CX-5 Year, Mileage and Repairs

I have owned 3 Mitsubishi’s in the past but this is my first Mazda CX-5 in Signature trim. It’s a 2023 with 2,900 miles. However, I’m curious : what year is your CX-5, what is your mileage and what sort of repairs have been performed on your vehicle other than normal wear and tear items? I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos about the reliability of the Mazda’s but I’d like some real life input. Thanks for sharing.

2016.5 GT AWD ~36k miles.

ZERO repairs needed, ZERO trips back to the dealership. I do all my own maintenance.

EDIT

I forgot about the one issue that I had with the CX. Not really the car's issue though. I had the Nav card 'go bad' and Mazda replaced it. The card wouldn't update, the replacement fixed the issue.

Last edited:
2016.5- 127k.
Only repair it’s had is an injector went bad at 100k but was covered under extended warranty. Otherwise it’s been the most reliable car I’ve owned.

Two CX-5's. 16 Touring, 19 GTR, both purchased new. Current each has 45,000 miles apprx.
Zero repairs on 16, 2 recalls, fuel filler pipe and hatch pistons.
Zero repairs on 19, no recalls.

Every vehicle needs routine, periodic maintenance for consumables and wear items. And, in the end, eventually, all parts are wear items. That said, ...

2016.5 CX-5 GT w/ Tech Pkg.

North of 110Kmi, and I've done the following maintenance items -- oil+filter and tire rotations periodically; air filter and cabin air filter when needed; brakes incl fluid; spark plugs; serpentine belt and tensioner @ 80Kmi (which should have been done by 50Kmi, IMO); drive line oils (transm, xfer case, diff); and coolant flush. Basic stuff. Running like a top.

Intake + MAF sensor -- Minor clean-up, but they're functioning fine.

Suspension bushings show a couple needing replacement soon. Tie rod ends and ball joints, soon. Have been mulling doing new shocks with a mild lowering, during which I'd also do the shock top/bearing piece; unneeded, as none have shown breakage or serious wear yet. If done, I'd get a decent alignment as well.

I suppose the water pump's going to need doing at some point, though it's still without issues. We'll see.

In the next year or two, I'll likely install new coolant hoses and clamps. Primarily because I tend to prefer getting ahead of relatively minor stuff like that.

Had a small crack in the windshield, which the nearby SafeLite folks took care of. (Amazing, that "magic" fluid that gets injected into the small cracks and divot, filling it in with tougher-than-glass resin.)

Nothing else is showing much wear.

Did a Line-X undercarriage coating when I got the car, so underneath it's still looking great. On the paint, it's got a couple of minor chips and whatnot that one would expect after 110Kmi+.

Interior -- I just keep using 303 Protectant on the vinyls and plastics, and Lexol on the leathers. In my area, it's useful to have all-weather mats on the floor and cargo areas; while these don't look spiffy, they help keep the crud off the interior surfaces.

The car's rock solid. Just standard wear items, so far.

Last edited:
2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - I do not have the technology or the Bose/moonroof package. Purchased new in April 2013.

Getting close to 133k miles now. Only repairs out of the ordinary for me:

• Belt tensioner went bad (this is a common problem item for many)
  • Shift actuator went bad (early model problem on the gated shifters, remember 2014 was only the 2nd model year for the CX-5 - $50 revised part that I replaced myself)
  • Door lock actuators went bad (not sure on this one, but it did cost me some $$$ to get fixed, I don't remember the exact amount. Was a few years ago.)
Outside of that, it's all been normal stuff - oil changes, brakes, brake fluid changes, filters, brake light bulbs, headlight bulbs, transmission fluid changes, spark plugs, coolant change, tires, etc.

Now, I do have an intermittent check engine light on at the moment, but I think it's just a dirty MAF or oxygen sensor or something as nothing actually feels off/wrong about how the car is running and like I said its an intermittent light - comes on for a couple days, goes off for a couple days. I'll need to get someone to look at this at some point just to get that fixed.

EDIT: I almost forgot @John B - I also had my oil pan resealed a couple years ago as I was getting a small leak.

But that should cover it. Keep in mind all this is over the course of 11 years of owning the car and I don't think any of this is particularly major and I think two of the items I dealt with were just early model problems that weren't issues in later models (i.e. the shifter actuator, and maybe the door lock actuators).

Last edited:
2016.5 cx5 touring (best year 😉 ) purchased new. Almost 170k miles now. No repairs needed. It has the noisy driver seat spring-cable but we rarely move it so we don't care and the interior lamp overhead switch is intermittent but not an issue for us.

