PG SRI - who's running it? Anybody?

Wurf

:
2010 CX9 Blue
I have been thinking about either the Corksport SRI or the PG SRI. The PG is about a hundred bucks less and does not come with an inlet. I'm thinking with my totally stock car, either one would give me similar gains. The inlet won't add a lot of power in my case I believe. I have no plans to ever run a DP or make any exhaust mods whatsoever and I just don't feel it's worth the money or the install effort.

So is anyone here running Protoge Garage's SRI kit and if so, how do you like it?

Search gave me zero results, just in case you wondered if I tried it first.

TIA

Steve

The PG SRI is great if you aren't looking for a full length intake system. It has air straighteners in the MAF tube, and is about 30 -50 bucks less than the next cheapest intake. It has the correct size MAF housing and is an intake. Driveability is stock with added power and sound.

I've had one on my car for ~6000 miles and couldn't be happier with it. Like stated above, The driveability is unchanged but you do get the little bit of added kick in the pants, and you can hear the turbo! Also, After 6000 miles my ltft's and stft's seem to be in order....nothing too high or low. Finally, i've had no cel's due to the intake (no cel's at all actually) and have noticed nothing from the intake except the added power and sound.

The intake didn't come with any sort of bracket. I'm not sure if a bracket is completely necessary, but made my own because I didn't like the thought to the intake bouncing up and down while I'm driving.

The only negative was when I ordered the intake, I only received the intake tube and silicone couplers, the K&N filter didn't come. Ken was very good about getting one shipped out to me, but I still had to buy a cheaper filter from Autozone to use until I got my K&N filter. I could have just waited for the K&N filter but having the intake sitting there for a week without putting it on would have drove me crazy :)

Last edited:
Ordered yesterday and I plan to run an AEM dry flow even though it comes with the K&N. I wanted to see if I could order it without any filter but couldn't get a hold of Ken on the phone and figured to heck with it, I'll keep it as a backup. Next mod is rear MM. Just waiting for CPE to stock them again.

I've had one on my car for ~6000 miles and couldn't be happier with it. Like stated above, The driveability is unchanged but you do get the little bit of added kick in the pants, and you can hear the turbo! Also, After 6000 miles my ltft's and stft's seem to be in order....nothing too high or low. Finally, i've had no cel's due to the intake (no cel's at all actually) and have noticed nothing from the intake except the added power and sound.

The intake didn't come with any sort of bracket. I'm not sure if a bracket is completely necessary, but made my own because I didn't like the thought to the intake bouncing up and down while I'm driving.

The only negative was when I ordered the intake, I only received the intake tube and silicone couplers, the K&N filter didn't come. Ken was very good about getting one shipped out to me, but I still had to buy a cheaper filter from Autozone to use until I got my K&N filter. I could have just waited for the K&N filter but having the intake sitting there for a week without putting it on would have drove me crazy :)

If you have any pics of your DIY bracket that would be cool. Post them up if you can.

Thanks!

Steve

the intake with the stiff coupler we ship does not move around or bounce around at all. once installed and clamped down you should notice no flex in the assembled and installed product.

we've been pretty quiet about rolling out these intakes and making modest revisions here or there. the current setup we have settled on has proven to be the best. judging by in house tests as well as customer feedback we feel its the best SRI for the money on this engine. beats paying $180 for a hose and plastic air horn to get the same result ;)

we're going to be adding filter options as well as powdercoat options in the coming week as summer starts to heat up.

Now you need to get your guys to make an inlet! Something like the RPMC or the CS out of 2.25" stainless or aluminum pipe would be nice.

the intake with the stiff coupler we ship does not move around or bounce around at all. once installed and clamped down you should notice no flex in the assembled and installed product.

That's probably true but when I had mine on and clamped down, and I pushed on it with my finger, it moved, so I made a bracket...

IMG00062-20090518-1626-1.jpg

IMG00062-20090518-1626zoom.jpg

I know, crappy camera pics but I hope you get the idea. Its bolted to the rubber thingy that the stock airbox snaps into.

Last edited:
Now you need to get your guys to make an inlet! Something like the RPMC or the CS out of 2.25" stainless or aluminum pipe would be nice.

