P5: passenger side mount shot

you have to get the 70 durometer, which is a lil stiffer than stock. But once the mount "breaks-in" its money. Im running the 88 duro which is pretty stiff and I love the feel of them once theyre "broken-in"

How much of a pain is it to replace that passenger side mount?

By the looks of it, I think it would be the easiest one to change. You just need to support the engine before removing it (a block of wood under the oil pan is what's often recommended). Otherwise all you need is a breaker bar and some sockets.

By the looks of it, I think it would be the easiest one to change. You just need to support the engine before removing it (a block of wood under the oil pan is what's often recommended). Otherwise all you need is a breaker bar and some sockets.

Actually the front is the easiest to change... you dont even need to support the motor!

On the easy scale

front - very easy
passenger side - easy
trans mount - not hard just a pain to remove everything to get to it.
rear - hard = pita

Damn that doesn't look pleasant :S

It's not and the factory i swear tac welds the nuts on or so it seem due to the crazy strenght of the factory lock tight. lol Several people have broken extension and sockets doing the rear mount! However the hardest part is getting to that bottom bolt on the bracket off the firewall. Your normal 3/8 socket is to big and you have to go down one smaller to make it easier.

Seems fairly straight forward looking at it, although I am new to these cars as of a few months here. I imagine I'd use wood to support the left hand side of the motor as close as the oilpan would allow to the mount?

If I am replacing this mount, do you recommend the OEM/OES mount or the cheaper generic mount from MTC? Also, how do I remove the angled bracket from the center of the mount, the one that bolts to the side of the motor?

Seems fairly straight forward looking at it, although I am new to these cars as of a few months here. I imagine I'd use wood to support the left hand side of the motor as close as the oilpan would allow to the mount?

If I am replacing this mount, do you recommend the OEM/OES mount or the cheaper generic mount from MTC? Also, how do I remove the angled bracket from the center of the mount, the one that bolts to the side of the motor?

It is straight forward... just unbolt that bracket just liek everythign else. Your making it way more complicated then it needs to be.

It is straight forward... just unbolt that bracket just liek everythign else. Your making it way more complicated then it needs to be.

Fair enough, I probably am. Do I need to unbolt or loosen the 2 bolts on the LH side of the block to give that angled piece some float?

Which mount do you recommend?

Fair enough, I probably am. Do I need to unbolt or loosen the 2 bolts on the LH side of the block to give that angled piece some float?

Which mount do you recommend?

I have aftermarket solid mounts but Id stick with OEM or something simalar. Again its straight forward and your way over complicating it! Seriously way over complicating it. Almost like playing 50 questions on a spark plug install over complicating it.

Whoa, totally just clicked there. Sorry for the lapse in comprehension, just realized that piece an integrated into the mount. Doh!

I don't access to a shop-quality floor jack or engine sling. What's my best bet for supporting the engine?

Last edited:
Whoa, totally just clicked there. Sorry for the lapse in comprehension, just realized that piece an integrated into the mount. Doh!

I don't access to a shop-quality floor jack or engine sling. What's my best bet for supporting the engine?

again making it more complicated then needs to be. Already mentioned a peice of wood and a floor jack. I use a el cheapo duralast floor jack from autozone. If it can jack the car it can support the motor. Your not trying to lift it out of the engine bay but more like a place holder for the most part.

sorry if this is beating a dead horse. unable to get a good pic, i found these pics and i'm reusing them to demostrate what i noticed. the side tabs appear to be torn...i poked around with my finger and it goes thru the other side.

i highlighted both sides of these tabs to show what i'm talking about
attachment.php

here is a more clear pic of what i found, and its like that on both sides
attachment.php

i am thinking of either replacing it with a mazdaspeed protege mount or AWR inserts. i only want it to be repaired and the msp mount would be a little stiffer to aid in reducing play in the shifter while still retaining compliant NVH. will the AWR inserts work in a torn mount and do they provide any harsh vibrations like their full urethane mounts are known for? thanks

Attachments

• sidemount01.jpg
    sidemount01.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 152
  • sidemount02.jpg
    sidemount02.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 153
Does the MSP use a different mount? I was under the impression that they used the same one.

physically i think its the same mount, however i've read that the rubber is slightly stiffer compared to the non-msp mount. i'm not sure how much of a difference, though.

Back