12v outlet Additions to the back seat. (for the kids)

KMac

Zoomin' since 2003
:
Mazda Protege5, 02
So I decided I had enough of trying to keep the kids games, iPhones and iPods etc, etc. So I added two power outlets to the perfect spot. The popout for the aka ashtray, cup holder or what ever Mazda wanted for this location. I bought these two outlets in the RV section at Walmart.

Finished product, notice they are at the bottom of the pop out. You can not put them anywhere else other than this because of the storage compartment is in the way.
aba9d0e1.jpg

Two for 2 kids. No arguments over who gets to charge.
b9fe64ca.jpg

Dual wiring from a 8awg feeder from the battery. I wired it direct to the battery with a 15amp fuse.
ce19d13a.jpg

Power wires with the ground wires which are grounded with the bolts to the frame under the center console. Sorry for the crappy picture.
3425bd3f.jpg

Nice mod...I was wondering what to do with that space, but I don't have any kids...so still wondering.

Only other thing would be JDM cupholder thingy that goes in that area. Nice mod! I don't has the kid issue or many backseat passengers that'd need this but others may. Nice job, looks like in could be factory....winner!

I had the interior apart so I thought I would just see what I could do. It was very, very easy.

Nice. I think I'm going to do this, and maybe also a "courtesy light" installed in that panel too. I want USB power, but it's easiest just to install the 12v outlets and get the small, flush-mount USB adapters.

Killer job! I want to do this but I wanted to know how u routed the wires through the center consol but mainly how you routed them through the dash into the engine bay. Did u have to remove anything major to route the wires?

I routed the wires through the console then up around the steering column and fished through the rubber gromet that is there for other electrical wires.

Couple of questions (because I'm gonna do this eventually):

1. Why didn't you just splice into the cigarette lighter socket that's already there? and...
2. You wired these direct to the battery? What's the risk that a backseat pax leaves an ipad on and plugged in, and kills your battery overnight?
I know they won't use a ton of power, but a little bit over a long period of time will still draw down your batt. I guess you just gotta watch out for it huh?

Edit: I've actually considered using a small (like 75-watt) dc inverter and putting regular plugs (like in a house) into that spot.
But I'm guessing the storage pocket doesn't leave enough space for it.

Last edited:
Out of all the Mods I have done to my P5 this has been the most used by everyone.

Couple of questions (because I'm gonna do this eventually):

1. Why didn't you just splice into the cigarette lighter socket that's already there? and...
2. You wired these direct to the battery? What's the risk that a backseat pax leaves an ipad on and plugged in, and kills your battery overnight?
I know they won't use a ton of power, but a little bit over a long period of time will still draw down your batt. I guess you just gotta watch out for it huh?

Edit: I've actually considered using a small (like 75-watt) dc inverter and putting regular plugs (like in a house) into that spot.
But I'm guessing the storage pocket doesn't leave enough space for it.

I didn't splice into the Cig lighter because I wanted it to be hot all the time. iPods and iPhones really don't draw that much from it.
I do use a DC inverter for charging the ipad because any of the 12v plugin style just get too hot when charging the 4th get iPad. This one we absolutely unplug when we leave the car because it continues to draw power.
I also have a higher CCA battery. I believe 750 is what I installed.

Excellent!

On the JDM it is an ashtray (IIRC).

I used that panel to hide my fuses for the audio system - it just pops out ;)

Back