CX-5 Brake issue at 17,000 miles

Excellent result for you @theplayer11 . I'm glad the dealer did you a solid. Just keep an eye on your brakes for lubing up slides with your harsh winters there.

One of the best tips for Mazda brakes in general, is to relube the caliper slide pins once a year if you live somewhere with snow and once every two years everywhere else

Hello, I recently changed my rear brake pad on my mazda CX5 2016. After run it 2 days my wife smell something like rubber, then she saw little smoke came out of my rear right brake. Then i went to the local workshop to check if my rear brake have a problem. After few hour they found out inside my caliper piston there's something broken, its like this tiny pin. i just need your confirmation, is it really broken or its just the caliper piston part.

Attachments

• IMG-20230222-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20230222-WA0009.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-20230222-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20230222-WA0008.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 78
Did you put your vehicle in maintenance mode before starting that work?
I'm unsure if they put it or not, but my concern is, what is that tiny snap ring? Anyone here knows? Is it normally like that or really broken? Because I'm saw this image on other thread somewhere on the internet, but until now no answer. I did screenshot the image but the technical drawing im unsure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230318-095436933.jpg
    Screenshot_20230318-095436933.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20230318-101439438.jpg
    Screenshot_20230318-101439438.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 57
I'm unsure if they put it or not, ....
When you wrote; "I recently changed my rear brake pad", I naturally assumed that you did the work yourself, and could discuss exactly what was done. But when a shop does the work, no one here can possibly know what they did.

The small piece in the picture is probably one end of the return spring, but why it broke is not something that anyone can say for certain. Although we might suspect that the shop made a mistake during the brake pad install (turning the piston instead of just pushing it back in), that's impossible to prove, because things do sometimes just break on their own, due to a manufacturing defect.

IMO, you probably won't have any success by claiming they made a mistake, but that certainly would be up to you. When you deal with a shop, you are generally at their mercy, and all you can hope for is that they have enough integrity and pride in their work to make it good, if it was their mistake. Good luck, and I hope it works out ok for you.

When you wrote; "I recently changed my rear brake pad", I naturally assumed that you did the work yourself, and could discuss exactly what was done. But when a shop does the work, no one here can possibly know what they did.

The small piece in the picture is probably one end of the return spring, but why it broke is not something that anyone can say for certain. Although we might suspect that the shop made a mistake during the brake pad install (turning the piston instead of just pushing it back in), that's impossible to prove, because things do sometimes just break on their own, due to a manufacturing defect.

IMO, you probably won't have any success by claiming they made a mistake, but that certainly would be up to you. When you deal with a shop, you are generally at their mercy, and all you can hope for is that they have enough integrity and pride in their work to make it good, if it was their mistake. Good luck, and I hope it works out ok for you.
Then i have to buy new calipers. I think this is also the culprit that made my EPB flashing. Hopefully after I change to new calipers, things are going back to normal. If anyone here have experience please share, I can't find the permanent fix for this problem on the internet. One more thing, what if I change all my brake system to brembo front and rear, will this add up to my successful fix to this issue?

Then i have to buy new calipers. I think this is also the culprit that made my EPB flashing. Hopefully after I change to new calipers, things are going back to normal. If anyone here have experience please share, I can't find the permanent fix for this problem on the internet. One more thing, what if I change all my brake system to brembo front and rear, will this add up to my successful fix to this issue?
You have a 2016 CX-5 and you should read this TSB:

TSB R052/16C - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

I remember some member here posted a picture of a small piece of metal similar to your description found inside of the caliper when he took the EPB caliper apart trying to fix the mistake he made failing to put the EPB in maintenance mode and turned the caliper piston. IMO you can argue with the brake shop as they are the one replaced the rear brakes just recently and now the brakes are having problems. They should be responsible to fix the problem.

But the factory rear disk calipers on 2016 CX-5 with EPB do have problems which will cause dragging issue. It’s time to get a pair of new and revised OEM rear disk calipers and find another good brake shop to replace them. I’d mention to them the EPB maintenance mode and not turning the caliper piston in advance just in case.

Changing ALL your brake system front and rear to Brembo to add up the chance fixing your issue? No, it won’t. Firstly Brembo doesn’t make CX-5’s rear EPB disk calipers and your problem is just that. Secondly replacing the front disk brakes has nothing to do with your rear brake problem. I wouldn’t spend money to replace the front brakes if they still in good working condition.

