CX-90 pricing in Canada out of hand

pic01

:
Mazda 6
Wow, the Mazda CX-9 2016.5 model that I have now will be the last one and I will do my best to keep it as long as I can.
Mazda have said a year or two ago that it is aiming at the luxury market, they are now out of reach unless you have a very good paying job.
At 60K+, yes Mazda is aging for more money from you.
The new model looks nice, but with the experience that I have with my first generation CX-9, wait at least two years before you buy one because the first version will come with omissions in the design, witch does not account for Canada's winter.

Well the current Cx-9 starts at 42500 and the cx-90 starts at 45000.

The current CX-9 signature is 54,000$

That is pretty similar. That is more car price inflation than a move upmarket.
Also those are in canadian dollar.

Think you forgot to mention the cx90 signature price which is 10k higher than the current one.

My dealer send me monthly quotes on 2023 CX-9 GT at a price of 59k.
My CX-9 was purchased at 46K in 2016.
Yes the CX-90 is a newer model, inflation has been taken into account also explaining the high cost of replacing my actual Cx-9. It just too much. Sorry Mazda either I downsize or look elsewhere.

But for now I am keeping my CX-9 Mazda. Besides it's flaws I will keep it for many more years to come.
I usually keep my car for 10+ years, so in 2026+ I should replace it. But electrical cars will be more common and I will see what will be available then.

Well. Mazda made some interesting changes to the trims. Basic CX-90 GS does not have any leather parts and only manually adjustable seats. For 45K you get a rubber steering wheel. GS-L does not have heated 2nd row. To get a sunroof now you need to add Enhanced package. GT does not have ventilated seats in the front and no seat memory. Also only comes with basic 4way power passenger seat. You need to get GT-P to get all these upgrades and this is already 59K +2K for delivery charges. Which means also luxury car tax in bc. Total of 15 % all taxes combined. So now we actually talking approx 70K+. That hurts. Somehow I have got a feeling that CX - 70 will be priced similarly to current CX-9 or might be even slightly more expensive.

My dealer send me monthly quotes on 2023 CX-9 GT at a price of 59k.
My CX-9 was purchased at 46K in 2016.
Yes the CX-90 is a newer model, inflation has been taken into account also explaining the high cost of replacing my actual Cx-9. It just too much. Sorry Mazda either I downsize or look elsewhere.
Yeah. I paid approx 58K for my CX-9 GT 2022 in July last year. Signed agreement at the end of April. Factory order with production scheduled to begin in June. Got my car after 2.5 months in the end. Super happy with the car at this moment. Very adequate for my needs with sufficient trunk space and useful 3rd row. We had a great summer with it last year. So definitely will be keeping it for as long as I can. My wife's cx 5 is slowly aging. Starting 9th year soon, so I will keep an eye on the coming CX-70.

Well. Mazda made some interesting changes to the trims. Basic CX-90 GS does not have any leather parts and only manually adjustable seats. For 45K you get a rubber steering wheel. GS-L does not have heated 2nd row. To get a sunroof now you need to add Enhanced package. GT does not have ventilated seats in the front and no seat memory. Also only comes with basic 4way power passenger seat. You need to get GT-P to get all these upgrades and this is already 59K +2K for delivery charges. Which means also luxury car tax in bc. Total of 15 % all taxes combined. So now we actually talking approx 70K+. That hurts. Somehow I have got a feeling that CX - 70 will be priced similarly to current CX-9 or might be even slightly more expensive.

Do you have a link where you get the info in all the accessories per trim ? That would be interesting.

But honestly the way you mention it, it is pretty much in line with the equipment and price of the current cx-9. The current GS may have a leather steering wheel but everything else is still cloth in it.

As I said, this is the price of three row SUV nowadays. A Hyundai Pallisade is $50000 to $59000.
A Honda Pilot starts at $52000 and ends at $64000
A ford explorer starts at 48000 and ends at 67000

Still talking in terms of Canadian dollar of course. I agree these three row SUV prices are getting really high, but this is not luxury pricing anymore.

