Now with the CX-70 "revealed", what is everyone buying?

He might have to. There are 3 21" wheel options and 2 of them come w/summer tires (the other one might be a staggered setup)! The Germans are really good at slipping in Performance Tires if you're not paying attention! 😮

First, it is my wifes car and furthermore, we sit on the inside. Don't want my car to be fugly, but not dwelling on the looks. Its an SUV.

And they are 20" wheels with 274/45R20 All Season Runflats. When they come off it will likely get Continental Extreme Contact DWS or Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 which are both All Season High Performance non-runflats.

Not sure what the jones is for gigantic wheels. The guys that buy the 22" wheels with no sidewall all whine about the lack of choices and that they are $500 a tire. This is a utility vehicle and highway cruiser, not a track car or even a canyon carver. SMH

Last edited:
First, it is my wifes car and furthermore, we sit on the inside. Don't want my car to be fugly, but not dwelling on the looks. Its an SUV.

And they are 20" wheels with 274/45R20 All Season Runflats. When they come off it will likely get Continental Extreme Contact DWS or Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 which are both All Season High Performance non-runflats.
Sounds like a plan!

The CX-70, on it's own, is still a great car. Its just not what a lot of us were hoping for, and I think that's where all the negativity is coming from.
This is truth. Mazda makes great cars, they just struggle figuring out what cars to make for the U.S. Market. For what it is, it is a good vehicle at a decent price.

The CX-70, on it's own, is still a great car. Its just not what a lot of us were hoping for, and I think that's where all the negativity is coming from. I'm glad it still works for you! It's certainly better looking (to me) than the CX-90.
The problem with looking "better" is that, it does indeed look better, but only in black imo and maybe white. I hate black cars and most of us do, as you cannot keep them clean. If you look at all the other colors, it seems that the new plastic grill and fender are really out of spot. The more I look at those the more I like the CX90 clean look without the plastic vents in front.

Not sure what the jones is for gigantic wheels. The guys that buy the 22" wheels with no sidewall all whine about the lack of choices and that they are $500 a tire. This is a utility vehicle and highway cruiser, not a track car or even a canyon carver. SMH
My comment was not about the size, it was about styling. Those rims are ugly (imo) for such a beautiful car.

My comment was not about the size, it was about styling. Those rims are ugly (imo) for such a beautiful car.
Not my first choice, but what you get with the M Sport package (M Steering Wheel, M Adaptive Suspension, body color wheel skirts instead of black plastic, roof rails, Shadowline trim) and the only thing with All Season tires. I'm well past the whole blackout thing, especially on an SUV and didn't want 22" wheels.

IMO soul red does not bode well for this big vehicle. Think Artisan Red is more appropriate. Ofc, its a matter of taste.

Curious, how you will be specking that. You need to give up some things to get other things....
Yes, I’ll have to give up ridiculous, touchscreen based controls for just about everything, worse safety protection, less interior room, a silly, little nub for a shifter, etc. 🙄

Yes, I’ll have to give up ridiculous, touchscreen based controls for just about everything, worse safety protection, less interior room, a silly, little nub for a shifter, etc. 🙄
You'll be giving up using the touch screen for anything other than Carplay or Android Auto. Mazda locks you out when in motion. I'll be sure to wave as I go by you though! 👋

You'll be giving up using the touch screen for anything other than Carplay or Android Auto. Mazda locks you out when in motion. I'll be sure to wave as I go by you though! 👋
Nah, I’ll be able to adjust the fan speed on the first try, while you’ll veer into traffic from all of the distracted jabs at that silly touchscreen.

Congrats on the X5. Great car! Unfortunately it is out of my budget range.

Shopping around for a replacement car for our mazda 3. Looking into SUVs, don’t want anything generic like a RAV 4 or CR-V. My CX-9 has been fitting that bill for the last 5 years, but i am keeping it so do not need another 3 row.

Like everyone else, the CX-70 is out of my shopping list now because of its size. Still early days on my shopping, but at the moment it seems like a toss up between

2 year old:
-Acura RDX
-Genesis GV-70
-BMW X3 (maybe the PHEV 30e, or not)
-Audi Q5

New
- CX-5
- CX-50
- VW Atlas Cross sport

These are all about the same price here in Canada around the $40-49k canadian (well maybe except the VW Cross sport). All AWD. Disclaimer, i have not had the chance to test drive any of them yet.

I am also not quite sure I want to jump into the luxury brand maintenance and ownership costs, looking to keep the car 10 years. so that is why the list straddles luxury and mainstream brand. The genesis and VW both are bottom of the list on the last Consumer report, so I have to consider that as well.

I know these are not midsize SUV except the VW cross sport, but the list of 2 row midsize SUV is pretty short. Midsizes not making the cut:

-Ford Edge
-Jeep Grand-Cherokee
-Hyundai Santa fe
-Kia Sorento
-Honda Passport
-Chevrolet Blazer
-Nissan Murano

If the CX-70 would have been a smaller/ slightly cheaper CX-90, that it would have been my choice. I apparently don’t like any of the other mid-sizes choices, and I am now cross shopping all over the place. A midsize would have been nice, but I can settle for a compact SUV.

Last edited:
RX350 Premium with a couple of Packages added.

