Mazda Canada CX-90 Trim Details

It's too bad that mazda decided to go the same path like Kia and some other automakers. You can not get a bench seating with heated seat option anymore. Come on. 50k car. You need to pay more, get less to have something that previously was available in 45k range - Mazda cx9 gsl.

Now heated seats come only with captain's chairs.

Overall dimensions are also not that appealing. Even more bigger outside dimension does not translate into bigger space inside.

So the new CX-90 is anywhere from 300-500 lbs heavier than the CX-9. That might make the overall performance of the "regular" inline 6 similar to the current CX-9 on premium.
I wonder what's going to be a feeling when you are actually driving the car. Looks like fuel rating is slightly better but with such a heavy car real fuel economy might be different. The engine specs however look like they might be a perfect match for coming cx 70. Smaller and lighter.

I wonder what's going to be a feeling when you are actually driving the car. Looks like fuel rating is slightly better but with such a heavy car real fuel economy might be different. The engine specs however look like they might be a perfect match for coming cx 70. Smaller and lighter.

Agreed.

It is not the extra weight that will hurt it’s fuel economy. It is the extra horsepower available for you to use. And using them you should.

For my part, i am impressed by those numbers. It is not often you add a bigger engine with that much more horsepower and end up with better fuel economy.

Fuel economy city went from 11.5 L/100km to 9.9 (or 10.3 for the high output) that is fairly significant. It isn’t as good as a real hybrid, but a highlander does 11.8 city, a pilot does 12.4.

It is not the extra weight that will hurt it’s fuel economy. It is the extra horsepower available for you to use. And using them you should.

For my part, i am impressed by those numbers. It is not often you add a bigger engine with that much more horsepower and end up with better fuel economy.

Fuel economy city went from 11.5 L/100km to 9.9 (or 10.3 for the high output) that is fairly significant. It isn’t as good as a real hybrid, but a highlander does 11.8 city, a pilot does 12.4.

My post was about performance. How much difference is there between a
250 hp, 320 lb-ft car versus a car 300 lbs heavier and with 280 hp/, 332 b-ft? My hope is that while the "numbers" will be similar, the ride feel and refinement will be greater.

250 hp, 320 lb-ft car versus a car 300 lbs heavier and with 280 hp/, 332 b-ft? My hope is that while the "numbers" will be similar, the ride feel and refinement will be greater.

I hope so as well. Using regular fuel for that 280 hp will be nicer on the wallet too, and the I6 engine should be much more pleasing to wring out. I can't wait to test drive one and see how they compare.

The spec I want right now would come out to $73k CDN all said and done though. That's with no trade-in or down payment, with Mazda Loyalty credit of $1k, and with all taxes and fees included. There is absolutely no way I'm paying that, so I'll be revisiting this purchase in a few years, when the 360 monitor, HUD, etc. trickle down to the GT-P trim.

I hope so as well. Using regular fuel for that 280 hp will be nicer on the wallet too, and the I6 engine should be much more pleasing to wring out. I can't wait to test drive one and see how they compare.

The spec I want right now would come out to $73k CDN all said and done though. That's with no trade-in or down payment, with Mazda Loyalty credit of $1k, and with all taxes and fees included. There is absolutely no way I'm paying that, so I'll be revisiting this purchase in a few years, when the 360 monitor, HUD, etc. trickle down to the GT-P trim.
You do know that 2 of your desired options are on the GT trim. Not see through 360 camera, but the regular 360, plus the HUD.

1680277267400.png

Yeah, that is huge plus as well. The 280 hp version and the 340 hp appear to be different enough to justify the price difference to me. I am really tempted by the CX-90 but really want the CX-70 - as I don't need the third row. And my head says wait a year for them to get the kinks worked out.

You do know that 2 of your desired options are on the GT trim. Not see through 360 camera, but the regular 360, plus the HUD.

View attachment 318285

My mistake. Mazda Canada's build tool needs some work. As far as I can tell, it doesn't list the ADD in the feature break out when selecting the trim, which is why I thought it wasn't included. It only lists the ADD at the very end, under Full Specifications. Because I'd want the high-output engine, it looks like I can get the GT-P for about $68.5k CDN. That's still too high for my liking, but we'll see what happens in the next few years.

I see what you mean better now. Yes it make sense, it is possible that the low output engine will feel very similar to the current engine with 93 octane. But i don’t use 93 so for me that would be a more significant jump. Also 300 pound is really the weight of about 1.5 adults, i can’t say in the current platform that i feel the difference when it is just me vs me, the wife and the kids in the car.

I think 300 pound difference would be a lot more noticeable in a light car with a small engine like a miata, but not so much in a car like the CX-9 and CX-90.

We will see when we drive it for sure.

It is interesting also how Mazda phrased fuel recommendations for both engines. We know now for sure that you can use either regular gas or 93 octane in both engines but for high output engine in GT-P and Signature, Mazda actually "recommends" 93 octane where for regular engine regular gas is sort of the way to go. Is it more marketing or is there a bigger risk using regular gas in high output engine?

I am curious also about max torque. For Cx-9 it was simple: 2000rpm. For cx-90 Mazda shows the range - for regular engine: 2000-3500rpm and for high output: 2000-4500rpm. What does that mean?

I was able to get the tow package that just has the tow connector and not the electrical connector. If I wanted to pay another $400 then I could get the full tow package and tow mode on my CX-90 PHEV in the US.

Was looking at the build feature and using the 360 view. The rear bumper, or lack of, really does make that tailgate a potential point of contact. I mean, obviously one shouldn't be backing into anything even with the bumper, but I wonder if one did back up say into a wall in a parking garage, what would hit first?

Or if a similar vehicle without a rear bumper were to back into you, would the contact be a body part rather than bumper to bumper?

Not a deal breaker for me, but just a thing I noticed.
I purchased the tow package and added a bar to the back that comes from Weathertech. It protects that back bumper from getting hit.

Latest posts

Back