10 psi DD?!?!

needmspspeed

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
alright so as the title says im curious if anyone has and how long they succeeded at running 10 psi on the stock turbo and stock motor?
I am only gonna do this with the following mods
turbolife fmic
aem cai (no bov i want to turkey until however long i decide enough is enough)
3" pope downpipe
vibrant exhaust from the dp back
505 intake manifold
haltech standalone (hopefully depends on money)

really would not like to throw a rod, lol who would? but id like to hit the 210 to 225 whp mark which i think is relatively possible

im running 15psi on a gt28rs for my DD, but i also have a built motor

if you dont want to throw a rod i would leave your boost alone

well i probably wont leave the boost alone, some of these motors are bulletproof others arent. ive known of ppl running 14 psi for a year than their motor deciding to give. now having said that i am not going to ever be one of those people to run 14 psi on stock internals. i will go forged one day but that is not gonna be for a while. any other opinions would be nice.

With full bolt on's and a good tune with the Haltech, many would consider 10psi to be acceptable. Personally I would probably keep it at 9 to be safe. With the Haltech and 505 manifold I am sure you will reach your goal. Also be sure to get 1 step colder heat range plugs.

With full bolt on's and a good tune with the Haltech, many would consider 10psi to be acceptable. Personally I would probably keep it at 9 to be safe. With the Haltech and 505 manifold I am sure you will reach your goal. Also be sure to get 1 step colder heat range plugs.

I feel like i am gonna have a lot of bolt ons, turbo manifold will stay stock until i stumble across 650 for a steedspeed or a nice used one. i am sort of a newb to these cars have only owned my since late september, that being said i have studied and studied this things. from what i have read 10 psi is the max no matter how many bolt ons or what tune on a stock motor just to be safe. i want a nice mix of good power and reliablity. i really would like to run 10 psi and feel sort of comfortable im not gonna be in the pedal all day long either (well ill try lol) if most people reply to this advising me not to than i may run 9 or 9.5 with all these mods, that i feel should be reasonably safe for a while

speaking for myself i would not go over 9 psi. and the prerequisites for that would be full bolt ons and a standalone with a dam good tune from sam. even then im still iffy about pushing higher boost levels.

speaking for myself i would not go over 9 psi. and the prerequisites for that would be full bolt ons and a standalone with a dam good tune from sam. even then im still iffy about pushing higher boost levels.

i am iffy myself that is why im trying to get opions from everyone, i know ppl have kept below 10 and i know ppl have ran above 10. sam said i could run 10 psi with the haltech standalone and all the bolt ons i have listed plus bigger injectors

I've been running 9.5-10 PSI for around four years now. Mods include:

Perrin FMIC
GHL TBE
SS AFC v.2
Protege Garage IM (port and polished)
Greddy EBC (meticulously tuned to get proper boost)

I actually don't boost a lot while driving, but when I do it pulls strong to redline and hasn't given me any headaches (knock on wood). However, I am also a very cautious driver when it comes to the boost on my car. I know how fragile these motors are.

12 On a daily is pretty safe if you can tune well and you have all the right precautions. Of course my cars still running on stock internals and I run more than that. A lot of it it depends on supporting mods though, I have a very unique setup.

I've been running 9.5-10 PSI for around four years now. Mods include:

Perrin FMIC
GHL TBE
SS AFC v.2
Protege Garage IM (port and polished)
Greddy EBC (meticulously tuned to get proper boost)

I actually don't boost a lot while driving, but when I do it pulls strong to redline and hasn't given me any headaches (knock on wood). However, I am also a very cautious driver when it comes to the boost on my car. I know how fragile these motors are.

damn you!!! when i first got this car i wanted the ghl set up lol but its ok got the pope downpipe and the vibrant. im gonna have the same type of mods with the 505 IM and unichip along bigger injectors possibly

12 On a daily is pretty safe if you can tune well and you have all the right precautions. Of course my cars still running on stock internals and I run more than that. A lot of it it depends on supporting mods though, I have a very unique setup.

your telling me you run more than 12 psi on your DD. wtf man lol my brother n law (forcefed) ran 14 psi on his when it first came out and i couldnt believe it. wanna share your setup.......?

Search my name you'll find it. I've also been around that long. I feel as though I am one of the few that have put every single one of my 61k miles on.

Last edited:
hmm i saw that you were runnin 14 to 15 psi with a lot of bolt ons. btw did you ever reach your goal of 300 on stock internals?

Latest posts

Back