Exhaust - let's talk about this one!

wooot....getting the 1st resonator cut off on my racing beat catback today, I will report my results later. I also have a catless turbo xs downpipe and race pipe, so the only restriction left will be the ginormous muffler on the racing beat catback. I hope this makes the sound more intimidating.

ok, so I went and had the resonator removed and a 3" straight pipe put in...holy s*** is all I have to say. NOW the car sounds mean as **** and sounds like it has some balls to it compared to before. Before it just had the srt-4 tractor sound down low with a subtle growl...now it has that mennacing wrx/srt-4 growl and rumble to it. I am VERY pleased. Going underneath a bridge today I about made myself deaf when I hammered down on it. Still hardly any drone or volume inside, but outside, it is a whole different story. I recommend removing the resonator and getting a test pipe. It sounds amazing with the catless downpipe on it and test pipe, now removing the first resonator definately gave me the sound I was looking for. My car sounds like it has about 400 hp right now, its insane! :) You WILL be happy Dale!

Loud does not equal fast or quick.

Loud = CHEAP.

I prefer the sneak attack stealth approach. Better to be seen getting smaller pulling away than to be heard making noise.

Spend your hard earned money on the upstream part of the exhaust -- the DP/RP, and smile as you pull away from the loud crowd.

Last edited:
MSCBE is installed and i'm pretty satisfied with the purchase. The car doesn't seem tremendously fast or anything as that's not what I was expecting. And I hardly drove it hard to tell the difference yet, but i'm sure the car's going to have to re-learn things. The sound is incredibly addictive, almost subie-sounding with the windows down. Windows up, it's hardly noticeable and there is absolutely, 100% no drone.

We had some issues with fitment and lining everything up and I still have a tiny, hairline exhaust leak between the clamped area of the muffler. You didn't hear it or notice it until you started the car and lifted it back up on the lift, and put your ear right up next to it. And you can feel air put-putting from a tiny spot. But it hasn't caused a single issue so I may not worry about it really.

bein loud is the shittt, sry but scarin the s*** out of ppl through traffic and under bridges is amazing and highly amusing.. say **** it, run open dp =]

I'm finally reporting back after I installed the CP-e Catback. I'm really enjoying it. It's not much louder than the stocker, but has a more mellow sound. I got the 12" muffler. The fitment and quality was top notch, just like the other CP-e parts I have. The whole install was rather painless. I'm thinking about adding the SU Test pipe sometime in the near future. I think that would add some real kick to the system.
Here's the only pic I took. I should have dusted the tree pollen off first, but I didn't think it would show.

Attachments

• 000_0168.JPG
    000_0168.JPG
    414.5 KB · Views: 154
I also ended up picking up my MSCBE and i'm loving it! It's borderline STI sounding and it sounds fantastic at WOT. I'm not regretting it one bit!

I'm finally reporting back after I installed the CP-e Catback. I'm really enjoying it. It's not much louder than the stocker, but has a more mellow sound. I got the 12" muffler. The fitment and quality was top notch, just like the other CP-e parts I have. The whole install was rather painless. I'm thinking about adding the SU Test pipe sometime in the near future. I think that would add some real kick to the system.
Here's the only pic I took. I should have dusted the tree pollen off first, but I didn't think it would show.

im willin to bet once those cats r out she'll b makin alott more noise =]

I wanted to bring this thread up because I wanted to ask you guys something.

After having the MSCBE (and having install issues with the clamp -still have a pinhole exhaust leak spitting soot out..), it seems like i've basically lost torque, but gained power up top. The car has basically no oomph at 3,000, where it seems like it explodes at 4,000 rpm now. I can't break the tires loose in 2nd until the rpms shoot way up past 5000.

I'd imagine this is pretty typical since you're freeing up backpressure, that you'd lose torque, but gain hp? Or is this just the consequences of using too large of an exhaust on a car that never needed it to begin with? (like you guys all said - which i'm totally willing to admit now was a foolish purchase).

y are you saying its a foolish purchase? if you think you lost torque on the low end, try tuning to have higher load value's in the lower RPM ranges, i guarantee you wont be able to keep the tires on the ground once you do. the bigger sized exhaust does mroe than just free up power up top, you just have to tune to get what you want.

Honestly, i spin thru third ATM, i think your in a better position than i am if you dnt have to worry about all the spin.

Well, pretty much everyone said that the cbe is a useless purchase because the stock piping is sufficient flow for the stock turbo. It seems its absolutely right because I gained nothing out of the car other than sound (which is ok..) but lost low end torque.

I don't want to sound silly by basing my observations on my ability to rip the tires or not, but it doesn't seem like the low end is there like it used to.

I do remember the stock exhaust droning real heavily inside the car off throttle on the freeway where the MSCBE thankfully got rid of that completely for a much more acceptable note.

But this car is supposed to build boost by 2500, and at 3000 it feels like there's nothing there yet. Where as, if I do let em rip, the tach will gladly spin em and hang out at 6000 rpm which is odd considering its supposed to lose power there.

Could that small exhaust leak be causing any power issues? Right where the exhaust clamps together midway, there is a tiny leak that hasn't sealed since installing.

when i bolted this s*** out of my speed3 i lost some low end but gained TONS of mid and top end power. your allow a lot more airflow so low end the car cant build its pressure and doesnt have anything to push against. once your turbo spools and your motor hits that special blend of power and rpm the car flies like never before.

my car screams like never before but hooks up better as well. im not complaining.

I just recently had the MSCBE installed and notice the same loss which has been more noticeable at highway speeds. Seems like the rpm needs to be higher to get the same boost as stock.

Hoping that after I install the MSCAI there will be a little more power accessible in the lower ranger.

I have both installed and the car pulls great. I still keep my eyes glued to the Dashhawk and notice it doesn't strongly stay at 15, it tapers quickly. But, i've also tried every other solution to fix that and nothing.

I'm considering re-installing stock, that is, if it's even possible to re-weld after the way we cut the stock exhaust..

I have both installed and the car pulls great. I still keep my eyes glued to the Dashhawk and notice it doesn't strongly stay at 15, it tapers quickly. But, i've also tried every other solution to fix that and nothing.

I'm considering re-installing stock, that is, if it's even possible to re-weld after the way we cut the stock exhaust..

I don't think the difference between your MSCBE and stock is much more than sound. I don't think it is affecting your torque or causing your boost spool up. This is just coincidence, IMHO. Consider really checking all the hoses, tubes and clamps on the intake side.

You'd also be surprised how little changes in weather, temp, humidity, etc., can have a big effect on how your ECU talks to the engine.

When you say your boost tapers at 15, what rpm range and what gear are you monitoring. Yes, it will taper once you get past 5,800 rpm when the engine is under load, and that would be normal. And the point in which your boost gauge will show you coming up on boost will also vary depending on weather, depending on gear and depending on rpm when you start the roll.

I appreciate the info, but I'm def not new to the car (well aware of the 5500 rpm cut off). I'm tapering real quick well before the 5500. And there's not that much room between 3000 and 5500. So just as quickly as it builds boost, it bleeds it right off. Just don't make sense. I've tried checking all the clamps and tubes. Still nothing. Maybe I haven't checked the right ones?

Back