I have the HTP inlet (in case you care lol)...all aluminum 2.5"...I like it alot

I'm curious why you guys used stainless instead of aluminum for your MAF meter housings? I'm guessing it's possible there is some sort of product patent issue or possibly your welders prefer stainless over aluminum. Either way, the weight difference is not an issue and the stainless is both stronger and more durable. Might be cool to have a TIP made of it.

I'm curious why you guys used stainless instead of aluminum for your MAF meter housings? I'm guessing it's possible there is some sort of product patent issue or possibly your welders prefer stainless over aluminum. Either way, the weight difference is not an issue and the stainless is both stronger and more durable. Might be cool to have a TIP made of it.

you are reading my mind sir :) stay tuned

Well I'm happy to report I finally received my PG SRI today. Apparently the holidays screwed things up at the post office last week and delayed it a bit, but Ken was helpful in providing tracking and looking into it. It was on my stoop this afternoon.

The housing looks well made and the clamps are the right size - not too long. Everything looks top notch.

Looking forward to installing it and enjoying the results in the next few days.

I will be changing the filter to a AEM dry flow, but that's it.

Now about that TIP......

here are some pictures to help with install as well. be sure the vent hose / fitting goes into the smaller hose as pictured. it needs to be pushed all the way in!

Attachments

• DSCN1085.JPG
    DSCN1085.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN1086.JPG
    DSCN1086.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCN1108.JPG
    DSCN1108.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN1109.JPG
    DSCN1109.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 236
Got it installed today. It was really easy.

One mentionable regarding the valve cover vent connection as Ken indicated to shove the silicone hose all the way over it. I actually connected it a little short of all the way on. The base or flange on the fitting of the PVC elbow has a stub that goes into a notch to locate the factory hose position on the OEM accordion elbow. If you put the new hose over this stub up against the flange, you can't get a good seal. Not unless you shove it all the way over the flange and on as far as possible as Ken has shown. I pulled it a bit shy of the stub and cranked the hell out of the worm clamp. It's sealed at this point but I'm sure it works fine either way.

It's installed and running without throwing any CEL. Sounds great to me and honestly in contrast to what I've read here, it's quieter than the CAI I had previously. Most guys say an SRI is louder than a CAI but in this case I disagree. The CAI tubing echos the noises from the turbo and the BPV. All that tubing is like a resonator. The SRI can't do that. However.... at the right throttle position, speed, and gear, it can still be pretty noisy. Like at 2500rpm and opening the throttle a good bit. When the motor is under load, it's louder. I took it easy on it today and plan to put more miles on it before give it a max test.

For daily driving and light throttle, it seems pretty quiet to me. More so than the CPE CAI anyway.

I like the sound so far. Guys with TBD trucks aren't the only ones that can make some turbo sounds!

In summary I'm quite happy with this no-nonsense, affordable, well made SRI.

If you're in the market for an SRI, I'd say the PG is definitely worth a look.

what does this mean?

drive (drv)
v. drove (drv), driven (drvn), driving, drives
v.tr.
1. To push, propel, or press onward forcibly; urge forward: drove the horses into the corral.
2. To repulse or put to flight by force or influence: drove the attackers away; drove out any thought of failure.
3. To guide, control, or direct (a vehicle).
a. To convey or transport in a vehicle: drove the children to school.
b. To traverse in a vehicle: drive the freeways to work.

v.intr.
1. To move along or advance quickly as if pushed by an impelling force.
2. To rush, dash, or advance violently against an obstruction: The wind drove into my face.
3. To operate a vehicle, such as a car.
4. To go or be transported in a vehicle: drove to the supermarket.

n.
1. The act of driving.
2. A trip or journey in a vehicle.
3. Abbr. Dr. A road for automobiles and other vehicles.
a. The means or apparatus for transmitting motion or power to a machine or from one machine part to another.
b. The position or operating condition of such a mechanism: "He put his car into drive and started home" (Charles Baxter).
c. The means by which automotive power is applied to a roadway: four-wheel drive.
d. The means or apparatus for controlling and directing an automobile: right-hand drive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

drivability n.
drivable adj.

basically, the way the car drives/behaves.

I think I know what he means. Apparently some intakes, especially those without air straighteners or non-stock MAF housing diameters can cause surging and other odd issues during steady driving. This intake does not make the motor behave this way. Car drives and acts like stock except for the added power and the added noises of both turbo whine and BPV.

Back