2019 cx5 signature (2.2 diesel) purchased new. Almost 90k miles on it now. 1 repair of a wire harness for the DEF tank/pump (it was my own fault, chaffed on the tank cover edge from my hitch receiver installation. Runs great 👍

Three Mazda 3 hatchbacks in the family (2015, two 2018's) with 60k - 180k miles all purchased new. The 2015 needed a wheel bearing (my own fault) and both of the 2018's leather seats (driver side) tore at the stitching. No mechanical issues on any of them.

Yeah, Mazda has been solid for us 😁 (now, lemme go find some wood to knock on quick!!)

'15 CX-5 AWD GT 2.5L purchased new...currently around 81.5k miles

- Rear main seal oil leak (fixed under warranty)

- Timing cover oil leak (fixed under warranty but still seeps some oil). Nothing on the ground or noticeable between oil changes

- Rear BCM failed under warranty... IIRC...failure resulted in rear tailgate functions from lock, wiper and rear cargo light to not work

- Stitching on driver seat is starting to come apart. I need to get this fixed

- Recall hatch struts failed so I replaced with other OEM

- All power door locks are noisy. They squak and squeak but have never failed

- Front suspension squeaks / A lot of TSB... bushings, struts or A-ARM replacements I guess would fix

- Bluetooth module replacement (it didn't fail but fixed under TSB & warranty as had very poor connectivity issues)

It's been of average reliability overall of vehicles I have owned... I think my wife's old '96 Mazda Protege she purchased new back in the day is the most reliable vehicle we have ever had. It never went to the dealer one time.

I've used Mazda Moly in it since new and no noticeable oil consumption on dipstick between changes.

I think overall the powertrain will hold up long term but other components in the vehicle maybe not so much. A few other thoughts..worst example of infotainment (Wish I had '16 version)..I think I have seen in a car but glad it doesn't have electric parking brake setup from a simplicity standpoint.

Happy with my HIDs versus LEDs.. a lot cheaper to maintain if they malfunction..although recycle/used market gives lots of cheap options for everything.

I do all of my own maintenance as well.

Last edited:
Of the ones I've had:

2014 Sport FWD
2017 Touring FWD
2020 Touring FWD

None of them needed anything but oil changes. Seriously, I did no car repairs for a decade. I plan to keep the 2023 Turbo AWD longer, so we'll see.

2016 CX5 GT 140,000 miles - belt tensioner. Other than that it has been completely reliable. 2023 CX5 Turbo- 5,900 miles. No issues nor should it have any at this point.

2016 CX5 GT 140,000 miles - belt tensioner. Other than that it has been completely reliable. 2023 CX5 Turbo- 5,900 miles. No issues nor should it have any at this point.
Good to hear on the 16. I plan on keeping my 16 Touring until the wheels fall off.

2017 CX5 GT AWD: ~37k, no repair. GPS card went bad. Got one from Am*n.
2022 CX5 Turbo AWD: ~8k, no repair.
So the GPS card you purchased already contained updated maps? I just spent $84 on Mazda website to update my maps. Grrrrrrr

2017 CX5 GT AWD: ~37k, no repair. GPS card went bad. Got one from Am*n.
2022 CX5 Turbo AWD: ~8k, no repair.

So the GPS card you purchased already contained updated maps? I just spent $84 on Mazda website to update my maps. Grrrrrrr

How did you determine, based on what Ceric posted, that his card contained updated maps?

From my experience, based on two Nav cards, the cards don't come with the most up to date maps, they have to be updated with the Mazda ToolBox. My CX came with the nav card, and I purchased a card from Amazon for my MX. Both had to be updated to the latest maps.

I previously Owned a ‘19 GTR (Turbo). Had for 1.5 years put on 20-25k miles. Only repairs was 40k miles spark plug change, oil changes, and replaced brake pads and rotors. Shortly after the car was totaled. I Loved the cx-5 and after test driving the signature I realized it was worth the couple of extra $$$$. I have a lead foot and and lots of city driving. So my avg mpg is in upper teens 14-18 mpg (93 octane). New car ‘23 Signature (turbo) and no problems a little over 20k miles. Surprisingly I get slightly better mpg (17-19) driving same city routes.

Last edited:
I have owned 3 Mitsubishi’s in the past but this is my first Mazda CX-5 in Signature trim. It’s a 2023 with 2,900 miles. However, I’m curious : what year is your CX-5, what is your mileage and what sort of repairs have been performed on your vehicle other than normal wear and tear items? I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos about the reliability of the Mazda’s but I’d like some real life input. Thanks for sharing.
2020 Signature (turbo). 52k miles. No repairs, just a few firmware updates to fix infotainment issues and a cold shifting hesitation. Still original brakes all around, too.

When you purchase one of those SD cards how do you tell the last update date?
The only way that I've found to find the date of the last update is to pull the card from your car, insert it into your computer, and run the Mazda ToolBox.

Back