CX-5 Turbo warm up time?

@Snorting2.5 did you say your graph is for the 2.5 NA engine ? And with a cold start delete?

If that is the case i am not sure it is the same for the 2.5 turbo cold starts.

Last edited:
I don’t have data to back it up, but I think it is significantly different. My 2.5T feels totally different until the coolant temp is out of the blue zone. And I don’t mean sluggish because of the oils are cold like in my other cars, i mean like it feels like a totally different tune or as if it is naturally aspirated. Like i said before, it feels like the turbo is being bypassed. I know you mentioned the torque converter lock up, but it feels significantly more than different than just the torque converter.

I don’t have data to back it up, but I think it is significantly different. My 2.5T feels totally different until the coolant temp is out of the blue zone. And I don’t mean sluggish because of the oils are cold like in my other cars, i mean like it feels like a totally different tune or as if it is naturally aspirated. Like i said before, it feels like the turbo is being bypassed. I know you mentioned the torque converter lock up, but it feels significantly more than different than just the torque converter.
I can ask my tuner, as he deals with turbo and non. But I assure you it won't be a drastic difference.

The 2.5t does operate differently until you get some heat in both the engine oil and coolant. Boost is limited and VVT runs a "cold" map as part of boost control. EGR control is also different until you've passed at least ~160* coolant temp. The transmission will also change TCC operation until there is some heat in the fluid, it is a much lower threshold closer to 90* depending on the specific vehicle application. It will slip-lock a little bit longer after that to bring the temp up quicker, again dependent on the vehicle application.

I just purchased my first Mazda with the 2.5 turbo, this is my first turbo vehicle. I watched some YouTube videos on turbo’s and a lot of the “expert mechanics” said the car needs to run for 5 to 15 minutes before driving. Their reasoning was getting warm oil flowing thru the turbo to prevent damage to the bearings. I’m guessing if one lived in the very cold climates that might be a good idea. However, the owner’s manual stated that once the engine runs smooth, coming down off of the high idle, start driving. I live in central Florida so I will never be dealing with those cold mornings. So…..for those of you that have a vast amount of knowledge and experience with turbo engines what is your advice?
Here is the benchmark for turbo truth -- so revolting to owners that are misinformed -- it was moved from CX-5 latest to the general lounge --- watch it and take good care of your car

Here is the benchmark for turbo truth -- so revolting to owners that are misinformed -- it was moved from CX-5 latest to the general lounge --- watch it and take good care of your car
Thank you. This is one of the videos that I referred to in my original post. Although I live in a warm climate I think I’ll let the engine warm up a little longer than a NA engine. I’m retired and don’t have to get anywhere in a hurry.

Thank you. This is one of the videos that I referred to in my original post. Although I live in a warm climate I think I’ll let the engine warm up a little longer than a NA engine. I’m retired and don’t have to get anywhere in a hurry.
let it cool too ..particularly if you drove it hard before stopping - change the oil like crazy - use premium fuel , keep the air filter clean - change yer plugs at 40-45 and make that bad boy last 200k !
I think some are offended by this info - likely because they havent been doing these things - but hey - its never to late to start good habits !

Last edited:
You can let it warm up all you want, but honestly you are taking his recommendations out of context.

In the video, he mentioned “let it warm up a little longer in extreme cold conditions”. That is sound general advice for every component in your car, especially your turbo and also your NA engine for that matter. But it is not relevant for the southern united states climate. If it is -22F outside, then yes let it warm up a bit longer, but in 50F weather it won’t make that big of a difference.

The OP in Florida should be more concerned about the cooldown. There is even a paragraph in the owner manual about it, but then again you don’t need to get a shut off timer and let it run for a few minutes when you park. Unless you live right off an highway offramp, easy driving in your neighbourhood before you get home should be sufficient.

Last edited:
If you were hard on the engine (like sustained 4000+rpm plus) 5 min of normal driving before parking is sufficient, and better than to simply idle.

Yes, it was moved to the Lounge because it has nothing to do with the CX-5. When I moved the thread, I made sure to note that, and you should have received a notification explaining why it was moved. It was also explained in the thread itself.

That video sucks. Amazes me in this day and age that people still make absolute awful videos like that.
"5 things you should do if you have a turbo..."
But first..let me spend 5 minutes explaining what a Turbo is... Hate that on videos, reviews, websites...

Yes, it was moved to the Lounge because it has nothing to do with the CX-5. When I moved the thread, I made sure to note that, and you should have received a notification explaining why it was moved. It was also explained in the thread itself.
- I can understand that the warmup ---turbo subject is a stand alone issue - if thats the only critera - thanks

I li
I shouldn't have to elaborate, but maybe I do.

Just so you're aware, I have the turbo motor with 5W-30 oil. 5W-30 is rated to flow to as low as -22°F.

In case you missed it, I gave two scenarios above. One for normal conditions where I start driving when Mazda's AWS brings the engine down to its normal idle. Extended warmup time is not necessary.

The other is for days like today, when it's -20°F. We're on the bleeding edge of what this oil is capable of, so I'd much rather make sure its circulating a little better before I give the engine a load. There is greater risk from carelessness than giving it an extra 30-60 seconds in these conditions.

So I've done two things to help out my car: one is described above. The second is that I'm using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum which has the best cold flow property of almost any oil on the market.

There is no need for further pedantics. I think I've explained my position well enough, and won't post here again.
I like your posts - keep posting - dont always agree - but dont give up cuz u got pushed. !

That video sucks. Amazes me in this day and age that people still make absolute awful videos like that.
"5 things you should do if you have a turbo..."
But first..let me spend 5 minutes explaining what a Turbo is... Hate that on videos, reviews, websites...
Ok - what SPECIFICALLY do you disagree with ?- I mean , if you have a valid disagreement with the content that this Master Mechanic - who has rebuilt countless engines says .....then I say you have a duty ....my friend ...to point those things out ! Please try to support your conclusions with evidence - im very intrested in where you find fault with these points - thanks !

Last edited:
You missed my point. I didn't watch the video because i hate videos or write ups like that.
"5 things you should do with your turbo! But first, a full 5 minutes on WHAT is a turbo." Or
"Recipe for super yummy food...let me spend 5 paragraphs telling you why I like this food"...

I will say though that people who frequent a forum on cars are probably NOT the demographic that need help on how to take care of a turbo car. ;)

Last edited:
I just purchased my first Mazda with the 2.5 turbo, this is my first turbo vehicle. I watched some YouTube videos on turbo’s and a lot of the “expert mechanics” said the car needs to run for 5 to 15 minutes before driving. Their reasoning was getting warm oil flowing thru the turbo to prevent damage to the bearings. I’m guessing if one lived in the very cold climates that might be a good idea. However, the owner’s manual stated that once the engine runs smooth, coming down off of the high idle, start driving. I live in central Florida so I will never be dealing with those cold mornings. So…..for those of you that have a vast amount of knowledge and experience with turbo engines what is your advice?
Ok, alot of information in this thread if its newer then 2017 it will not let you wind your turbo up let alone your engine if its 2 cold out it will basically start screaming at you "flashing light and a beeper going off" you will know it gives u a mini heartattack "ask me how i know" as it does it and then regulates you.

This is the same across cx5 and cx9 stole 5 other cars of different model years and tried it scared myself each time. Basically wont let you do anything till out of the blue zone if to cold

Back