2018 to 2023 CX-5 2.5 NA Owners with high mileage. How is your car doing?

I stumbled across a review from cararac.com (Mazda Cylinder Deactivation Problem – Reasons and Ways to Cope With).

In the review, there was one particular paragraph mentioned by the author stating that the owners of 2.5 NA with cylinder deactivation, are feeling that their mazda vehicles are having excessive oil consumption, typically starting from 30,000 miles.

1679063236424.png

I don't see any source mentioned by the author or whether he or his publication conducted a focus group on it.

So I thought of starting a discussion to check on the 2.5 NA (2018 and up) high mileage owners, on how their cars are doing. Are you observing any excessive oil consumption?

NOTE: This is NOT for the 2.5 Turbo owners, who have an existing TSB of excessive oil consumption (DTC P250F:00 - Engine oil level signal: engine oil level low)

Please refer to this existing thread. It's not specific to oil consumption, but any reports would ideally pop up in there.

What this guy wrote is IMO rambling, disjointed, and is obviously lacking in anything resembling proof of his CD oil consumption claim (and much of the other stuff as well). Some of us here have multiple significant concerns related to our Mazda CD engines, however I've seen VERY little being written by owners about CD oil consumption.

In my own case, we have 2 of them in the family, one at 59K miles and the other at 40K, and neither one of them has any detectable oil consumption whatsoever, with 5K OCIs. Although I typically save much of what I read, what this guy wrote is definitely not going to be one of them.

What this guy wrote is IMO rambling, disjointed, and is obviously lacking in anything resembling proof of his CD oil consumption claim (and much of the other stuff as well). Some of us here have multiple significant concerns related to our Mazda CD engines, however I've seen VERY little being written by owners about CD oil consumption.

In my own case, we have 2 of them in the family, one at 59K miles and the other at 40K, and neither one of them has any detectable oil consumption whatsoever, with 5K OCIs. Although I typically save much of what I read, what this guy wrote is definitely not going to be one of them.
Couldn't agree more. I found two sentences in the entire article that came close to the issue of "oil consumption" but failed to directly explain it. I've highlighted those 2 sentences and more importantly 3 words in bold which address it directly below in quotes. Most if not all auto manufactures have gone to low tension rings in an effort to meet ever increasing NHTSA fuel efficiency standards. While this does help with efficiency it does so with increased risk of oil consumption. Oil simply has an easier path to bypass the rings and inter the combustion chamber as the ring lands become contaminated with carbon deposits with age and normal wear this problem goes up exponentially. Best way to deal with it is simple. 5K OCI with good oil! You've obviously figured this out already...

"The fact that piston rings require both combustion and compression pressure to function was one issue that was addressed. This is because rings' spring tension is insufficient to push them firmly against the cylinder walls to create and maintain a positive seal between their sealing surfaces and the walls."

So i have recently had the dreaded oil consumption issue. 2021 CX-5 Turbo (GTR) with 27,000 miles. All of my oil changes have been on 6-month intervals and between 3-6k miles, below the 7.5k advice from the service manual. Took it to the dealer and told them about the TSB. They said they recently had one other car in for the same issue. They then changed the oil to get a baseline they like on the oil level. Said to drive it 1000 miles and check the oil. When i checked, it was a 1/2 qt low. Dropped it off Monday for them to start the diagnostic process with Mazda. Now waiting for a status call-back. :(

I will also mention the TSB on cracked cylinder head in case there an issue start there.

So i have recently had the dreaded oil consumption issue. 2021 CX-5 Turbo (GTR) with 27,000 miles. All of my oil changes have been on 6-month intervals and between 3-6k miles, below the 7.5k advice from the service manual. Took it to the dealer and told them about the TSB. They said they recently had one other car in for the same issue. They then changed the oil to get a baseline they like on the oil level. Said to drive it 1000 miles and check the oil. When i checked, it was a 1/2 qt low. Dropped it off Monday for them to start the diagnostic process with Mazda. Now waiting for a status call-back. :(

I will also mention the TSB on cracked cylinder head in case there an issue start there.

Unfortunately the '21 MY turbo models have a high rate of oil consumption; some manufacturing defect occurred during that year's model production because it doesn't seem nearly as prevalent in all the other model years.

Back