Rust on Inner Door Panel

I was washing my CX-5 yesterday and upon drying the inside of the doors, I noticed some bubbling on the inside lower seam (pinch weld) of the passenger side rear door. I began to peel away the seam sealer and was blown away by the rust. I checked the other side in the same area and there are no signs of rust. There must have been a problem with the seam seal that allowed moisture into this area. It goes into the body shop next week. I hope this was a one off and not the start of corrosion issues.

This vehicle does have high mileage, but I am the original owner and had it oil sprayed (Krown) every year.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JMsD1BdUSS37nNmQo2Wa4LRwFY3RsC12

It*s definitely been repaired there. Even if you are the original owner, cars get damaged in transport or during test drives.

I ordered the vehicle and it had 8km on it when I bought it. I think the likelihood of a factory defect is more likely than it being repaired.

Im not sure how you could tell from a photo that the area had been repaired. All I see is corrosion.

Prior to removing the paint and seam seal, it looked like a factory job - not aftermarket. The body shop also believed it was an issue from the factory with the application of the seam sealer.

Both Krown and Mazda only cover perforation - so Im eating the cost of having it repaired.

Last edited:
The cars are rust free when they leave the factory. That has had that gray primer added since. I don*t know what*s happened but that car has had a repair since it came off the ship.

Looks like port shipping damage/repair to me. There is some rule about when repairs have to be disclosed to customer, something like >$750. I'd pursue with the dealer to get a goodwill repair.

- Mark

Does anyone have a literature to prove that the grey primer is not from the factory?

I would be willing to bring it to the dealer to have them answer to it, however, I will need something to back up the comments in this thread.

Phone Mazda US. While you*ve had the car, has it been into somewhere for some work done where they*ve said *we need the car for another day*? That car did not leave the ship like that. It*s been done since it arrived.

Just saved the image to my photos and zoomed it in. I reckon somebody has backed into something with the door open and if you clean all that crap off it*s been welded. There should be evidence on the outside of the door too. It was either done at the dealer before you bought it or somewhere where you left it since.

Item 47 on the second list, Rust proof steel. That is intended for duration of warranty not 3 weeks on a boat.

Attachments

• BODY COMPONENTS CONSTRUCTION [CONSTRUCTION].pdf
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 346
  • Body panels.pdf
    808.4 KB · Views: 322
Does anyone have a literature to prove that the grey primer is not from the factory?

I would be willing to bring it to the dealer to have them answer to it, however, I will need something to back up the comments in this thread.
I agree with Anchorman that a vehicle shouldn't get the rust like that in that area even if it's 4~5 years old. I also suspect it's been repaired in that area, although the repair for whatever the reason is very strange to me. Usually the damage to the door, especially to a new car, the shop would use a whole new door, as the repair to that door edge is very difficult. And the other question we don't know is who did the repair before you purchased the CX-5 when new.

You should contact Mazda Canada and show them the picture as this's something unusual and unreasonable. But I believe you should leave it as it and shouldn't scrape the paint off otherwise Mazda Canada may refuse any possible compensation because of it.

The picture is after the area was scrapped off. Originally, you saw the seam sealer and some bubbles in the paint.

The area has not been welded. You can clearly see the punch weld is intact. The shading is the metal discolouring from corrosion. I will ask the body shop what they think tomorrow.

I will go to the dealer on Monday and then call Mazda Canada but I would very surprised is anyone is willing to take ownership.

Last edited:
Is that rust along the bottom too? I don't know what to think about this damage.

Door.jpg

You*re seeing residue from the oil spray on the bottom. I cleaned the area up a bit more. There is no rust about 1/2* from the bottom of the door and you can see where the rust stops at the top. It looks like it stops right at the edge of the door.

The guy at the body shop seemed to think moisture got in behind the seam sealer and started the corrosion. There are no welds or filler - just corrosion.

Yes there is. Theres no paint because its been burned off. I know what a repair looks like but you dont seem to want to accept it. There will also be something under that lower trim on the outside.

Not much point going back and too.

A body shop would know if it is a repaired door. The picture makes it look like there was filler on the corner which would be a horrible repair. If it was repaired it was done by a DIYer.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread. First, I would not assume that the car has had prior rework. I'm not sure why people are saying that, other than to just make the OP feel bad about an already frustrating situation or to feel better about themselves. Yes, cars can be damaged during delivery, at the port, or even in the factory. Typically these are repaired using techniques and materials equivalent to the original production. Said another way, the repair is virtually indistinguishable from original, and of equivalent quality as the original (not worse). So I'd be interested in knowing how someone can look at a somewhat grainy photo of a door after the paint and seam sealer have been scraped off, and so confidently assume it's been repainted.

Second, in practical terms, there's no such thing as rust proof steel -- sorry, but that's just an euphemism or poor writing. The correct term is corrosion resistant steel. All steel will eventually rust in real world usage. The purpose of galvanization is to extend the majority of corrosion beyond the useful life of the car. But that doesn't mean the car is impervious to corrosion. Further, at a microscopic level, there's no such thing as a car being truly "rust free", even when brand new. The surface of steel contains pores, and other microscopic crevices. Fresh uncoated steel will corrode at a microscopic level when exposed to humidity. The steel is cleaned before stamping and galvanization/primer/paint to try and remove this. Sometimes, corrosion in these small crevices is missed, and over time it can grow. Sometimes, the cleaning job is subpar. The galvanization process can help with that. But, galvanization isn't perfect either. It's a sacrificial coating (anode), and will slowly sacrifice itself to save the underlying steel (cathode). Further, if the door was hot-dipped galvanized at the factory as a finished subassembly, then the galvanization may not penetrate well into the seam. This where the seam sealer is supposed to help lock out humdity and salt to inhibit corrosion. However, if the steel wasn't perfectly clean, corrosion may grow inside the seam over time.

FWIW, I had a 2012 Mazda3 that developed rust from one of the spot welds on the interior portion of the door frame. It was very clear that rust was developing from inside the weld joint. I think Mazda has gotten better on their rust protection, but I personally think they still have some catching up to do.

Last edited:
There is misinformation in the thread now.

Save the photo and have a proper look at it. Why would the sealer be scraped off when new and then left that way? The repair has been primed and quite badly too. You can see wire brush marks in it.

Leave the owner thinking his paint has peeled off under the door seal for no apparent reason if you think it will make him feel better, it doesn*t really matter to me.

Last edited:
Back