20' Enclosed Race Trailer "Build"

Great work! My only suggestion would be to make sure the outlets are ground fault protected! You could see damp conditions and better safe than not! [emoji6][emoji1303]

They're not...it'd take quite a flood to get them actually wet though. Damp / humid, sure, but there's the A/C unit to help things dry out. They are properly grounded to the chassis though.

They're not...it'd take quite a flood to get them actually wet though. Damp / humid, sure, but there's the A/C unit to help things dry out. They are properly grounded to the chassis though.

Its you being wet touching a cord or tool or anything that might have a fault.....just a suggestion, but I highly recommend it...short money too!

New 6000 lb D-rings (with backing plates) are in. They're positioned where they need to be for where the car will sit, but they ended up just perfectly positioned to keep the winch cable happy (ie: straight). I was pretty sure it'd be about right from eyeballing it, but it's dead on.

Got my cheapo Home Depot tire rack built. The 4 support 'struts' will all have a single E Track pocket so I can ratchet strap them down. 2 trailer spares fit in the open spot to the right of the race tires.

I also added a section of E track under it primarily as a bumper to keep the kart off the wall, but also because it'll be useful to store stuff there when the Kart's not travelling with us.

Its you being wet touching a cord or tool or anything that might have a fault.....just a suggestion, but I highly recommend it...short money too!

That's a fair point, and an easy thing to add.

After getting all the storage & E Track set up, I did another general loading.
Things learned:
1. I need more E-Track D rings. I thought I had enough, but I could use another 2 or 4.
2. While I can unload the car with the splitter on, loading the car with it on results in bending mounts and popping the splitter off. In the future, don't do that. Thankfully I have another 2 months before my next event in the car :lol:

Other than that, it looks like this'll work great. I'm really excited to put some miles on it :D

And of course, the all-important E Track bottle opener :lol:

Last edited:
I approve of this thread! :D

My inner ricer thinks that some vinyl shots of the car in action wrapping the exterior panels would be a cool touch. :)

I approve of this thread! :D

My inner ricer thinks that some vinyl shots of the car in action wrapping the exterior panels would be a cool touch. :)

That's not a bad thought, but part of my security strategy for this thing is for it to be a dumb ugly bad looking trailer from the outside. I have considered stickering it up, but you know what kinda person puts a bunch of race stickers on the side of a trailer? The kind of person who might have a race car inside that trailer.

So, I kinda want to keep the profile low when it's not at an event.

That's not a bad thought, but part of my security strategy for this thing is for it to be a dumb ugly bad looking trailer from the outside. I have considered stickering it up, but you know what kinda person puts a bunch of race stickers on the side of a trailer? The kind of person who might have a race car inside that trailer.

Forgot to ask, whats up with the motor?

I completely understand your thinking. It's a shame you have to think like that but bad people are bad.
Forgot to ask, whats up with the motor?
X2.

The K24? Same as the plan's been since last year: It goes in after Chasing the Dragon in August.

Well, last year, the plan was "It goes in after Chasing the Dragon, which has always been in May or June..." but the event got pushed back at the beginning of the year, and by that time, it was too late to get it done before, which sucks, but alas.

The K24? Same as the plan's been since last year: It goes in after Chasing the Dragon in August.

Well, last year, the plan was "It goes in after Chasing the Dragon, which has always been in May or June..." but the event got pushed back at the beginning of the year, and by that time, it was too late to get it done before, which sucks, but alas.

Ok, for some reason I thought your motor was dead? Trailer looks awesome!!!

Ok, for some reason I thought your motor was dead? Trailer looks awesome!!!

It was, until he remembered to put gas in it. (rofl2)

Looks great. I would imagine your lift would fit nicely inside. Now I just need to find myself a tow vehicle for my late-night raid, er, visit to Casa Maff...

It was, until he remembered to put gas in it. (rofl2)

Oh right! Yeah, that happened too (rlaugh)

Looks great. I would imagine your lift would fit nicely inside. Now I just need to find myself a tow vehicle for my late-night raid, er, visit to Casa Maff...

Man how rad would that be? Pretty tight confines in there for actually working on stuff though. Definitely come visit. We've got a spare bed :D

Great work on the trailer.

Just one concern is how the genny is tied up?

Yes and no, the fisheye lens makes it look a lot closer to the car than it is. It's all the way at the bottom of the dove tail, which basically traps it against the door, and it's really heavy, so it won't be moving to the open part of the trailer barring something REALLY bad happening. Like, trailer on its side type bad. And if that happens, the generator hanging from the side will be the least of my concerns. I'm comfortable with it.

I didn't set out to build the Atlanta Region a new clubhouse, but sometimes you just luck into things :D

The first outing was a great success. I couldn't be happier. I found a couple of small storage tweaks that need to be made here and there for securing a couple things, but no real catastrophes and nothing that wasn't easily rectified. I'm super pleased with how it did.
The jack even got the trailer off the ball with the WD hitch (which sticks out further, and as such is even more problematic for my hill) without any lumber, just the drop leg and nearly all its throw, but it did it. Sketchier'n frig, as always, but it'll have to do.

I didn't set out to build the Atlanta Region a new clubhouse, but sometimes you just luck into things :D

The first outing was a great success. I couldn't be happier. I found a couple of small storage tweaks that need to be made here and there for securing a couple things, but no real catastrophes and nothing that wasn't easily rectified. I'm super pleased with how it did.
The jack even got the trailer off the ball with the WD hitch (which sticks out further, and as such is even more problematic for my hill) without any lumber, just the drop leg and nearly all its throw, but it did it. Sketchier'n frig, as always, but it'll have to do.

Nice shady spot! Looks great Andrew!

I've aquired a small new tongue lock....
It covers the coupler so you can't get a pry bar in, secures the chains so they can't be used to snatch it, and is made of 1/4" steel, with a billet aluminum lock body. Nothing's 100% fool proof, but it's a pretty good deterrent :)

I've aquired a small new tongue lock....
It covers the coupler so you can't get a pry bar in, secures the chains so they can't be used to snatch it, and is made of 1/4" steel, with a billet aluminum lock body. Nothing's 100% fool proof, but it's a pretty good deterrent :)

Oh, thats definitely fool proof!

Oh, thats definitely fool proof!

I dunno about that. Let's say it's more "fool resistant" than most (rlaugh)

Gimme enough tools and enough time and I could crack that nut, but the idea is to be slightly less attractive than the alternatives. Of course, this also helps as a security feature :D

3. shorter diff for the tow pig

Got this done this weekend. Used the trailer to haul a couple beds to the Salvation Army and take a 45 min or so interstate test drive. It's WAAAY happier on the 3.36 than it was on the 2.94. It's not a huge bump, but the 600 RPM bump at 70 means it's got enough juice to maintain and gain a few mph on medium grades without a downshift, vs being under 2000 RPM where, if you farted in my general direction on even the slightest hill, the needle on the speedo was going backwards.

It was, generally speaking, a straight-forward swap. Not a spec of real rust (a bit of surface rust on stuff like the exhaust and flanges here and there), most of the nuts and bolts look brand new, which was nice. 3 hours spent and I have a happier tow pig.

Back