I'd have preferred an I6 (if they had bumped the HP in the base Turbo configuration) and more cargo space, but the 70 as finally revealed just misses the mark in too many ways for me.
you pretty much read my mind, except i can't pull off a new RX, so it'll probably be a '16-18 RX. also prefer the V6 to the newer turbo 4, though i'm not sure this would be a deal breaker if i could afford a newer RX. considering hybrids too; new mazda hybrids are either not economical enough for a hybrid or will cost too much for me.

anyone seen the new x1 (or x2)? i saw an x1 m35 (not sure if i got that right) and it looked insane. bigger than expected and beautiful shape and silver/grey color.

bmw-x1-m35i-soymotor_1.jpg

Last edited:
With the CX70 reveal fiasco, basically showing us a car the nobody expected it/wanted and the overwhelming negative opinions about this, what is everybody buying.

I will start myself as I was waiting for basically two years for this model to arrive. I wanted a bench on the second row and I wanted the artisan red color and nice wheels on the highest trim along with the Red nappa interior. Of course I wanted the length slashed for about 5 inches. All in one I could stomach this length, however, Nappa red leather is only available on GT-P trim level (Canada), therefore you are left out with the old instrument cluster. Artisan Red is not available at all. Wheels on the highest trim and GT-P are kind of meh.

The results, I went and test drove again the CX90 and this week will order most likely a CX90 in Artisan Red with tan interior.
i admittedly didn't watch/read the entire reveal of the cx70, but was turned off by what i did read, see and hear. those newer models are out of my reach anyway.

Havent seen one, but i did watch a review that stated the X1 had now a about as much interior space as the X3. It definitely has grown a lot.
i don't doubt it. i didn't look inside too much (it was parked at work and i didn't want to get caught inspecting a guest's ride) but i was parked near it, and it looked close to the size of my cx-5 from the outside.

Congrats on the X5. Great car! Unfortunately it is out of my budget range.

Shopping around for a replacement car for our mazda 3. Looking into SUVs, don’t want anything generic like a RAV 4 or CR-V. My CX-9 has been fitting that bill for the last 5 years, but i am keeping it so do not need another 3 row.

Like everyone else, the CX-70 is out of my shopping list now because of its size. Still early days on my shopping, but at the moment it seems like a toss up between

2 year old:
-Acura RDX
-Genesis GV-70
-BMW X3 (maybe the PHEV 30e, or not)
-Audi Q5

New
- CX-5
- CX-50
- VW Atlas Cross sport

These are all about the same price here in Canada around the $40-49k canadian (well maybe except the VW Cross sport). All AWD. Disclaimer, i have not had the chance to test drive any of them yet.

I am also not quite sure I want to jump into the luxury brand maintenance and ownership costs, looking to keep the car 10 years. so that is why the list straddles luxury and mainstream brand. The genesis and VW both are bottom of the list on the last Consumer report, so I have to consider that as well.

I know these are not midsize SUV except the VW cross sport, but the list of 2 row midsize SUV is pretty short. Midsizes not making the cut:

-Ford Edge
-Jeep Grand-Cherokee
-Hyundai Santa fe
-Kia Sorento
-Honda Passport
-Chevrolet Blazer
-Nissan Murano

If the CX-70 would have been a smaller/ slightly cheaper CX-90, that it would have been my choice. I apparently don’t like any of the other mid-sizes choices, and I am now cross shopping all over the place. A midsize would have been nice, but I can settle for a compact SUV.
I would stay away from the RDX due to the rear window shattering issue that involves the rear defroster. It's also no coincidence that quite a number of impacted members were Canadians! There is a TSB that addresses the issue (should really be a recall) but I I think the fix is replacing in kind! You can read the gory details here:

If you want to know about pros/cons for the X3, shoot questions my way!

anyone seen the new x1 (or x2)? i saw an x1 m35 (not sure if i got that right) and it looked insane. bigger than expected and beautiful shape and silver/grey color.

View attachment 326372
Yes, the newer X1s are nicer since the redesign and have grown to nearly X3 proportions! On paper, they spec very similarly and no doubt many first time BMW buyers will opt for the X1 based on specs alone. However, most folks don't realize the X1 is still based on a Mini Cooper chassis and is a FWD-biased car and won't have the sporty nature found in the RWD-biased X3. Everyone has a budget so take this info for what it is!

Nah, I’ll be able to adjust the fan speed on the first try, while you’ll veer into traffic from all of the distracted jabs at that silly touchscreen.
Again, I’m glad that Mazda didn’t make the idiotic move that BMW did when they basically forced you to use a touchscreen to do simple things like adjust temperature, fan speed, etc. I don’t know how people can defend BMW like they do.

Cut it out guys.

Again, I’m glad that Mazda didn’t make the idiotic move that BMW did when they basically forced you to use a touchscreen to do simple things like adjust temperature, fan speed, etc. I don’t know how people can defend BMW like they do.
I wanted to remove any misunderstanding that BMW only has a touchscreen interface. In the pic of the X5 interior, you can clearly see the rotary dial is still there and is my preferred method of interaction w/my X3 as it's safer! The best interface is the one that gives you a choice!

Mazda is the same, no?

2024-bmw-x5-115-1675791498.jpg

Latest posts

Back