What are your expectations for the CX-70?

What does everyone expect the CX-70 to be? The realistic side of me is expecting a CX-60 with the width of the CX-90. What I’m hoping for is something longer than the 60 with a raked Cayenne Coupe-esque roofline. I think we all know what the front end and interior will look like.

I’m hoping for:
- a design as sharp looking as the CX-90,
- a width between the CX-60 & -90, and
- a foot or so longer than the -60.

- PHEV pricing $5k less than the -90,
- with a few more miles of all-electric range
- and light interior color choices like parchment or that nice brown on the CX-50.

I’m hoping for:
- a design as sharp looking as the CX-90,
- a width between the CX-60 & -90, and
- a foot or so longer than the -60.

- PHEV pricing $5k less than the -90,
- with a few more miles of all-electric range
- and light interior color choices like parchment or that nice brown on the CX-50.

I would agree with this. I would like something that was slightly shorter than a CX-9 but longer than a CX60 - maybe something that is 190-192 inches long. The width should be similar to the CX-50, with the aggressive styling but upscale look and feel of the CX-60.

I want the same engine choices as well.

I am guessing pretty much a CX-60 but using anything/everything from the CX90. Same engine choices. I am in agreement with @PaulZooms with about a $5K difference trim to trim comparison.

I am expecting the interior to be the same as well as the front clip. Also, thinking same for the rear styling.

Things I am hoping for:
1) Headlight tech from the CX60 (matrix LED headlights)
2) Real exhaust tips or at least convincing fake ones (I am not sold on the CX60 approach)
3) Any issues/bugs from the CX90 launch to be fixed for the 70
4) Tone down the use of chrome seen on the CX90, or at least a darker chrome effect.
5) Tail lights different than the CX60 (more influence from the CX30 would be nice)

That, finally a vehicle that I want.

• PHEV
  • HUD
  • Head Room
  • Crossover
  • Goldilocks size

Worries
  • Mazda seats, re CX5
  • Lousy safety tech, particularly LKAS. I have a mind numbing commute.
  • Can I live with the knob? Mazda just won’t let full touch happen..

That, finally a vehicle that I want.

• PHEV
  • HUD
  • Head Room
  • Crossover
  • Goldilocks size

Worries
  • Mazda seats, re CX5

Regarding your commute, are you looking for something with lane centering? Because it seems that starting with the CX-90, lane centering will be available.

Regarding your commute, are you looking for something with lane centering? Because it seems that starting with the CX-90, lane centering will be available.
Correct, but I've seen a couple of reviews of the CX-60 that questioned its quality. We'll have to wait and see. Any ideas on when the CX-90 review embargo is lifted?

Correct, but I've seen a couple of reviews of the CX-60 that questioned its quality. We'll have to wait and see. Any ideas on when the CX-90 review embargo is lifted?

I have no idea, I've been wondering about that myself. So far all of the reviews I've seen have been static reviews.

Worries
  • Mazda seats, re CX5
I hated the need to use the command knob at first too but it has now become second nature. However you might be in luck....kindasorta. Our new CX-50 allows the use of the touchscreen when driving BUT only when using ACP/AA. While it doesn't give full functionality, it is better than none for those that wish to use it. I would imagine that this trend will continue on the CX-90 and CX-70.

The 2 features that make the CX-70 worth waiting for are the inline 6 and rear wheel based all wheel drive. Otherwise, I likely would have a CX-50.

What I hope for a is a mid-sized, 2-row variant of the full-sized, 3-row CX-90. Think what the X5 is to the X7 or GV70 is to the GV80.
-Lower (none of these need 8.5" of ground clearance...none of these are going off-road.)
-Lighter
-Same width
-No longer than about 192"

What I expect...Nobody every got rich predicting what Mazda will do. If we call the CX-7 mid-sized, they have had a hole in their lineup since 2012 while introducing a subcompact (CX-30), a 2nd Compact (CX-50 to the CX-5) and a 2nd full-size (CX-90 added to CX-9) and neglecting the mid-size.

The 2 features that make the CX-70 worth waiting for are the inline 6 and rear wheel based all wheel drive. Otherwise, I likely would have a CX-50.

What I hope for a is a mid-sized, 2-row variant of the full-sized, 3-row CX-90. Think what the X5 is to the X7 or GV70 is to the GV80.
-Lower (none of these need 8.5" of ground clearance...none of these are going off-road.)
-Lighter
-Same width
-No longer than about 192"

What I expect...Nobody every got rich predicting what Mazda will do. If we call the CX-7 mid-sized, they have had a hole in their lineup since 2012 while introducing a subcompact (CX-30), a 2nd Compact (CX-50 to the CX-5) and a 2nd full-size (CX-90 added to CX-9) and neglecting the mid-size.
I agree with most of these item, however, I would like to see at least an 8" ground clearance. I dont go off-road, I just live in an area with to many potholes and Im not trying to bottom out.

I agree with most of these item, however, I would like to see at least an 8" ground clearance. I dont go off-road, I just live in an area with to many potholes and Im not trying to bottom out.
If you have pot holes big enough and deep enough to require 8" ground clearance to keep from bottoming out, you have way bigger problems than bottoming out. You are going to be blowing tires, bending rims, destroying suspension pieces. I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA and I know big potholes! We used to fill them with bricks and paint circles around them. The approach angles from both ends are not going to be the problem with a reasonably long wheelbase, so it is merely ground clearance and 6.5" is going to be plenty as long as you are not off roading. I have already investigated lowing kits for the X5, CX-50, RDX and other models on my radar screen.

My MX-5 stock has 4.7" of ground clearance and that is not a problem (I've lowered it 1.25" on Fox Racing Coilovers and it can drag the front air dam if I am not careful on some driveways and I can bottom out on the speed bumps at Costco if I take them too fast, but then I am down to 3.5" of ground clearance.) Deep snow is one area where extra is useful. The Toyota Sienna minivan has about 6.4" of clearance and a Honda Odyssey about 4.5"! And that is the front air dam. I sometimes forget that my wife's Oddysey is still a minivan and top heavy it drives so much better than a Sienna. Wanting Super high ground clearance, in most cases, is a vanity issue. Those are the same people that probably should be driving a minivan instead of a 3 row SUV because minivans drive better, ride better, have more usable passenger and cargo space, get better gas mileage and are much more maneuverable. People going off paved road need an SUV, truck or jeep with high ground clearance. The rest of us don't.

Around 196" length - good legroom plus respectable cargo space with the seats up.

Steep rear hatch, not a low-angle long rear hatch (have as much full interior height as possible, extending into that cargo area).

Stick with the 19" tires on higher end Premium packages, making the 21s a discrete addon (I'm in the Northeast, snow and cruddy pothole road region - the 19s are more forgiving and generally do better for bad weather conditions [personal experience]).

Beefed up base turbo engine - tune things so you can stay with regular gas (much cheaper) but have 300+ HP (IMO, based on my current car, a 3.3 turbo should readily achieve that).

Option to delete, or bypass mode, for the mild hybrid.

300 - 400 lb weight reduction compared to the CX-90 (not having those 3rd row seats, and a handful of inches shorter, should make this doable)

Fix the BSM functionality - multiple reports on the 90 of false alarms, hopefully a SW bug else find a new, working, sensor implementation.

Infotainment - chase down whatever bug is causing the intermittent blank screen reports.

Back