 mile in a car that wasn't meant to do 16s is pretty good driving. I got a 16.3 with (at the time I didn't know) broken motor mounts.

Thanks!!!!

How could you not love the look on there faces afterwards, its priceless.

Its kinda a mix between, Pissed, suprised, constipated and disbelefe. I get the "Pull over & Pop the hood" after a race quite often, lmao! Ohh, Thats a ZX4 Im running in my Sig.

Last edited:
I've thought about going back to the track. I know I can hit 15s but I don't want to brake anything. I want to buy a house and the last thing I need it to have to fix something.

RR-racing incerts make the trip down the track Smooth and Sweet, compared to "Jerk the s*** out of the Dash, shifter, motor, and God knows what else"

And only $55 shipped.

I got them for the front and read, and I now want the sides done (Gimme a few weeks)

Hughes412 said:

Yeah I read that guy's comment and thought it was funny until I saw he drove one of those bloated thingys.

There's one thing when we joke around about our 100whp wonders but when someone driving an Americanized Protege replacement does the same it's not all that funny. (ughdance) (ughdance)

Rac3rX said:
Im enjoying what I got. Its no Enzo, but I have fun with her.

Yeah it's a fun little car. Who cares about having a little more power when you can get 36.5MPG (way over the EPA estimated gas mileage figures) with lots of mods :)

the drivers of the 3 don't know how to drive =\
I got 16.1 with my 2.0 3i with just an exhaust.

Back