'08 - New Transfer Case - Any TSB's out there?

Hi Everyone,

Have an 08, at the shop now for a very loud whining noise, turned out to be the transfer case (AWD model).

Car only has 60k miles on it, besides the poor guy that had 3 replacements, anyone else seeing this issue? Do I have any leverage when I go to pay this bill?

Any TSB's etc...

Car was also rear ended a year ago, decent damage to body/chassis, but GEICO doesn't exactly check driveline issues, could it be from the accident, just took a couple of months to surface?

Any help would be much appreciated

Can you explain the whining noise? Did it increase with RPM or vehicle speed?

I do know my 1st gear whines a bit as the rpms rise, and generally other gears are quiet. I have heard reports of others with the 1st gear whine as well though and thought it was considered fairly normal?

My car should be on it's third transfer case, but I'm trading it in for a 2012. The first transfer case was leaking and and that was replaced under warranty. Now the transfer case is not supplying power to the rear wheels. It's fine to drive, just a front wheel drive car now. I was initially planning getting my car repaired, but the service guy said the part is on international back order and may take a few weeks to come in. That's when I decided to trade my 08 in at 76k miles before it became worthless. Actually pick up the 2012 tomorrow. Hopefully I won't have to hear the words transfer case again. If you are at 60k they may help you out because you are so close to the powertrain warranty.

My car should be on it's third transfer case, but I'm trading it in for a 2012. The first transfer case was leaking and and that was replaced under warranty. Now the transfer case is not supplying power to the rear wheels. It's fine to drive, just a front wheel drive car now. I was initially planning getting my car repaired, but the service guy said the part is on international back order and may take a few weeks to come in. That's when I decided to trade my 08 in at 76k miles before it became worthless. Actually pick up the 2012 tomorrow. Hopefully I won't have to hear the words transfer case again. If you are at 60k they may help you out because you are so close to the powertrain warranty.

Curious. How did you find out?
Was there AWD warning light on?

Last edited:
I noticed what felt like my front wheels slipping a few months ago when pulling out of a street on a wet road. I thought that it was strange at the time but no warning lights came on and didn’t really think anything of it. It wasn’t until it snowed a few weeks ago where it was apparent that I was only getting power to my front wheels. This time my 4wd light started flashing. On a better note I picked up a brand new 2012 Liquid Silver CX9 GT today.

Are you ready????? my 2011 CX9 GT is 14 months old and now has 17000 miles. I have replaced transfer case at 3500, 16000, 16800 miles. Don't ask why, this is our family car and is always driven with care when we go out with our children. I am at the end of my rope, and will be trading it in for another car, Mazda USA has nothing to say.

Are you ready????? my 2011 CX9 GT is 14 months old and now has 17000 miles. I have replaced transfer case at 3500, 16000, 16800 miles. Don't ask why, this is our family car and is always driven with care when we go out with our children. I am at the end of my rope, and will be trading it in for another car, Mazda USA has nothing to say.
Wow. This is what I was afraid of when considering the AWD. More complexity, more issues. Sorry for your troubles. Now I'm glad I opted the FWD.

The first one was pure bad luck, the rest? Blame it on incompetent dealer, perhapes.
I have mine for 55K miles. Still drive like new. I don't baby the car when I drive.
Cars need to "live a little" also, sometimes.

Can you explain the whining noise? Did it increase with RPM or vehicle speed?

I do know my 1st gear whines a bit as the rpms rise, and generally other gears are quiet. I have heard reports of others with the 1st gear whine as well though and thought it was considered fairly normal?

First gear whine is normal. If you heard the bad tc noise you would know it. Sounds about as bad as a tractor low on hydraulic fluid and is most noticable when slowing down to a stop. I imagined a gear or bearing grinding when I heard it.

About amonth ago i noticed a rotten egg or sulfer smell and then three weeks ago I noticed oil drops where I park. I took it into the dealer who told me my transfer unit was bad and needed to be replaced. Part needed to be ordered While waiting for repair I as told it was perfectly safe to drive my car. I questioned that now at least five time but am reassured that it is not causing any damage. Thoughts?

Just damaging the tc itself. The tc is fine unless you are hearing the inevitable whine/grind noise.
Once it looses any oil it is in jeopardy.

You likely smelled a Toyota accellerating in front of you. Every Toyota emits a foul egg smell while under load, even 13 models. One reason I would never buy one.

You likely smelled a Toyota accellerating in front of you. Every Toyota emits a foul egg smell while under load, even 13 models. One reason I would never buy one.

My dad has a 10 camry that I borrow when the Mazda is in the shop. It smelled like eggs until I blew it out. By that I mean I got it going about 100 mph in a half mile stretch of road. The v6 is fun. After that it was fine. It smelled awful after that but then it cleared up and didn't stink anymore.

