leaking belt tensioner

I'm not a fan of pressurized tensioners, my 06 and 07 Corollas had gas pressurized ones. I wish this thing had the old spring loaded one. This should have a least outlasted one belt. If you're changing one yourself, the service manual warns against mishandling the boot in case of causing a leak.

I'm not a fan of pressurized tensioners, my 06 and 07 Corollas had gas pressurized ones. I wish this thing had the old spring loaded one. This should have a least outlasted one belt. If you're changing one yourself, the service manual warns against mishandling the boot in case of causing a leak.
Totally agree! There're many applications on tensioner now switched to less reliable and more expensive oil/gas pressurized tensioner for some reason. I miss the old spring loaded tensioners and they last almost forever unless the bearing itself failed!

Just checked mine... still dry but will keep an eye on it. Anyone curious... if you can open the hood you can easily see if leaking over near alternator.

Just checked mine, boot is clean but the top bearing looks greasy/dirty. Normal?

Hard to tell without a picture, sounds like the bearing might be seeping a little grease.

I tried to get a picture, but was hard to make a usable one. I took a swab and its dirty but dry. Looks like there might've been lubricant from when it was built that dust attached itself to. Will keep an eye on it...

I tried to get a picture, but was hard to make a usable one. I took a swab and its dirty but dry. Looks like there might've been lubricant from when it was built that dust attached itself to. Will keep an eye on it...

Good point craigo. Mine was "wet" on the boot only. I need to wipe it dry and keep an eye out for it. I thought it might've been oil spilled from an oil change but no other surrounding areas had oil.

Like Chris said, not a covered part in the power train warranty. Dealer wants $256 installed, they said they never saw a problem with these before and today they saw 2, I'm guessing they'll be seeing a few more in the future . Part has to be ordered, not something they keep in stock.

Thread over on BITOG

Just from general web search it seems the "B" rev of this part may have come out in late '14.

Hopefully rev "B" included better seals for the hydraulics
We sure hope so. Strangely I never have to worry about these 3 traditional belts on my '98 Honda CR-V even until the timing belt replacement - that's at 115,000 miles. No expensive surpentine belt and tentioner!

Like Chris said, not a covered part in the power train warranty. Dealer wants $256 installed, they said they never saw a problem with these before and today they saw 2, I'm guessing they'll be seeing a few more in the future . Part has to be ordered, not something they keep in stock.

Hopefully I can get it covered under the Bumper to Bumper warranty.

Thread over on BITOG

Just from general web search it seems the "B" rev of this part may have come out in late '14.

Whats weird is our MY13 is bone dry while the MY16 has a "wet" boot.

We sure hope so. Strangely I never have to worry about these 3 traditional belts on my '98 Honda CR-V even until the timing belt replacement - that's at 115,000 miles. No expensive surpentine belt and tentioner!

Was that the recommended replacement interval of the timing belt on that Honda model?

EDIT: It seemed past due to me as most seem to be 60-100K miles.

Probably a wash in cost as timing belt replacements seem to never be cheap as water pump usually gets replaced as well.

Appears to be a relatively simple 1-2 hour driveway fix if I have to deal with it someday.

Last edited:
Here's my tensioner at 17k miles on a 2016 Skyactiv 2.5 engine. tensioner.jpg

My vehicle was built in 4/2014 so I assume I have the "A" rev. Probably something I keep an eye on every few months but bone dry so far.

It would seem both revs are not immune to possible issue.

Hopefully I can get it covered under the Bumper to Bumper warranty.

Whats weird is our MY13 is bone dry while the MY16 has a "wet" boot.

Wow... yeah that is definitely toast.

In that BITOG post I guess they are a 12mm bolt and nut. The bolt will stick with tensioner on removal. This appears to be same tensioner used on all SkyActiv motors.

Its the same part# even between 2.0 and 2.5l engines from my understanding. I could not hear/feel a difference. Thanks to this thread I was able to identify this. Will bring this up next time I'm at the dealership. If they do change it I'm going to pressure the dealership to change the hoses as well. Not 100% sure but I thought I saw oil on the belt.

I had a 97 Plymouth Voyager with the 3.0 V6. I replaced the tensioner in that with a new OEM one bought from the dealer. I figured I can’t go wrong with OEM, right? After a few weeks the belt would work its way off of the pulleys. I checked all the pulley alignments and couldn’t figure out what was wrong, so I brought the vehicle back to the Chrysler dealership and let them figure it out. Here, the tensioner base was off angle a little causing the walk-off by the belts. No big deal, the Chrysler garage said they’d replace it no-charge because it was a Chrysler part under warranty. Here, every tensioner they had in stock was made the same way, they were all bad. The tech ended up shimming the tensioner so it would track true. It seems like an easy job but you never really know.

Its the same part# even between 2.0 and 2.5l engines from my understanding. I could not hear/feel a difference. Thanks to this thread I was able to identify this. Will bring this up next time I'm at the dealership. If they do change it I'm going to pressure the dealership to change the hoses as well. Not 100% sure but I thought I saw oil on the belt.

They asked me if the A/C squealed when I turned it on. Seems to be the standard check...

Latest posts

Back