leaking belt tensioner

I just replaced my tensioner about 2 weeks ago.The dealer wanted 155$(incl tax) for the tensioner from their parts dept.Service dept said not warrantable at my time and mileage but they see them leak at around 40,000 miles or later.They quoted me at approx. 410-420 $ to replace it along with the water pump stretch belt and serpentine.

Needless to say not being happy with that bullsh*t,I got a tensioner online from Cox Mazda in Bradenton ,Fla.Price was 92 plus shipping for total of 112.00 delivered.It's tight in there to change it but only has one bolt and one nut at the top.To reach it I bought a cheap set of long combo wrenches at Harbor Freight for 20$ w/coupon.I needed the 17 mm to fit on the raised hex in the casting to apply pressure to release the belt tension.The 12 mm was needed to reach the top nut and center bolt.The nut and bolt were tight and I used a SK box end to loosen a little at first because the HF wrenches felt a little looser and no way did I want to strip either nut or bolt.The HF wrenches were used for the rest of the job and did a good job of tightening the nut and bolt without stripping.****NOTE*** The bolt is too long to be removed straight out from the tensioner and has to remain in the tensioner at removal.After brief cursing,I noticed that Mazda put a slot in the casting (for bolt clearance)so the tensioner can be slid forward before being lifted out.

It really wasn't a horrible job to do and would go a lot faster the second time around.Just takes patience and some long wrenches which are less apt to be dropped into the abyss below.Also, a telescoping magnet and flashlight did save my butt twice when I did drop a wrench.Did mine in a parking spot.Would be nicer to have alift and change from below. A long winded post but wanted to give details and save someone from getting raped on the job. Good luck, Jmaz

Additional notes: The HF wrench set is p/n 47067 (there's no doubt a few more for the same set depending upon their vendor) " 11pc metric long combo set"

I chose an oem mazda part for comfort sake vs aftermarket brand (rockauto had listed for cheaper price)I wouldn't buy this at AZ if they did in fact carry an aftermarket one.

At 29,000 miles my belts looked real good so they were reinstalled.Now I know how to change when needed.That serpentine is a really small.Dealer price is probably only 50 bux or more.GAG!
Thank you for the detailed writeup. Will be pricing around and figure out if it's something I feel comfortable DIYing.

CD-- you're welcome.If you don't feel comfortable with the job I can respect the idea of having it done.It's tight in there and the biggest liability is if the nut or bolt gets the corners stripped off.Then the crying starts and the motor mount likely comes off (perish the thought).Sometimes it's better to have it done and get on with your life rather than have a DIY "money saving" adventure that can turn sour,frustrating and saves no money.A person can get "rusty" by not continually fixing things and this was my first auto repair in about 5 years (yay mazda reliability) so I felt a little brave.Didn't help either that I'm tall and have a back problem that bending over for too long reminds me. Good luck in your decision. Jmaz

CD-- you're welcome.If you don't feel comfortable with the job I can respect the idea of having it done.It's tight in there and the biggest liability is if the nut or bolt gets the corners stripped off.Then the crying starts and the motor mount likely comes off (perish the thought).Sometimes it's better to have it done and get on with your life rather than have a DIY "money saving" adventure that can turn sour,frustrating and saves no money.A person can get "rusty" by not continually fixing things and this was my first auto repair in about 5 years (yay mazda reliability) so I felt a little brave.Didn't help either that I'm tall and have a back problem that bending over for too long reminds me. Good luck in your decision. Jmaz
(drinks)

I am still pretty new to DIYimg things so this one feels a little intimidating to me. But still mulling it over as I am being a total cheap ass having just bought tires, replaced the spark plugs, and AT shifter switch.

Jmaz: I hear that

as I get older some of the DIY money savers I will pay someone else to do.. I think my fix it myself teeter totter has started to lean the other way at my age. Not quite there yet but quickly approaching.

Jmaz: I hear that

as I get older some of the DIY money savers I will pay someone else to do.. I think my fix it myself teeter totter has started to lean the other way at my age. Not quite there yet but quickly approaching.

And when it gets hard to crawl around, even the most ardent DIYer may not want to even change his oil... or be able to....

Used to do it all myself, have the training and experience. Now it's just fluid changes and brakes. Two years ago was actually the first time anyone did brakes on my car, from a dealer no less...ever! But there's grand kids now and less time to fiddle with cars. Some times paying some one else is actually the better and less frustrating way to go.

And when it gets hard to crawl around, even the most ardent DIYer may not want to even change his oil... or be able to....

No doubt I will be there someday. I asked my 73 year old mother the other day if she was prepared for the day when she couldn't drive. She paused and told me she really hadn't thought about it. It's tough getting old and realizing everything that was a given may no longer be possible. Everyone... appreciate your youth.... we may need AI and autonomous to carry us into tomorrow. I'm a childless Gen-X'r and fully expect a non-human may helping me out in the years ahead. It is what it is regardless of your opinion on AI.

No doubt I will be there someday. I asked my 73 year old mother the other day if she was prepared for the day when she couldn't drive. She paused and told me she really hadn't thought about it. It's tough getting old and realizing everything that was a given may no longer be possible. Everyone... appreciate your youth.... we may need AI and autonomous to carry us into tomorrow. I'm a childless Gen-X'r and fully expect a non-human may helping me out in the years ahead. It is what it is regardless of your opinion on AI.

That's why auto mfgrs are adding all types of safety features like cameras, blindspot monitors, lane departure, etc. To keep the old geezers in their cars forever.
I think that's why there's a big push for self-driving cars.

Back