You have a 2016 CX-5 and you should read this TSB:

TSB R052/16C - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

I remember some member here posted a picture of a small piece of metal similar to your description found inside of the caliper when he took the EPB caliper apart trying to fix the mistake he made failing to put the EPB in maintenance mode and turned the caliper piston. IMO you can argue with the brake shop as they are the one replaced the rear brakes just recently and now the brakes are having problems. They should be responsible to fix the problem.

But the factory rear disk calipers on 2016 CX-5 with EPB do have problems which will cause dragging issue. It’s time to get a pair of new and revised OEM rear disk calipers and find another good brake shop to replace them. I’d mention to them the EPB maintenance mode and not turning the caliper piston in advance just in case.

Changing ALL your brake system front and rear to Brembo to add up the chance fixing your issue? No, it won’t. Firstly Brembo doesn’t make CX-5’s rear EPB disk calipers and your problem is just that. Secondly replacing the front disk brakes has nothing to do with your rear brake problem. I wouldn’t spend money to replace the front brakes if they still in good working condition.
Thanks for the reply. Yesterday, I went to the workshop that working with my brake pad at first. They dont know anything about maintenance mode. So when they try to compress the piston, it wont move, so the twist it in. That what I learn from them. But the guy doing with the job at first has resigned. Then when I double check again by visual, I found out my connector to actuator motor have been broken. Sigh, I have to buy caliper, motor and rotor both side and hoping this EPB flashing can be resolved.

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday, I went to the workshop that working with my brake pad at first. They dont know anything about maintenance mode. So when they try to compress the piston, it wont move, so the twist it in. That what I learn from them. But the guy doing with the job at first has resigned. Then when I double check again by visual, I found out my connector to actuator motor have been broken. Sigh, I have to buy caliper, motor and rotor both side and hoping this EPB flashing can be resolved.
No you don't have to buy that stuff....the shop does. They messed it up because the goofs didn't bother doing their homework on Mazda rear brakes with the EPB system.
Do NOT pay for this stuff yourself. It's their fault and their problem.

This is EXACTLY what happens when you go to an independent shop that doesn't work on Mazda's.
They think they know what they are doing, and mess up your car as a result. When it comes to the rear brakes, I'm very tempted just to let the dealer take care of it.

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday, I went to the workshop that working with my brake pad at first. They dont know anything about maintenance mode. So when they try to compress the piston, it wont move, so the twist it in. That what I learn from them. But the guy doing with the job at first has resigned.
So the shop doesn’t honor any warranty to fix the problem they made? That’s absurd!

My experience with Brakes Plus, which is a national chain, is excellent. I wonder if you can find one nearby? I’d always mention the EPB Maintenance Mode AND not turning the caliper piston in advance no matter what if I want to have an independent brake shop doing the rear brakes on the 2016 and newer CX-5 with EPB.

Then when I double check again by visual, I found out my connector to actuator motor have been broken. Sigh, I have to buy caliper, motor and rotor both side and hoping this EPB flashing can be resolved.
Here is the parts list to replace rear disk brake calipers based on the TSB R052/16C:

2016 CX-5
Part NamePart NumberQ’tyMSRPSale Price
CALIPER (R)KAY0-26-61XA1$178.51$127.44
CALIPER (L)KAY0-26-71XA1$181.13$129.31
GASKET9956-21-0004$2.78$2.09
SEAL KIT, MOTORKAY0-26-44Z2$15.10$11.33
PAD SUB SET,KAY0-26-48Z1$80.78$58.64
PLATE, DISCK011-26-251B /
K011-26-251C
2$99.95$72.55

Of course the price is pre-pandemic now can be much higher.

Usually you can re-use the EPB motor unless they broke the motor connector so bad which can’t be fixed.

So the shop doesn’t honor any warranty to fix the problem they made? That’s absurd!

My experience with Brakes Plus, which is a national chain, is excellent. I wonder if you can find one nearby? I’d always mention the EPB Maintenance Mode AND not turning the caliper piston in advance no matter what if I want to have an independent brake shop doing the rear brakes on the 2016 and newer CX-5 with EPB.

