CX-5 Changes 2019 vs 2024?

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
I have a 2019 Signature turbo. Debating between holding on or buying a 2024 Signature as a new car. But I’m wondering if there have been enough changes and improvements to justify the change. I know about the new grill and the bigger infotainment screen of course but what else would justify the expense? My sales rep says it’s now a “much better car” but didn’t mention big changes. Thoughts?

I have a 2019 Signature turbo. Debating between holding on or buying a 2024 Signature as a new car. But I’m wondering if there have been enough changes and improvements to justify the change. I know about the new grill and the bigger infotainment screen of course but what else would justify the expense? My sales rep says it’s now a “much better car” but didn’t mention big changes. Thoughts?
I will share my experience moving from my 2020 Signature to the '22 I currently have.
The changes made in those two model years made it feel like a much more substantial vehicle.

The upgrade to the newer Mazda connect system alone brings it ahead in leaps and bounds.
The improved headlights that are now much brighter make a big difference in nighttime driving.
The car feels more solid and dampened now. That one is hard to describe but the vehicle feels more substantial in my '22 than my '20. I suspect the additional sound insulation adds to this quality.

There were more than enough changes from 2020 to 2022 that made it easy for me to make the jump, I suspect with the addition of the wireless CarPlay in '24, among some other minor cosmetic changes, it would be a fairly easy decision for you to move into a '24.

Seeing how it's due for a refresh/update in '25, and Mazda's most recent designs/decisions (CX90, CX70, CX50) haven't landed well with some of us Mazda fans, you may want to grab a 2024 before you can't anymore.

In my opinion, the 2024 cx5 is the best version of the car to get, it's been refined and improved for many years and it's in its finest form right now.

Have you gone to check one out? That could seal the deal for you!

I will share my experience moving from my 2020 Signature to the '22 I currently have.
The changes made in those two model years made it feel like a much more substantial vehicle.

The upgrade to the newer Mazda connect system alone brings it ahead in leaps and bounds.
The improved headlights that are now much brighter make a big difference in nighttime driving.
The car feels more solid and dampened now. That one is hard to describe but the vehicle feels more substantial in my '22 than my '20. I suspect the additional sound insulation adds to this quality.

There were more than enough changes from 2020 to 2022 that made it easy for me to make the jump, I suspect with the addition of the wireless CarPlay in '24, among some other minor cosmetic changes, it would be a fairly easy decision for you to move into a '24.

Seeing how it's due for a refresh/update in '25, and Mazda's most recent designs/decisions (CX90, CX70, CX50) haven't landed well with some of us Mazda fans, you may want to grab a 2024 before you can't anymore.

In my opinion, the 2024 cx5 is the best version of the car to get, it's been refined and improved for many years and it's in its finest form right now.

Have you gone to check one out? That could seal the deal for you!

I believe your assessments. I will say, the 2nd gen projector LED headlights are great and very bright - they're just aimed too low. Aimed slightly higher they have excellent performance. With the stock aim, you can see hundreds of feet down the road with low beams, but only on a level or upwards facing surface. They're aimed too low when driving downhill (as are many cars, all while high riding full size trucks and SUVs have an automatic height advantage in their headlights), but an easy fix in a few minutes with a philips screwdriver and some painter's tape.

Also, you can add extra insulation for very little cost. The 2017+ gen is already one of the quietest vehicles in its class from the factory with its underbody panels, felt coated wheel wells, double door seals, and laminated windshield and front windows. I added some extra insulation in the cargo area, it's easy. All you need to do is remove a few 10mm bolts and pull the covers of the rear interior cargo area out - you don't even really need a pry tool to do it.

Last edited:
Chocolate, do you think the “new” L-shaped headlights are an improvement? Just bothers me they are likely a passing fad. I see them on BMWs to Kias.

you get new (better LEDs) headlights, connected services and new infotainment, a bit better suspension, bit better offroad mode (awd) and may be some extra NVH comfort. Its still the same car, same interior and engine with some small tweaks.
If you have to shell 10k+ just for that its probably not worth it. Especially if your 2019 is in good condition and not many miles.

Last edited:
Chocolate, do you think the “new” L-shaped headlights are an improvement? Just bothers me they are likely a passing fad. I see them on BMWs to Kias.

Funny enough, I made a similar observation when I saw them - I think it's a less original design, but they still look good and overall, the design and body style is about 95% the same. I do prefer the previous headlights/taillights and grille design, but since they are so similar, I'd be happy with either.

