1.6l-2.0l swap questios

Protege-Fiend

:
2002 2.0L white Mazda Protege
So guys im looking for some advice, pointers, ect. any way straight to my point, im about to take my 2001 mazda protege 1.6l and swap my wrecked 2002 2.0l into it and then cut my roof with the sun roof out and weld that roof onto the 1.6l body so i practically have the same care again! :) many may find this stupid but im open to many suggestions and critasizm. i geuss to really simplify it all i want is the "blown 1.6l" out and the low milage 2.0l in i know im going to need the engine wiring harness and the dash harness, but is there honestly any thing else i will need any one who has done this b4 please pm me or just comment and let me know whats good! thank you all for your time and consideration. oh by the way im going to be doing this all on my own i will be renting an engine hoist because i do not have one so an estimate on how long it would take a guy who is "over averagely auto inclined" that would also be super helpful too :)

Just swap everything, motor, trans, mounts, harness, Ecu, axles. I will suggest leaving the sunroof install to a pro as they can develop leaks easily. How ever, it may be possible to swap the roof cap and headliners but I'm not sure how with the roof cap, something for you to look into

tweety2300 have you ever done this swap b4? and when i pull my old motor can i just hack away at all the old hoses and electrical harnesses?

No but I've done swaps on Hondas, they're pretty generic. Unbolt and remove and replace with new motor

Don't hack away the harness and lines just incase you need them. Although I would recommend replacing all of them.just unplug everything and if they're both manual use the 2.0's trans. Pretty sure the 1.6 still got the fseries while 2.0 got the g series which is better

well they are automatics and so im going to have to take the 2.0l trans with the motor, so am i going to need the engine harness, and the dash harness from the 2.0l and transplant them in the 1.6l body?

well ive done a lot of reading and a few things ive seen said i need to swap out the dash harness, and the climate control stuff. so im not to sure whats gatta give but due to the fact that its a 1.6l and its a 2001, and im transplanting a 2002 2.0l engine in it that may have something to do with me changing those things out. any one out there have any conformations on my theory's?

tweety, when you did your civic engine swap was it a 1.6l to a 2.0l and i so you didnt have to change the dash harness?

Civics are simple to swap out as you can get the adapter harness and mounts and axles for cheap.

Considering you have both cars there you can just easily swap everything you need over

i just need to find that one person who knows exactly what is going to need to be taken from my parts car into the other

I already told you. Motor, trans, engine harness, Ecu, motor mounts, axles. Pretty sure dash harness is the same, I think the only difference is some of the 1.6's didn't get a tach but it would just have a wire not hooked up to anything. Engine harness might be the same as well

well there is only one way to find out and thats get off my lazy ass and attempt this s***, I'm wondering should i do a build thread or a how-to

You won't have to change the dash harness or any of the HVAC. Some of the 1.6L came with tachs while others didn't. Everything within the cabin will remain the same. You shouldn't haveto swap the axles unless the 2.0L axles are stronger than the 1.6L. If the 2.0L donor car has 4 wheel disc brakes you can swap those onto your 1.6L though you will have to then source 5 lug wheels.

In the link below the owner is swapping in a 2.0L into their 99/00 Protege. Since the Protege is a 99/00 they will have to swap out the dash harness and HVAC. Since you have a 2001 you don't have that problem. You will have to have to swap out your engine harness and ECU though since the 2.0L uses other sensors that are not necessary in the 1.6L

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...uto-to-2002-2.0-5-speed&highlight=1.6l mounts

You won't have to change the dash harness or any of the HVAC. Some of the 1.6L came with tachs while others didn't. Everything within the cabin will remain the same. You shouldn't haveto swap the axles unless the 2.0L axles are stronger than the 1.6L. If the 2.0L donor car has 4 wheel disc brakes you can swap those onto your 1.6L though you will have to then source 5 lug wheels.

In the link below the owner is swapping in a 2.0L into their 99/00 Protege. Since the Protege is a 99/00 they will have to swap out the dash harness and HVAC. Since you have a 2001 you don't have that problem. You will have to have to swap out your engine harness and ECU though since the 2.0L uses other sensors that are not necessary in the 1.6L

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...uto-to-2002-2.0-5-speed&highlight=1.6l mounts

1.8s came with 4 wheel discs and 4 stud so no need for 5 stud.

Unsure about loom differences, but the brake master cylinder will need to be swapped as well. Info here:
http://protegefaq.net/mods_brakes.html#drumtodisc

1.8s came with 4 wheel discs and 4 stud so no need for 5 stud.

Unsure about loom differences, but the brake master cylinder will need to be swapped as well. Info here:
http://protegefaq.net/mods_brakes.html#drumtodisc

You are correct. The 1.8L came with 4 wheel discs, however he's got a 2001 1.6L and those all came with drums in the back.

From the Protege FAQ,

3rd generation owners will break down as follows:
4 lug cars:

All US version 4 lug cars have front discs and rear drums. Swapping to
rear discs is not impossible, but quite difficult due to parts
availability.

You are also correct on the brake master cylinder when swapping over to a 5 lug. I forgot about that one.

if you going threw all the trouble of a swap for roughly the same cost you could do a v6 KL swap from the MX6/626/Probe

not sure if those engines are available to you though.

There have been a few guys that have done the swap and ya its a little more involved then a 2.0 swap but no all that much more.

Just food for thought before you decide to go with the 2.0 swap

If my 1.6L ever grenaded that's definitely one of the swaps that I would really consider. I'd probably run it with ITBs and nitrous.

I'm driving a 1.6L ZM-DE. I've converted from drum to disc brakes & still using 4-lugs.

The 4 lug discs are available overseas but not to us in the US. I think you can get them from the Ford Laser but I'm not certain.

Back