Here is the parts list to replace rear disk brake calipers based on the TSB R052/16C:

2016 CX-5
Part NamePart NumberQ’tyMSRPSale Price
CALIPER (R)KAY0-26-61XA1$178.51$127.44
CALIPER (L)KAY0-26-71XA1$181.13$129.31
GASKET9956-21-0004$2.78$2.09
SEAL KIT, MOTORKAY0-26-44Z2$15.10$11.33
PAD SUB SET,KAY0-26-48Z1$80.78$58.64
PLATE, DISCK011-26-251B /
K011-26-251C
2$99.95$72.55

Of course the price is pre-pandemic now can be much higher.

Usually you can re-use the EPB motor unless they broke the motor connector so bad which can’t be fixed.
Its really good if you in a country that parts are everywhere, I live in Brunei and part are limited. I went to my local dealer to ask for quotation and its really horrifying to see the price. My caliper for both L/R ($1800), my actuator motor L/R ($1800), Disc Brake rotor L/R ($1000) and Brake pad ($320). All of this are not available here and they have to order it direct from Japan.

Its really good if you in a country that parts are everywhere, I live in Brunei and part are limited. I went to my local dealer to ask for quotation and its really horrifying to see the price. My caliper for both L/R ($1800), my actuator motor L/R ($1800), Disc Brake rotor L/R ($1000) and Brake pad ($320). All of this are not available here and they have to order it direct from Japan.

Wow. All the more reason to have the shop fix the problem they caused. Do NOT pay for these parts or service out of your own pocket, if you can help it (not sure how things are handled in Brunei, though). I would be contacting a news reporter at the very least.

Wow. All the more reason to have the shop fix the problem they caused. Do NOT pay for these parts or service out of your own pocket, if you can help it (not sure how things are handled in Brunei, though). I would be contacting a news reporter at the very least.
I did inform them about my problem to the workshop today, the owner said that they don't want to fix it because I don't have proof and the mechanics already resigned so there's nothing they can do. So yeah, I have to buy it myself. Thank you guys for replying.

That’s bad news. They clearly broke it by not activating maintenance mode and by turning the piston in : (

I did inform them about my problem to the workshop today, the owner said that they don't want to fix it because I don't have proof and the mechanics already resigned so there's nothing they can do. So yeah, I have to buy it myself. Thank you guys for replying.

That's horrible. Sounds like a terrible shop that deserves all of the bad publicity they can get. It shouldn't matter that the mechanic who worked on your car is no longer employed by them, the work was performed while he was employed by that company, so they should be held responsible for the mistakes their mechanic made.

With such expensive costs to buy from the dealer, I would take the list of parts provided by @yrwei52 above and see if an independent shop or other dealership can get you the same parts at a lower price (plus the motor(s)). Maybe even try contacting the head office of Mazda in Brunei for assistance in parts cost, it's worth a try.

Depending on how the import regulation for an individual handled in Brunei, you can try this OEM parts seller partsouq.com for your need. Partsouq.com is an international OEM automotive parts seller located in Sharjah, north of Dubai, United Arab Emirates. They sometimes are selling popular OEM parts such as Mazda’s oil control valve solenoid (PE01-14-420A) on US eBay site for much better price than US Mazda dealers. There’re people here in this forum have tried getting Mazda OEM parts from them. Somehow they managed fast shipping to the US and the parts are legit OEM.

You can use the same Mazda part numbers on my list to order calipers and other necessary parts. You shouldn’t need the EPB motor unless the damaged connector on it isn’t fixable.

You can read this discussion to understand more on your rear EPB disk caliper questions:

EPB Caliper Question

If you do need EPB motors here’s the part number for the driver side:

838585D4-5F72-40F1-87B5-30BF6BB2A8F6.jpeg

5EDF0DD5-50D6-450F-B12A-F445080CD33F.jpeg

What a cop-out by these guys. Proof? They have all the proof they need. Brutal. They are absolutely 100% responsible for this mess, and should be paying to fix their mistake.
If they have to, they should go after their mechanic that quit, and get him to pay for it. He quit for a reason, knowing full well he screwed up. He didn't want to have to pay for his mistake, so he ran (that's my guess).
If all else fails, go to the media (social or otherwise) or a lawyer if you have to. Shame these guys into paying. Maybe if enough people hear about your situation, their business will be affected in a negative way.

Back