Here's a breakdown, year-by-year, of the upgrades and changes to the Signature-

Road Noise Reduction
PPT Performance Improvement (+10lb-ft torque)
Off-road Traction Assist
New-style key fob
Paddle Shifters
Advanced Smart City Brake Support- nighttime added

10.25" large center display w/ higher quality images
Mazda Connected Services
Driver Attention Alert
Rear Smart City Brake Support

Traffic Jam Assist

Adopt PTO damper for improvement in practical fuel economy
HVAC Variable Compressor
Increased strength on front seatback
New Front Grille Design - Gunmetal Finish
Body color paint on front and rear Bumper Garnish
Body color rocker panel moulding
Body color Wheel Arches
19" Alloy wheels with Silver metallic finish
Interior stitching light grey in lieu of black
Touch screen function for Apple Carplay/Android Auto
Wireless Carplay/Auto
Off-road Navigation
Additional USB-C ports

Here's a breakdown, year-by-year, of the upgrades and changes to the Signature-

Road Noise Reduction
PPT Performance Improvement (+10lb-ft torque)
Off-road Traction Assist
New-style key fob
Paddle Shifters
Advanced Smart City Brake Support- nighttime added

10.25" large center display w/ higher quality images
Mazda Connected Services
Driver Attention Alert
Rear Smart City Brake Support

Traffic Jam Assist

Adopt PTO damper for improvement in practical fuel economy
HVAC Variable Compressor
Increased strength on front seatback
New Front Grille Design - Gunmetal Finish
Body color Wheel Arches
Interior stitching light grey in lieu of black
Touch screen function for Apple Carplay/Android Auto
Wireless Carplay/Auto
Off-road Navigation
Additional USB-C ports
You win! Excellent update!

My '23 overall does seem quieter, both inside the cabin and the ability of the hood to dampen the engine, vs my '20--which was already good.

I also agree with the comments on solidity. Not sure what they did to the suspension but I like it.

you get new (better LEDs) headlights
I'm not sure about these comments regarding the headlights. LED projector headlights have been on the car since 2017. In fact I didn't see a difference in my headlights from my 2017, 2020, or 2023. The only thing is that now they move left and right with my steering and they have a really cool signature style.
I will say, the 2nd gen projector LED headlights are great and very bright - they're just aimed too low.
I definitely don't agree with this! They are borderline, already shining into windows whenever you hit a bump because they just project up the back of most cars on the road.

I'm not sure about these comments regarding the headlights. LED projector headlights have been on the car since 2017. In fact I didn't see a difference in my headlights from my 2017, 2020, or 2023. The only thing is that now they move left and right with my steering and they have a really cool signature style.
There is official documentation from Mazda on the design changes to the headlights for 2022. You can find it out there if you look. There are more LEDs in the units starting in 2022. You're right that they've had projectors since 2017 but the design and operation completely changed in 2022.

I bet they did to incorporate the local dimming or whatever they are going to call it. But to me as a current user, I guess I didn't notice anything different.

Some recent rumours are that 2025 will be another (and final) carry-over year. Wouldn’t surprise me. There has been no Mazda-originated hype about a new design and Beelzebubba listed a lot of changes for 2024.

I bet they did to incorporate the local dimming or whatever they are going to call it. But to me as a current user, I guess I didn't notice anything different.
I think you're right. Love to have that tech. activated in my Mazda. We have it on our F150 and it's impressive to watch dim certain areas of the high beam.

Body color Wheel Arches

Those bolded items were added on the '22 Signature models along with the revised front & rear fascia and lighting (no more front fog lights)

For the '24 models the wheels are slightly darker and the chin and rear spoilers are now silver instead of black, as were the mirrors at release, but they looked so atrocious that Mazda switched them back to body color for the remainder of the '24 model run.

Last edited:
Yes.

Thats why on 2022+ the high beams are separate stream (leds) while the lower beam (separate leds in the lens) continue to stream in the low position.
Its the ground for the so called full matrix leds technology , its just not fully available/enabled for US.

On previous models its just one/same stream that either moves up or down.
Thats the main difference and it is major difference at night. It lights everything on the road in 2022+ (PP and Turbo or higher trims)

Park near a wall at 10 feet (at night without other light source) and turn on the hradlights - observe the pattern...then turn on high-beams and observe the added pattern - the low beam pattern would also be there.
On older models is either upper or lower pattern.

Last edited:
-⋯ LED projector headlights have been on the car since 2017. In fact I didn't see a difference in my headlights from my 2017, 2020, or 2023. The only thing is that now they move left and right with my steering and they have a really cool signature style.
My 2016 CX-5 GT also has LED projector headlights with nice looking LED signature strip DRLs (not using low-beam LED headlights as DRLs). The LED projector headlights can also move left and right with my steering in addition to auto-leveling.

Yes.

Thats why on 2022+ the high beams are separate stream (leds) while the lower beam (separate leds in the lens) continue to stream in the low position.
Its the ground for the so called full matrix leds technology , its just not fully available/enabled for US.

On previous models its just one/same stream that either moves up or down.
Thats the main difference and it is major difference at night. It lights everything on the road in 2022+ (PP and Turbo or higher trims)

Park near a wall at 10 feet (at night without other light source) and turn on the hradlights - observe the pattern...then turn on high-beams and observe the added pattern - the low beam pattern would also be there.
On older models is either upper or lower pattern.
No matter, Mazda should bring in the much better and long available world wide but not in the US ALH into the US which now is legal to use.

Latest posts

Back