It might also be worth noting that these are MSRP prices. I negotiated the deal on my 2018 CX-9 Signature to include a lot of extras and an extension on the basic warranty, and came out paying just under MSRP after taxes and fees (though this was in Calgary AB, so only 5% sales tax). This will likely be a low-volume vehicle for them, so I expect that there will be some room for negotiation, and there will also be some incentives (such as the Mazda Loyalty Rebate).

Do you have a link where you get the info in all the accessories per trim ? That would be interesting.

But honestly the way you mention it, it is pretty much in line with the equipment and price of the current cx-9. The current GS may have a leather steering wheel but everything else is still cloth in it.

As I said, this is the price of three row SUV nowadays. A Hyundai Pallisade is $50000 to $59000.
A Honda Pilot starts at $52000 and ends at $64000
A ford explorer starts at 48000 and ends at 67000

Still talking in terms of Canadian dollar of course. I agree these three row SUV prices are getting really high, but this is not luxury pricing anymore.
All the info is from the press release you can find in this thread:
CX-90 Trim details, Pricing and fuel economy press release. The very first post.

The current prices are a bit out of line with inflation, at least in the US, but not outrageously so.

I paid 34k out the door in 2010 for a GT model, which is about $45k inflation adjusted to today's dollars. Mine doesn't have AWD, so I will bump it up to $47k. The closest model now appears to be somewhere around the Turbo Preferred or Turbo Premium, which are $48-51k based on Mazda's configurator (MSRP+destination). Add on another 6% for tax and the current equivalent model is somewhere around $51-54k before negotiating and discounts off MSRP. I don't know if these will be selling $4-7k off sticker, but we shall see. The CX-9 could be had for several thousand under MSRP recently but the 90 probably won't be discounted as much initially.

The difference now is that Mazda has stacked an entire premium trim level above the GT/Signature, which used to be the top of the line. I really wish Mazda would go back to 3-4 trims and more a la carte options. It used to be possible to get a top of the line GT with the nicest interior without things like a sunroof, tow package, Bose radio, navigation, etc. Mazda stopped this years ago and went to a limited number of configurations with bundled options. I'd appreciate the option of the nicest "nappa leather" and higher tuned engine without a sunroof as I am tall and headroom is more important to me. Not currently possible.

Change that 54k to 65k in Ontario Canada as of 8th June 2023. I was at local dealer yesterday. They want full price.

Yes. This is the printed price on broucher from Mazda Canada in Milton Ontario. Did you get a lower price than MSRP?

The CX-90 Signature is $63.3k. I believe the top trim has been this price since it was released. I think you're confusing models.

The CX-9 Signature is still $54k.

If I could find a cx 9 GS I'd buy one, looking around now at the cx 90. GS comes out this fall in Canada, but GS-L is an additional 5k compared to GS. I'm trying to figure out what I'm paying 5k for and if for me it is worth the difference.

If I could find a cx 9 GS I'd buy one, looking around now at the cx 90. GS comes out this fall in Canada, but GS-L is an additional 5k compared to GS. I'm trying to figure out what I'm paying 5k for and if for me it is worth the difference.
Hello I'm from Canada too but not in the market for a 3 row SUV! Check out Mazda Canada website. This will show what you're looking for.

Thanks. Comparing GS and GS-L. The more I look the more inclined I am to stick with the GS or wait for a used CX9 GS to come up.

I don't know what's out of hand anymore. I was watching the QX60 for the longest time, and now suddenly the sensory trim is almost 72k. I'm pretty sure that was recently 66k.

MDX A Spec starts at 70k

Suddenly the CX90 is looking better.

New car prices have followed the trend of the used car market and have increased like crazy. To make matters worst the interest rate is significantly higher.

I am hoping that demand will slow down with the increased rate and prices will get adjusted, but that likely will take at least a year or two.

Back