09 mazda cx9 88,000 miles. whine between 30 and 60 mph, sulfer smell in cabin. you will notice a constant whine when power applied or on downhill costing mazda tech says to look on top of transfer case (you will need a mirror) if you see grease oozing out of vent the transfer case is going bad. 1500.00 if not under warranty.

Ok, I joined just now because I feel that it is important to add some info here.

I own a 2011 CX-9 AWD GT and just had the second transfer case put in it, first was at 24k and this one at 60k. Symtoms were as folllows:

- Fluid leak under car....few drops, does not smell like oil
- Bad oder in car (Rotten egg smell)
- Popping sound from front end, ours was worse with wheels turned and backing up

First one, we noticed the fliud and the noise, took it to the dealer and they said it all checked out and was fine, blamed the fluid on an oil change they did 3 days before. Three days later we left for trip to Colorado, 14 hour drive from our place in Texas. Noise go worse near Amarillo, car literally BROKE in Dalhart.......middle of freaking nowwhere.

I was pissed, called dealership in Georgetown and told them the situation, they asked what they could do, I said FIX IT!(FYI - This same dearlership left a wheel loose after replacing our wheel bearings on our 2009 CX-9, so I have no patience with them. We lost wheel on interstate and barely avoided a wreck) Made them trade me a 2011 for the 2009 after the incident with a 10/100k powertrain warrenty.

Back to story, we have the entire family of 5 which includes 20 month old in the car and have NEVER been so upset. They get us towed to Amarillo where we stay the night and the Ford dealership there is gratious enogh to lend us a Expedition and continue our trip to Colorado the next morning. We had a great time and drove back through Amarillo a week later to pick up our car.

Anyway, as soon as I saw one drop of fluid under the care again last week and my wife complained about a smell, I know exactly what it was. They had the car 4 days, picking it back up today. I will keep it until that 100k warranty is up and then never another Mazda, never been a ford fan and just should have known better. I know all cars can and will have issues, but this a WELL documented problem that they refuse to fix and that does not sit well with me on a vehicle most of us pay 35-45k for.

Advice to anyone with an AWD Cx-9, if you want to keep it, get an extended warranty, its GUARANTEED to pay off for you!

Do you tow? Btw you guys have to be adamant about your maintinence. 88k Probably should have had the oil changed 28k ago.. 24k and bad yea thats no good, good thing mazda got away from ford. Btw current cx9 is a ford..

Last edited:
Ok, I joined just now because I feel that it is important to add some info here.

I own a 2011 CX-9 AWD GT and just had the second transfer case put in it, first was at 24k and this one at 60k. Symtoms were as folllows:

- Fluid leak under car....few drops, does not smell like oil
- Bad oder in car (Rotten egg smell)
- Popping sound from front end, ours was worse with wheels turned and backing up

First one, we noticed the fliud and the noise, took it to the dealer and they said it all checked out and was fine, blamed the fluid on an oil change they did 3 days before. Three days later we left for trip to Colorado, 14 hour drive from our place in Texas. Noise go worse near Amarillo, car literally BROKE in Dalhart.......middle of freaking nowwhere.

I was pissed, called dealership in Georgetown and told them the situation, they asked what they could do, I said FIX IT!(FYI - This same dearlership left a wheel loose after replacing our wheel bearings on our 2009 CX-9, so I have no patience with them. We lost wheel on interstate and barely avoided a wreck) Made them trade me a 2011 for the 2009 after the incident with a 10/100k powertrain warrenty.

Back to story, we have the entire family of 5 which includes 20 month old in the car and have NEVER been so upset. They get us towed to Amarillo where we stay the night and the Ford dealership there is gratious enogh to lend us a Expedition and continue our trip to Colorado the next morning. We had a great time and drove back through Amarillo a week later to pick up our car.

Anyway, as soon as I saw one drop of fluid under the care again last week and my wife complained about a smell, I know exactly what it was. They had the car 4 days, picking it back up today. I will keep it until that 100k warranty is up and then never another Mazda, never been a ford fan and just should have known better. I know all cars can and will have issues, but this a WELL documented problem that they refuse to fix and that does not sit well with me on a vehicle most of us pay 35-45k for.

Advice to anyone with an AWD Cx-9, if you want to keep it, get an extended warranty, its GUARANTEED to pay off for you!

yes, extended warranty is probably the best idea.
I know everyone's experience is different, but it is more than likely inevitable that your TC will fail. We are on our 3rd TC and guess what? no AWD again. TC seems fine, but rear wheels no spin. we can't get up the drive way AGAIN.
The rumor running around is that this TC was designed for a much lighter car, like the fusion. do the math. Now this time it will probably be the viscous coupler, which will probably cost as much as the TC. Either way, screwed.

On a bright note, the dealer here in Fort Wayne, IN has a TC service for the TC now. they drain (more like suck out) the oil and add new. They charge ~$90. well worth it, as this alone done every year could prevent the TC from failing.

I honestly don't know how they are getting away with selling this car.

Back